teachers gettting a living wage

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
But if you worked the aforementioned 5 hour day you would have over $30 USD after paying the cab. Or $150 a week, not too bad for this economy.
Der Fish

Better them than me. 150 a week. ouch. I guess they wont eat out everyday and get new shoes and go grocery shopping often or buy iphones and things. That would hurt. I guess there is not much after the bills are paid to throw money around in a club or at a colmado drinking. I guess the security of knowing that there is money saved up in case the job is lost is not a reality.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I have so much to say about this...
Teachers wages are horrid. It's true. But, most teachers are horrid. I have a teacher who spells words wrong on a regular basis. So I asked her if it embarrassed her at all that "la gringa" could correct her spelling. nope.
the university doesn't really train teachers to teach, so when they get in classrooms they just make stuff up.
do they deserve a humane salary? yes. do they deserve 100%? no.

someone mentioned training teachers or offering more "studies" for them. INAFOCAM has a ton of scholarships for teachers, but they're taught by the same wretched teachers teaching in public schools to begin with.

and don't kid yourselves - just because you pay a fancy private school doesn't mean your kids have better teachers.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
no in the fancy private schools they bribe the teachers.. They bribe professors at UASD. So I agree but we have to work with what we have. There has to be a raise in the professional STATUS of teachers so that the CHOPOS will at least treat them with respect.

If it becomes a decent career, it will attract folks who are willing to do the work.

The poorest school districts are always going to get the poorest teachers unless the teachers themselves have some link to that school or community.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I spent thirty years teaching Regents' level Biology in New York state. When I came here, I was shocked to see a science textbook that incorrectly identified the male and female reproductive organs of angiosperms. It was at Business Mail. I had gone in to pick up my mail and the clerk had a textbook open and was studying it. The photo captions were reversed and so the illustrations were completely wrong. I told him that the correct identification was the reverse, but I don't think he believed me.

If teachers can use books that are so blatantly wrong, and not even be aware of the errors, it speaks volumes about the lack of preparation for teaching.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
But if you worked the aforementioned 5 hour day you would have over $30 USD after paying the cab. Or $150 a week, not too bad for this economy.
Der Fish

I have not worked for those wages for a very very very long time

Now you may find some one who can live in Santo Domingo on $150 a week?!?!?

who is a NATIVE speaker?
with
a
university degree and graduate work in education?

ok. they get what they pay for but do not tall me that that is good for this economy.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have so much to say about this...
Teachers wages are horrid. It's true. But, most teachers are horrid. I have a teacher who spells words wrong on a regular basis. So I asked her if it embarrassed her at all that "la gringa" could correct her spelling. nope.
the university doesn't really train teachers to teach, so when they get in classrooms they just make stuff up.
do they deserve a humane salary? yes. do they deserve 100%? no.

someone mentioned training teachers or offering more "studies" for them. INAFOCAM has a ton of scholarships for teachers, but they're taught by the same wretched teachers teaching in public schools to begin with.

and don't kid yourselves - just because you pay a fancy private school doesn't mean your kids have better teachers.

Most teachers have the two year teaching degree, and have no idea how to teach, at least not from their classes. Those that have a full degree have taken Pedagogy and at least understand the learning process. There are some good teachers, even excellent teachers, but they aren't many of them.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Dont forget the extra income the teachers earn selling the answer keys to the students. :)

National tests fail 98.6% of all students

Santo Domingo.- 98.6 percent of the students in the elementary and high school levels who took the national tests during the 2011-2012 period failed all four subjects in the first round, by not reaching the required 65 points.
Of the 220,348 students evaluated, only 3,129 (1.4%) scored 65 or higher.
Grade school students had the most difficulties, as only 801 passed the four subjects, or 0.6 percent, while in the high school, it was between 3 and 3.3 percent, in the median overall technical- professional area.
The students? performance evaluation with the national testing was introduced by the Think and Grow Foundation, chaired by former Education minister Melanio Paredes.
The organization released its second report yesterday on Classification of Educational Institutions (CLACE 2011).
The ?school ranking? spanned 5,466 public and private schools, of which 3,587 are elementary, 1,677 medium level, and 202 professional- technical level.

<ins></ins>
Source: DT
Category: DR News |

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Nothing Will EVER Change!
If the population were educated, they would demand more from their government!
We can't have that now, can we???
An uneducated populace is easy to manipulate.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
In some cases, this is how riots and even a civil war starts. They only need one educated and ambitious man, who is fed up with everything and gather people to stand up against the corruption. Manipliations goes both way.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
National tests fail 98.6% of all students

Santo Domingo.- 98.6 percent of the students in the elementary and high school levels who took the national tests during the 2011-2012 period failed all four subjects in the first round, by not reaching the required 65 points.
Of the 220,348 students evaluated, only 3,129 (1.4%) scored 65 or higher.
Grade school students had the most difficulties, as only 801 passed the four subjects, or 0.6 percent, while in the high school, it was between 3 and 3.3 percent, in the median overall technical- professional area.
The students? performance evaluation with the national testing was introduced by the Think and Grow Foundation, chaired by former Education minister Melanio Paredes.
The organization released its second report yesterday on Classification of Educational Institutions (CLACE 2011).
The ?school ranking? spanned 5,466 public and private schools, of which 3,587 are elementary, 1,677 medium level, and 202 professional- technical level.

<ins></ins>
Source: DT
Category: DR News |

I know that the DR was published in some international report and it was so embarrassing that no one talked about it.

if we could get the government to order the one lap top per child

i am sure that juan luis would call a few of his friends to actually raise the money

it is amazing what kids can do with this project

Nicholas Negroponte on One Laptop per Child, two years on | Video on TED.com

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
if we could get the government to order the one lap top per child

i am sure that juan luis would call a few of his friends to actually raise the money

it is amazing what kids can do with this project

Nicholas Negroponte on One Laptop per Child, two years on | Video on TED.com

Teachers are developed with staff development and training. One would hope that raising the salary would attract better candidates while being able to require more of them.

Free technology with untrained teachers is typically a waste of resources.