Teleferico Construction Completed

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Who will use this cable car over tin roofed hovels?

It doesn't seem to be a commuter route. Is there something important near either end or connection to other mass transit?

And, based on the drone video, it definitely isn't a scenic tourist attraction.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It's not completed, it's a video of the complete route. It connects with the monorail. It's for commuters from the outskirts of the city.

Reactions: Juan Bosch

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's not completed, it's a video of the complete route. It connects with the monorail. It's for commuters from the outskirts of the city.
I'd like to see the usage numbers once everything is complete. Puerto Rico had Siemens build a high speed rail (Tren Urbano) and after it was finished it could not go high speed because of curves plus it went from almost nowhere to downtown San Juan - ridership to say the least was around 10%-15% of capacity and they cut the night hours due to the issue that no one wanted to go near the transit stations after dark

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I pass by the station being built at the corner of Circunvalacion y Guzman (at the foot of the bridge) at least 2 or 3 times a week, it's no where near completion.

Reactions: windeguy

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

It doesn't seem to be a commuter route. Is there something important near either end or connection to other mass transit?

The equivalent of the ones that use the Santo Domingo cable cars since they too go over "tin covered hovels" (despite the fact most homes with zinc roof aren't poor per say, in fact you go inside many homes with zinc roofs and others with cement and practically the only difference is that.) Except for the cable car in Puerto Plata which really goes nowhere as no one lives on top of that mountain, all the others are for the regular people as options to move from one place to another.

Reactions: Juan Bosch

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete

It is not designed to be a scenic tourist attraction, it is a much needed mode to commute. There are thousands of people living in those barrios, many of whom work or study in the city and are currently paying to travel via guagua's, carritos or motoconchos. The cost of the transport system is much cheaper and much faster. In Santo Domingo you can travel from one side of the city to the other via metro and the ticket also includes the cable car...all for 35 pesos! The cable cars in Santo Domingo are excellent and very popular with the residents, especially as it links to the metro from the same station. I have taken the trip a few times as we have family in Santo Domingo east and it was a nightmare driving there but now it is a breeze. The views of the barrios is not great, but the system was not put in place for tourists to view the city from above. I applaud the government with their modern transport system and it is just going to continue to get better!

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros

1. The Teleferico in Santiago covers almost 14-15 neighborhoods. To commute between La Yaguita to Downtown Santiago it may be 1 or 2 conchos (public taxis) you'll have to use and up to 100-150 pesos in cost. And let's not talk about timing which has increased heavily while Santiago is been growing. The Teleferico + Monorail will cost to those citizes 1/3 of the cost in less time.

1b. It will be connected to a Grand Central Station located at Las Carreras will link buses, monorail and conchos to the rest of the city

2. It's not intended to be a tourist destination.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I went on one almost identical to this in Medellin, Colombia. I think it must be from the same company. The one there is still standing and running well, so that's a good sign!

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros

TravelOverSky

Dec 30, 2023
Domican Republic
@bachata
Government video (with the main central station looks)

First user reactions so far (she's a polish travel blogger living in Terrenas):
Hello! Thank you for sharing!

Yesterday I shared a whole video on YouTube about the Teleferico, mainly conversations with Dominicans. I know that a lot of people have been waiting for this material, so maybe it will interest someone. I don't know if I can post a link, so I won't do it for now. You can find the video on YouTube on my channel. All suggestions welcome!

Reactions: JD Jones