surgery in DR

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
i am back home, feeling somehow weak. the operation was a lot more invasive than expected as mioma significantly grew in size. i shall report my hospital adventure tomorrow :)
It must have been a dv8'ed myoma.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Not dead then?? So i don't get contents of wardrobe in spare room? On balance though, glad you are alive and well ish

matilda

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Good to hear you are still alive! Like my mom says bad weeds don't die! Get well soon so you can go back to your...ummm...cruddy self :) ;) :bunny: :bunny:

NotLurking

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my mother thinks i heal like a viralata :) but i expect that this time a full recovery will last months. on the good sides i annoyed enfermeras with my ideal blood pressure and heart functions, no infection, no bleeding and being generally too lively :)
all girls from on the shift came to visit a crazy gringa because as soon as they took me from an operating room i demanded pizza :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
who knew them buggers could grow so fast?
i shall drug myslef to sleep now. gee, how i wish i had the stuff they pumped me with for the surgery! i felt nothing....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
being hospitalized in DR

i do not have much experience with hospitals, frankly, i hate them. so no, i was not looking forward to being operated. but one has to do what one has to do...

clinica union is a big private hospital, quite good from what i gather. we decided on that because that's where my ginecologo is, in addition miesposo's aunt is one of the directors/owners. i was admitted in the morning, canalized (for sueros) and then a wait started. i was set up in a private suite, quite big, very comfortable, two rooms, bathroom, all amenities. nurses were coming in every two hours to check on me and finally a big dude arrived with a wheel chair - i was ready to go. everything was surprisingly smooth and easy. pre-op area was clean, plenty of nurses checking on patients, really nice care. i was shocked to see that every other woman was there for a cesarean, they must perform them by thousands in DR...

the operation itself was not much. i was promptly sedated because of a mega headache (from hunger), then epidural (only local anesthetic). much to my surprise my doctor showed me the fruits of his labour, it is not often than a woman can see her uterus from few centimeters away :)

after the operation i was taken to the recovery room to keep an eye on my vitals and then released back to the room. i was admitted at 11am, operated at 6pm and back in the suite at 10pm so everything was fairly quick. again, kudos to the nurses, i have never seen such caring and professional behaviour. they were excellent, polite and very helpful.

i was released almost exactly 24hr after the operation, mainly by my own request. as i said: i do not like hospitals, i could not sleep, i wanted to go home. luckily i heal very well and i deal well with pain. so there i am, at home with my cats, who do not let me out of their sight and follow me everywhere i go - the buggers know i am not well. the pain is bearable - after medication ;)

to sum it up: i am very happy with my hospital stay. i have no complains whatsoever. i was skeptical about this operation, joking that is will be performed by the janitor and i will be filleted like a fish. but in reality it went really well and i can truly recommend both my doctor and the hospital itself. yes, i know, maybe the service was so good because i was paying for it, cold hard cash (well, than and the insurance) but nonetheless - it was well above my expectations.

as far as the costs: i was released without paying. not even a deposit (it's good to have a family in high places) but by monday i should receive the bill. the operation itself was 12000 pesos, 90% covered by insurance. room was 5500 pesos per night (insurance only covers about 2000 pesos of that). then they charge you for every syringe, suero and medicine you have used - this is why the final cotizacion takes so long.

oh, i forgot, we also left some money to the nurses. they are not supposed to accept anything from the patients but i felt they did a great job. we'd get them some nice sweets but there was no time so we just left monies for them to share. they did a fantastic job.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Glad to hear they took good care of you

and if you run out of painkillers I have a feeling you know where to get more !
manu

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they called today with the total: 24k pesos. that's after the insurance. i wonder what the heck does the operation cost include because it ain't doctors fees nor the meds used. oh well, at least all is done and i'm getting better :)

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
they called today with the total: 24k pesos. that's after the insurance. i wonder what the heck does the operation cost include because it ain't doctors fees nor the meds used. oh well, at least all is done and i'm getting better :)
aask for detailed total bill so you know where even insurance mony went silly woman. You got mucho time on your hands and better spent doin book work that eatin pizza and worryin bout new bakery that opened. lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
:) the bill will be picked up by a friend so i will see all the details.
and yes, i was surprised that private health care works here so well. dr1ers do not seem to be impressed with dominican health system but i tell ya, if you have money it's more than fine. public hospitals are a different thing, i am sure... :(

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Although I was not impressed with the nursing care at HOMS (I am a hard nursing critic), my doctors were great, so was the Emergency and the suite where my son was during his care. I would go there anytime.

SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just to report i am doing great, almost back to my old self. but gosh, how it hurts to sneeze! :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i did abuse matilda, who brought me some gorgeous looking cake, but i am saving it for later :)
i do think we will visit this place soon, miesposo's eyes went all shiny and teary when matilda described the shop... ;)
also, we may drill the owner about some ingredients he uses, we have not seen wholeweat flour for a long time and we would love to know where to get rye flour and other things for breads and buns.