TACKY TOURIST?

H

Hubert

folks,
I agree with most things said about the socalled tacky tourist. When in that island paradise, DR, I treat the local people with respect. These are a proud, friendly, helpful people. If you can?t treat the Dominicano with respect, stay out. Clapping hands if you want to be served ? Whats Diz ? Here in Europe we have no problems with topless bathing, but if it offends the Dominicanos, don?t do it ! You want to adhere to this practice no matter where you are, be tough and try it in Morocco or Egypt, see what happens ! I liked the bit (in an earlier posting) about the middle-aged, big belly with a teen-aged muchacha. That really ticks me off. Had me an incident in Cuba last year, some big German hitting on a (very) young senorita, who was trying to get away from this guy at the Malecon.
I intervened in spanish, der herr was offended and tried something. He learned to regret it real quick. Enjoy la Republica Dominicana, be generous and not the bully. You don?t allow people to visit your house, disrespect you and put their feet on your table, do ya ?

S

Sarah

More on "hand clapping"...

Well, the Dominican friends that I learned this "hand clapping" custom from (maybe it's just done in the south?) must be sin cultura then. But they do still do it to this day in Barahona. I should say that women don't generally do it, it's the men that do it when they want to order something else or to ask for the check. I don't think it's done in a disrespectful manner. Sometimes the music is so loud there's no other way to get anyones attention. I just assumed it was a cultural difference. I can remember that it actually frightened me the first few times I was out and witnessed it. I couldn't figure out what they were doing. Oh well, if Dominicans are telling me it's disrespectful, then I'll encourage people to stop doing it. Sorry if I offended anyone, just reporting what I've experienced.

S

Sarah

Please see my "hand clapping" post above...again, I apologize if I offended anyone.

E

Eddy

Re: TACKY TOURIST/TOPLESS

In all the years I've been here, I've never heard of Dominicans being offended with topless bathing. I own/manage some Condos and frenquently some of our guests are topless in the pool area. I've never seen any of the Dominican staff bat an eye. (OK maybe the real pretty ones) I also had former employees work at the "Clothing optional "nudist" resort near Rio San Juan and once again no big thing.

R

Richard

no matter where you go in tourist areas of the West indies I think you will pay more than a local. Even in Sosua, resident ex-pats get a discount at thesupermarkets. To me that is no big deal.

R

Richard

yes Eddy, but when is the last time, no, make it the first time you saw a Dominican woman take off her top at the beach?

R

Richard

right hubert. respect is what it is all about. nothing more, nothing less.

K

Keith

Can't say that I've witnessed the hand clapping in restaurants in all my years associated with the DR, but I have seen what I call "leaky tires" -- a sort of hissing that to be called "whistling" would give it a higher status than it deserves. This "pssst!" call to waiters has always bothered me, and many of the Dominicans I know (starting with my wife and suegra) insist that it is strictly "sin educacion" to do it. But one sees/hears it much in the DR, not only from some Dominicans but also from tourists (perhaps imitating what they think is the proper local custom?). It is certainly not a strictly Dominican thing -- I have witnessed the same in Brazil and other nations in the hemisphere. But there too it is considered "low class."
Regards,
Keith

S

Sarah

I agree, the "pssst!" thing is extremely irritating. I would not call it whistling either. I've learned to completely ignore it. And I certainly don't do it. Also, like you, I've noticed it elsewhere in the world...even here in the US! I can't imagine why you've not seen the "hand clapping" thing. I notice it everytime I'm there. And I really did think it was a locally accepted custom. Once again, live and learn.

E

Eddy

Richard, you're right I never saw one. But some Dominican women are much more open minded in several ways.

R

Richard

right Eddy and very honestly i see absolutely nothing wrong with women going topless at a hotel pool when management permits it, I was referring more to it being done on the beaches such as Sosua beach.

E

Eddy

I agree with you. Most foreigners an many Dominicans don?t have any problems with topless on beaches, however it is not as yet common in this country. Who knows in a few years but for now tourists could limit their topless activities to isolated beaches or resort/hotel pool areas.

R

Roberto

good said Eddy

You are A perfect Exemple of A good Foreigner
that should be adopted as A Dominican fore you contibutions with this Well Behaving between Local And Foreigner
and concratulation to the others Friends of yours as well

Regards

Roberto

H

Henry

Richard you are right and when I do it my dog, like Joseph said, he turns his back to me and walk away.
Have a nice day,
Henry

C

CES

Hi Richard,

Your "tacky" post ;) is 100% on the dime, good manners are always the mark of an understanding guest, period. . .

For the unsuspecting let me tell you a "dirty little secret" from the food /beverage service industry, if you give your waiter a bad time then you might be in line for "something very special"- food, drinks, etc. that have been tampered with, if you get the picture.

If you are a guest, in any situation, and refuse to understand the local customs, house rules, your host's back ground, etc. then you are, by definition, a "Tacky" visitor, guest, tourist. . .

Regards,

. . . CES

G

Greg and Connie Wales

Re: TACKY TOURIST?/TACKY HOST?

I've really appreciated this thread. (It's similar to the theme Lizette proposed on the other board about dos and don'ts)

It's interesting to get the views of such a diverse cross-section of contributors to the thread.

Richard, you thought the practice of supermarkets charging ex-pats less in Sosua was ok. Of course, it is only the business of the merchant and patron concerned to transact their exchange as they wish. At the same time, it challenges a tourist's charitable nature (assuming he has one)to be generous when informed that even the supermarkets have two price structures, one for the locals and one for the tourists.

Regards,
Gregory Wales

W

William Leslie

Re: TACKY TOURIST?/TACKY HOST/Just sound Business

On the other hand even American & Canadian BANKS give loan discounts to "favoured clients" That is the ones that use them more frequently and over a period of time spend/borrow/save more money.
An ex-pat is no different as he uses that stores services almost daily in some cases and that store wants to maintain his long term business.