take care of DR doctors

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
. . . One thing I like about medical care in the DR is docs can prescribe common-sense therapies without an aggressive ambulance-chasing trial lawyer watching over their shoulder. That's one reason medical care in the DR is a fraction of the U.S.

Excellent point. And re "your anthraquinones and cancer in humans" tale, here's a story from the 1960s (Scientific American article I think). A government funded university grant found a carcinogen in some stuff they painted on rats' tummies several times a day and after several months. The bureau-rats in DC banned the stuff. And the nerdy kids at the U got a new grant for another test. I'm sure they went on to government sinecures.

Later the tests were repeated by real scientists not working for government cheese, and they found that the rats developed tumors because of the close shaves the kids were continuously giving their little tummies.

Thank God that the DR has not reached such a "developed" state that I can still have a choice between doctors, between medicines and between non-processed foods. But not for long. The helpful hands of lawyers and insurers, from both the private and public sectors, are every year reaching farther on, increasing the costs and rigamarole of butt-inskis that lie between the citizen and doctors, medicines and foods.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I hate conspiracy theories.
I do, however, know very well what the Pharmaceutical industry is doing with the population all around the world. I know, for example, that they sabotage any line of investigation that could cure chronic diseases like diabetes, cancer or AIDS. Instead they "develop" drugs that keep these patients alive for a certain time, while they keep consuming these drugs. I know, for example, that they took Brazil to international patent courts because they were using generic versions of some antiretroviral drugs to fight the once horrible AIDS outbreak among their people, and this white collar drug lords denied the sale to Brazil of their drugs at a reduce price. Same happened in Africa and other places. I know FDA enforces terribly long test periods to any new drugs, while they let alone many others that are later found to be dangerous, with their corresponding "oops".
So, really, I couldn't care less about what the pharmaceutical industry or even the FDA says about anything. I don't take any medicine for non life-theratening situations (colds, headaches, etc), BTW...

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
My wife's friend died in a Santo Domingo hospital two weeks ago, she was an otherwise bright, ambitious and vibrant 23 year old. She was taken to the hospital after having a bad reaction to some pancakes. The friends who took her to to the hospital say her death was avoidable, if the hospital had acted more quickly. But instead of promptly treating her, there was a delay to ensure that she could pay for their services.

I certainly understand the point about ambulance chasing lawyers but if my daughter died because a hospital worker was delaying to ensure they were paid, I would want retribution from the hospital, in the most effective form, money damages. If that is not possible in the DR, that is part of a problem, not a positive aspect of the society. How will that ever change if the hospitals and doctors can be lazy incompetent louts, with impunity?

Excellent point. And re "your anthraquinones and cancer in humans" tale, here's a story from the 1960s (Scientific American article I think). A government funded university grant found a carcinogen in some stuff they painted on rats' tummies several times a day and after several months. The bureau-rats in DC banned the stuff. And the nerdy kids at the U got a new grant for another test. I'm sure they went on to government sinecures.

Later the tests were repeated by real scientists not working for government cheese, and they found that the rats developed tumors because of the close shaves the kids were continuously giving their little tummies.

Thank God that the DR has not reached such a "developed" state that I can still have a choice between doctors, between medicines and between non-processed foods. But not for long. The helpful hands of lawyers and insurers, from both the private and public sectors, are every year reaching farther on, increasing the costs and rigamarole of butt-inskis that lie between the citizen and doctors, medicines and foods.

Dec 26, 2011
My wife's friend died in a Santo Domingo hospital two weeks ago, she was an otherwise bright, ambitious and vibrant 23 year old. She was taken to the hospital after having a bad reaction to some pancakes. The friends who took her to to the hospital say her death was avoidable, if the hospital had acted more quickly. But instead of promptly treating her, there was a delay to ensure that she could pay for their services.

My then-BIL was allowed to die at 38 because we couldn't or wouldn't cooperate with the "shakedown".

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My wife's friend died in a Santo Domingo hospital two weeks ago, she was an otherwise bright, ambitious and vibrant 23 year old. She was taken to the hospital after having a bad reaction to some pancakes.

care to elaborate? she had allergic reaction? something in pancakes was off (milk, eggs)?

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
You know, I was confused about that myself. Pancakes, at least the kind I make, are a pretty innocuous food. To be honest, I do not know the exact anatomy of her downfall. What I know is that a group of friends were gathered to hang out and they made some pancakes. After the meal, the girl fell ill. Maybe it wasn't the pancakes that got her, maybe it was something else. All I can tell you is that those are the bare facts. Pancake meal, fall ill, rush to hospital, delay, death.

care to elaborate? she had allergic reaction? something in pancakes was off (milk, eggs)?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i see. i wonder what was the cause of death. was there no autopsy? even for the sake of her friends who now think they have killed her...

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Yes, there was an autopsia and the official cause of death had something to do with respiratory failure of some kind. How that could be induced by some Aunt Jamima's, I am not sure. The poor girl was not a close friend, rather a member of the coro but the consensus of the friends who transported her to the hospital was that delayed treatment at the hospital were at the very least contributing factors.

I met the young woman who died a couple of times and she struck me as a responsible and promising person. Pretty sad.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Yes, there was an autopsia and the official cause of death had something to do with respiratory failure of some kind. How that could be induced by some Aunt Jamima's, I am not sure. The poor girl was not a close friend, rather a member of the coro but the consensus of the friends who transported her to the hospital was that delayed treatment at the hospital were at the very least contributing factors.

I met the young woman who died a couple of times and she struck me as a responsible and promising person. Pretty sad.

What hospital was that?