Tarantulas invasion...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I haven't seen one yet during any of my visits. I'm eagerly awaiting the appearance of the first fuzzy creature. I might put a tiny collar on him and keep him/her as a "watch spider" to battle the giant roaches.

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
OK. Stop it now. Spiders really creep me out. Tarantulas. Please tell me they aren't on the North Coast. Sosua/Cabarete. I'm never coming back to this thread!

They're not there yet but when I was driving down from POP to STI they were headed that way :D

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
when i was young, we had such nice creatures like Tarantulas, Red and Black Skorpions, Boa Constrictors etc in nice big and expensive Terrariums in the house. that was back in da day on the other side of the big water puddle.
todays i live on a tropical island where i have all those animals for free(hey, they been expensive in europe and difficult to keep happy) and i dont even need to feed them, as they chase heir own blondes and have fun in other people's shower sinks. and here they can be Free and Happy.

Mike

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
This time of the year the mails also leave their holes to find a mate. After they are done, try to eat them. They are all over the country. In may- june we have many baby tarantulas trying to find their way. Since we have screens pritty well sealed, have not had them in the house. I have been bitten by one and that was very painfull. A centipede bite is even more painfull though.

If you don't upset them they will not bather you!

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Yes yes and yes.

Yes I have screen but no window so it's not completely and perfectly sealed.
Yes I live on a first floor and there is little space under the door.
Yes I live on the NC, in Munoz, near Playa Dorada.

And YES, every day I check my shower, bathroom, walls, drapes, etc... because I'm getting parano over these ugly things. Even my cats don't even get close.

WE, (cats and me) were not raised with these things. We are from the North... far far away, Qu?bec, were it's cold almost all year long.

Like I said, it was the first time in 3 full years living here, that I had any (tarantula) in my appatment. I'll continue to check, even doing rounds at night with the flashlight, veryfing the drapes and ceilings... Until spring I hope...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you just didn't check good enoughbefore, so you missed them in your sleep, but they sure always been there, specially now when the lil holes stay occupied by water this time of the year

Mike

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
They're not there yet but when I was driving down from POP to STI they were headed that way :D

Yup, they're here...

cacata.jpg

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Interesting animals

Spiders, specially Tarantulas, are very interesting animals.
They don't have muscles but move with hydraulics, every year they get a new "skin" and when they have "minor injuries" like a missing leg, this leg will come back! They eat mice, cockroaches, other spiders, centipedes, frogs and all other things that run around on the ground and are needed to keep the "bug-balance" in nature. Here in the DR we have mainly the ground-types, they life in the ground and, as already mentioned, come out when it starts to rain heavily. They have no intention of biting bigger animals than their prey but when approached they will defend themselves. Their bite is like a wasp-sting, they have another effective defense-mechanism: they scrape off hairs from the back of their body which they "catapult" into the air and irritate the airways. So please don't kill them but gently "guide" them out of your house.
Good luck!

tarantula_hand_480w-e1303344842238-640x300.jpg

Last edited:

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152609157051275&set=vb.611471274&type=2&theater[/video]

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I live in the Uvero Alto area and this year I have only had one where normally I get 15 to 20. This is there mating season plus with the recent rains they tend to be more visable. My biggest concern is a new resort will be built next door to us and they are starting the land clearing in January. I can only imagine whats going to crawl over here then.