Taxes and bring TV back from U.S.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
..........I have brought down 3 tvs , all In my luggage , 32inch is about the limit...take out of the box.. all stickers off , never a problem, always though santiago, wrap in a new towel . walmart sells for about $130, a premium towel is about $7. AT pricemart in santiago the TV is about $400 and the towel is priceless, never see here..............

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have ordered 3 tv's from amazon over the years, all under $200 and all arrived scratch free

I was on Amazon a couple days ago looking to have an item shipped here and the DR was not listed as a country that they ship to internationally(?). How much did you pay to ship each TV?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Shipped mine to Miami address. Paid 5.000 Pesos to deliver it here by air (24 pounds). 40 inch Sharp TV, under US$200, no tax. Bought on bestbuy.com

You first had it shipped to a Miami address? Who did you use to ship it down here?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks guys :) will probably try the suitcase thing. I'm afraid of shipping it and having it arrive broken :-/ maybe a projector might not be such a bad idea after all.

There are a couple of problems with putting a 32" TV in a suitecase to bring on a plane. One is that a large suitecase is nearing the size limit that airlines will allow and also could be a weight issue. Make sure you find out from your airline what you can use. You will also have to pay for an addtional bag being checked in. Also now in most airports in the DR they xray your luggage when you come into the country and it is difficult to hide a large suitecase from customs.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I brought a new TV (32", under 200.00) in a large suitcase, but in still in the new box. They took it out, I showed them the receipt and payed my porter 20.00 tip (all smiles). No problem, but you must have the receipt for under 200.00. oh, POP. You can buy now a new led 32" TV at Frys for under 100.00, they were sorta shocked! I also carried the promo with the receipt.

singletravel

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
There are a couple of problems with putting a 32" TV in a suitecase to bring on a plane. One is that a large suitecase is nearing the size limit that airlines will allow and also could be a weight issue. Make sure you find out from your airline what you can use. You will also have to pay for an addtional bag being checked in. Also now in most airports in the DR they xray your luggage when you come into the country and it is difficult to hide a large suitecase from customs.
Steve you are right....32 inch is the limit,the tv has little weight only few pounds, all airlines I have flown the limit is 50pounds per bag, on delta extra bag is free, on suncountry $25, some airlines allow up to 3 free bags,....in santiago they have only xray my luggage one time, and didnt say anything, if you go through punta cana. I just did few weeks ago , there was no customs, only a very fast stamp in my passport, and of course the $10 ...they were getting the hundreds of tourist out of there as fast as possible, more planes landing....when I come from new york, mostly Dominicans on plane ,they all have about 5 large luggage never declare anything on customs form, the Dominicans taught me that...........

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Steve you are right....32 inch is the limit,the tv has little weight only few pounds, all airlines I have flown the limit is 50pounds per bag, on delta extra bag is free, on suncountry $25, some airlines allow up to 3 free bags,....in santiago they have only xray my luggage one time, and didnt say anything, if you go through punta cana. I just did few weeks ago , there was no customs, only a very fast stamp in my passport, and of course the $10 ...they were getting the hundreds of tourist out of there as fast as possible, more planes landing....when I come from new york, mostly Dominicans on plane ,they all have about 5 large luggage never declare anything on customs form, the Dominicans taught me that...........

I'm curious what airline allows 3 free bags? I only know of Southwest that allows any free.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm curious what airline allows 3 free bags? I only know of Southwest that allows any free.

Depends on the seat class. We flew AA, business/first class, two free bags up to 70 pounds.  Coach was no free bags, first bag $25. Second was more.  

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
https://www.latam.com/en_us/

You can fly on Sundays from PUJ to MIA both ways. Two free bags and one of the newest planes made. (Dreamliner} Cost is $203 to MIA and $159 to PUJ. Very nice if it fits your travel plans.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
when I come from new york, mostly Dominicans on plane ,they all have about 5 large luggage never declare anything on customs form, the Dominicans taught me that...........

5 maletas ?!! Not my experience, flying from NY. I always get hold up by the ones arguing about payinga fee for the extra maleta and/or the ones redistributing from one maleta other the others because of weight.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
5 maletas ?!! Not my experience, flying from NY. I always get hold up by the ones arguing about payinga fee for the extra maleta and/or the ones redistributing from one maleta other the others because of weight.

Five is possible with a family traveling but you won't see a single traveler with 5 pieces of luggage.

Yes, the shifting game is funny and they always wait until at the counter to do it when most airports have a scale somewhere before you get to the check-in counter.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Five is possible with a family traveling but you won't see a single traveler with 5 pieces of luggage.

Yes, the shifting game is funny and they always wait until at the counter to do it when most airports have a scale somewhere before you get to the check-in counter.

Let me add that self checking is the worst idea for DR flights !! There I said it :lick:

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

yes I know what you mean, that flight from NYC,JFK on Delta Is like a circus with no ring leader,......I have been on it , and have been the only non Dominican.........But when you arrive at Santiago, the Dominican people go to one customs, the non Dominicans to another, like I said I was the only non Dominican,so was the only person at that customs....... Very easy ......Doc.................

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Depends on the seat class. We flew AA, business/first class, two free bags up to 70 pounds.  Coach was no free bags, first bag $25. Second was more.  

That's the new class of service on AA, reduced benefits, lower price.
No bags.... one fare has no free carry on .... cheapest one 

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yes on Delta... in first class... you get the 2 extra bags free, plus the standard 1st free bag..........

You are paying a very high rate for first class. That get's you the extra bags but is it really free? You've paid a ridiculous amount to sit in the front of the plane.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You are paying a very high rate for first class. That get's you the extra bags but is it really free? You've paid a ridiculous amount to sit in the front of the plane.

Not necessarily, if you are an elite frequent flyer member you quite often get free upgrades to Business First. United allows 2 bags up to 70lbs, plus carry-on, plus personal bag in Business First all free.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
No my man. On my last trip on Delta I flew first class. I paid $75.00 more than I would have in coach. But in first class your weight limit on your first two bags is 70 pounds. And that's almost like getting a third bag free in coach. Plus in first class you get free drinks. I tried Jack Daniels Honey. It rocks. I had to cut myself back or else I would have been wasted when I got off the plane. Plus bigger seat, no screaming babes and better food. It was a no brainer for me.

It should be noted that I had a 24" computer monitor in my bag wrapped in a towel just as suggested. TSA inspected my luggage and they did not place my items back in the same way that I had packed them originally. My monitor was busted when I opened the bag and unpacked it. It was a stark comparison to just having a 24" TV shipped here through Miami using MBE. No problems. Just saying...