Tell Ya This Much.....

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Correct me if I am wrong; but, I am of the opinion that Real Estate Transactions must be through a Lawyer!
I do not think that Real Estate Agents actually require a license.... not really recognized as a professional .
Probably not insured either.

Just opportunists and money grabbers for doing fu*k all.

I could be wrong!
A friend of mine from Canada recently sold an apartment complex near Sosua through a local Realtor She charged him 4% commission ... that is good if they work on the sale.
Russell

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Correct me if I am wrong; but, I am of the opinion that Real Estate Transactions must be through a Lawyer!
I do not think that Real Estate Agents actually require a license.... not really recognized as a professional .
Probably not insured either.

Just opportunists and money grabbers for doing fu*k all.

I could be wrong!
A friend of mine from Canada recently sold an apartment complex near Sosua through a local Realtor She charged him 4% commission ... that is good if they work on the sale.
Russell

My experience has been that many real estate agents here are lawyers.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My experience has been that many real estate agents here are lawyers.

If they were also used car salesmen it would be a trifecta made in hell.

House next door to me recently owned by former Air Force One pilot was sold to a Dominican born couple retiring here from Allentown, PA. He sold it for about what he paid for it, but not before putting quite a bit of money into it, so he sold at a loss in that regard.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It all depends on what you sell. I sold my house reasonably fast (three months time) at a for me reasonable price (but I also bought at a reasonable price. Neigbours said I sold too cheap but one of them was selling 30k above me and is still selling (one year later). 

On the other hand: Even though I left, I’m still doing my work as before in DR (now remotely), things are extremely slow. No sales, no dollars, no perspectives. I first thought it was because of me being away that I wasn’t selling but more and more clients are complaining they have never seen something like this.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
It all depends on what you sell. I sold my house reasonably fast (three months time) at a for me reasonable price (but I also bought at a reasonable price. Neigbours said I sold too cheap but one of them was selling 30k above me and is still selling (one year later). 

On the other hand: Even though I left, I’m still doing my work as before in DR (now remotely), things are extremely slow. No sales, no dollars, no perspectives. I first thought it was because of me being away that I wasn’t selling but more and more clients are complaining they have never seen something like this.

Yup this confirms what I am seeing as well-slowdown all over-probably won't find a buyer for my apartment, or at least if I do, one at a much lower price.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
After one month has passed just about advertising my apartment in SD on SuperCasas and not even one phone call or email. Only one potential buyer came bye with a real estate agent.

My impression now is that things are just not good here and there is little to no money.

Take out an ad in the real estate section and then post about your property here on the forums.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
After one month has passed just about advertising my apartment in SD on SuperCasas and not even one phone call or email. Only one potential buyer came bye with a real estate agent.

My impression now is that things are just not good here and there is little to no money.

There are number of major factors involved in trying to get eyes on your listing. The first is exposure to buyers. It's all well good that you list your property locally but is that where the buyer will come from? How about people outside the DR who will never find the SuperCasas website. If you are really serious about selling contact an agent in SD and list it with someone who knows the market and has a website that has worldwide exposure. YES, you will need to bite the bullet and pay a commission. You need to hire someone that has more expertise than yourself. Second, is your property priced comparatively to other properties in the area with similar characteristics? If you do not have your property priced to sell than you are probably wasting your time. The price you list at is not what you think the property is worth. It is what other properties in your area have SOLD for, not listed for. Obviously, you can list a property at any amount but the marketplace will dictate the actual price the property sells for. Last, does the property show well? Does it have any curb appeal in your neighborhood. Is your apartment uncluttered and up to date. You need to be patient if you are trying to sell the place yourself. I would suggest that if you get little interest after 45 days you need to reduce the price. I sold my condo in LT, went through a realtor and it still took almost two years on the market to achieve this. Good luck with your sale.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Jimmy, I used a real estate guy here by the name of Miguel Grau, who is located in Costa verde , C. A n. 33, Santo Domingo, tel: 809 328 3462 y Cel: 849 912 1007 email: cig.bienesraíces@gmail.com

I'm bullish on the guy. He was by far the most active real estate person I've dealt with.

He's the guy who sold my last property, and will get first shot to sell my next property. The guy is a bull dog and a very aggressive sales guy with a lot of contacts.

Dealing with some of these real estate people here can be extremely frustrating. They want to make money without lifting a finger, and most have other jobs that consume their attention.

Give him a call and let him work on selling yours. Tell him James Duckett sent you. (no, not for commissions )

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is a buyers market in the DR for sure. If you even think you are interested in selling in the next few years, get it listed now. You will probably only get a one or to two chances to accept an offer and you need to be prepared to accept it when it arrives even if the timing is inconvenient.

It takes a long time to sell here in part because there is so much choice on the market and in part because the buyer pool is so limited. Dream for a big payday if you like but be prepared to just not loose your shirt as that is sometimes the best one can do.

To the OP, the idea of creating a listing on DIY real estate sites abroad is a good one. Foreigners tend to conduct web searches in English so you need to make use of both English and Spanish, on sites that turn up in google searches depending on what language is used.

