Taxi from STI vs. rental car

Vawner

Feb 7, 2007
Hi all,
I'm arriving in Santiago for a couple weeks starting the 8th, and was wondering how much I should expect to pay for a taxi from STI to the Hodelpa Gran Almirante hotel.
Since I'll be in the country 2-3 weeks, and would like to visit the north coast, i thought of renting a car instead. However, from what I've read in the forum, renting a car seems to be discouraged - any thoughts?

thanks

drny

Jun 12, 2007
Hi all,
I'm arriving in Santiago for a couple weeks starting the 8th, and was wondering how much I should expect to pay for a taxi from STI to the Hodelpa Gran Almirante hotel.
Since I'll be in the country 2-3 weeks, and would like to visit the north coast, i thought of renting a car instead. However, from what I've read in the forum, renting a car seems to be discouraged - any thoughts?

thanks

From STI to the Gran Almirante should only be about 100 pesos+ tip. What you decide to do for the following 2-3 weeks though, is up to you. I've borrowed a car from a relative in the past . There is nothing like getting around on your own, considering you know how to get around and how to manage the "rules of the road" there.

Sep 19, 2005
well I bet the taxi from the airport to the hotel will run 300 pesos....not that its that much more money....I took a local taxi from La Riena to STI and it is half the distance of the trip in question, and he charged me 300 pesos. he wasnt at the airport knowing he could gouge, he was out in the sticks, waiting for normal fares. That day my rental car had a flat and i didnt have a key for the locked spare tire!!!!!!!!!

if you drive the worst part will be in Santiago trying to get out of town, and then in puerto plata going through town....if you do rent the car , park it once in the town of your destination, and then just take motos or a local taxi anyplace....that would cut the chance your having an accident by 80% I bet,......
good luck

bob

GOLFGUY

Oct 25, 2004
Getting around Santiago is easier by taxi than driving (and probably cheaper, faster and definitely less stressful). Renting a car in Santiago is easy (some have offices in Gran Almirante), and I'm sure many here will give you recommendations on their preferences. Driving around the Cibao is great. The roads are fine (not great) and the people are happy to help w/ directions. Jarabacoa is a must. North Coast via Gurabo or Moca (I suggest head North via Gurabo and return via Sabaneta/Moca) is a great drive with beautiful scenery.

Vawner

Feb 7, 2007
Thanks

Thanks for the advice.
I think I'll use the taxi for getting into and around Santiago, and save the rental car for trips outside the city. :ermm:

gringo1

Feb 23, 2007
Taxis are great for getting around Santiago. Santiago is a fairly big city and the traffic rules for today haven?t been made up yet. If you haven?t driven here before it can be a bit much in a big city. There are many small Dominican car rental places that rent suvs and cars for quite a bit less than Avis, etc. And there is always the option just hiring a driver in Santiago with his own vehicle and having him drive you around the country. Everything?s negotiable here.

platana

Mar 15, 2006
The fee from the airport to ANYWHERE in Santiago is $500 pesos...Dont let them rip you off!