Sweet Potato

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I like the orange sweet potato better than the white sweet potato as I find it is much more moist.
But, you cannot compare it to the white,-non-sweet, potato. I think the Dominican non-sweet white potatoes to be some of the best tasting potatoes I have ever eaten!

Not empiric,- sorry,- just an opinion of one!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is one of those things here that just makes no sense. Why not have "real" sweet potatoes that are grown here? Far superior to a local white "batata"?

Similarly the lack of yellow lemons and good eating oranges including seedless varieties remain a mystery as to why the powers that be don't allow them to be grown.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Sweet potatoes are much more nutritious than white potatoes, and are only distantly related to them. Check out Wikipedia (in both English and Spanish) for details. I do not claim to be an expert.

can you provide the exact link regarding your statement above?

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
I like the orange sweet potato better than the white sweet potato as I find it is much more moist.
But, you cannot compare it to the white,-non-sweet, potato. I think the Dominican non-sweet white potatoes to be some of the best tasting potatoes I have ever eaten!

Not empiric,- sorry,- just an opinion of one!

I agree, but once you get used to the 'taste' of white non sweet potato, it is adictive LOL,

Do they still feed children with it as their first solid food?, it is/was a tradition, there must be a reason for it.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
It is one of those things here that just makes no sense. Why not have "real" sweet potatoes that are grown here? Far superior to a local white "batata"?

Similarly the lack of yellow lemons and good eating oranges including seedless varieties remain a mystery as to why the powers that be don't allow them to be grown.

tradition,culture, local taste

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013