If a sign can be seen from the street, get one in your window.

Good luck.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If they were also used car salesmen it would be a trifecta made in hell.

House next door to me recently owned by former Air Force One pilot was sold to a Dominican born couple retiring here from Allentown, PA. He sold it for about what he paid for it, but not before putting quite a bit of money into it, so he sold at a loss in that regard.

Used Car salesman who rolls back the speedometer, Real Estate salesman who charges 10% - and on weekends drives a rusty pickup selling plantains waking everyone with loud speakers on the roof and also imports doobies to sell to the salons.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Jimmy, I used a real estate guy here by the name of Miguel Grau, who is located in Costa verde , C. A n. 33, Santo Domingo, tel: 809 328 3462 y Cel: 849 912 1007 email: cig.bienesraíces@gmail.com

I'm bullish on the guy. He was by far the most active real estate person I've dealt with.

He's the guy who sold my last property, and will get first shot to sell my next property. The guy is a bull dog and a very aggressive sales guy with a lot of contacts.

Dealing with some of these real estate people here can be extremely frustrating. They want to make money without lifting a finger, and most have other jobs that consume their attention.

Give him a call and let him work on selling yours. Tell him James Duckett sent you. (no, not for commissions )

Thanks so much JD-Will definitely check this out and mention your name.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
There are number of major factors involved in trying to get eyes on your listing. The first is exposure to buyers. It's all well good that you list your property locally but is that where the buyer will come from? How about people outside the DR who will never find the SuperCasas website. If you are really serious about selling contact an agent in SD and list it with someone who knows the market and has a website that has worldwide exposure. YES, you will need to bite the bullet and pay a commission. You need to hire someone that has more expertise than yourself. Second, is your property priced comparatively to other properties in the area with similar characteristics? If you do not have your property priced to sell than you are probably wasting your time. The price you list at is not what you think the property is worth. It is what other properties in your area have SOLD for, not listed for. Obviously, you can list a property at any amount but the marketplace will dictate the actual price the property sells for. Last, does the property show well? Does it have any curb appeal in your neighborhood. Is your apartment uncluttered and up to date. You need to be patient if you are trying to sell the place yourself. I would suggest that if you get little interest after 45 days you need to reduce the price. I sold my condo in LT, went through a realtor and it still took almost two years on the market to achieve this. Good luck with your sale.

Well I already have it listed with about a half dozen agents, but as usual they are all very inactive.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

How many times did you drop the price LT and by how much each time.?

THat will help the poster immensely to know how often and much to drop the $$$

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Well I already have it listed with about a half dozen agents, but as usual they are all very inactive.

OK, I guess I have to be a mind reader. In your original post you mentioned nothing about a realtor. You talked about advertising your apt on a local SD web-site? Now you are saying you have listed it with a number of Real Estate Agents? Again without knowing the location, selling price and other factors it is nearly impossible to give you any concrete advice about your specific listing. It comes down to whether or not your current circumstances allow you to be patient enough to wait for the right buyer to come along. Obviously, if you need to sell the place quickly than that will be the driving factor.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
How many times did you drop the price LT and by how much each time.?

THat will help the poster immensely to know how often and much to drop the $$$

You got me there. My wife and I had already moved out of the DR and wanted to get rid of the property. Due to personal circumstances we weren't planning on returning. Yes, I took a big hit and lost a considerable amount of $$$$$$$$ . I was not happy about that but the yearly appreciation that I had anticipated when we bought the property never materialized so I cut bait and bailed. Looking back it was a great location at Don Ceasar, in LT. Had open air patio on the top floor with ocean and mountain views. Unfortunately we bought the condo a year or two after the market had tanked in the US and it ended up having a ripple effect on real estate in the DR. Additionally there was a building boom at the time in LT and it was a buyers market. Live and learn the hard way. That all being said selling a property in the DR is tricky at times and it may depend on your patience and tolerance to make less of a profit or take a loss if holding onto the property is problematic.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh, it's hard to sell.... I know

and I remember the boom in LT...
we drove through on a 'house hunt' in the rain...roads were all dug up

My wife said - This place is awful

I turned on the wipers -
saw new curbs & gutters, sewer system, a new branch of every bank in the country
New Gas station...

and thought...
The Genie is ready to come out of the bottle here...

Guzman had a brand new office there...

THe build was starting.......2008

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Oh, it's hard to sell.... I know

and I remember the boom in LT...
we drove through on a 'house hunt' in the rain...roads were all dug up

My wife said - This place is awful

I turned on the wipers -
saw new curbs & gutters, sewer system, a new branch of every bank in the country
New Gas station...

and thought...
The Genie is ready to come out of the bottle here...

Guzman had a brand new office there...

THe build was starting.......2008

I will have to go back, it's been several years, but I never saw what attracted people to that corner of the island

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
So, what did Miguel have to say? Where is your property located?

Well not too much really. First off, he responded with the suggestion to go the Air BnB route, which my initial thought was it is really this bad here to sale a property right now? The property is located in Viejo Arroyo Hondo.