Tenant rights:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
no nig's living without water....mexican's yes me never have done it...

Did you really say that. I think you and a moderator need to have a serious discussion about future posts.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Some of these responses remind me of why some people are destined to be azz-****ed prisoners until they die. The scary part is that they see no alternative.

And there's no laws or legislation that can change it.

"No water for you!"

NO-SOUP-FOR-YOU-890x395_c.png

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Did you really say that. I think you and a moderator need to have a serious discussion about future posts.

I have no idea of what chic just wrote, as is very often the case. I can solve level 12 sudoku and the Times cryptic crosswords in minutes but he has had me stumped for 4 months.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I may be lucky but my landlord is very cool. First I often wire the rent as I travel a bunch. Trying to work out exchange rate is a pain. I usually send a few bucks over the rent to ake sure I don't short him. Each time he puts the 200-1200 extra pesos in envelope with rent receipt and drops it off.
We had showers with shower curtains and apparently my wife didn't love them. He had tow new shower stalls with glass doors put in.
On one trip to jamaica our only net access was wide open wifi and I didn't want to do a wire with that level of security. We called him up to say the rent would be a week late. No problem was his answer.

One night he came over with his sister. Apparently his uncle was doing a big real estate deal and wanted him to invest in it. He didn't have the required funds liquid, so the uncle said sell your apartment.
We told him, we have no problem and could even just move up stairs to another apt in same bldg. He offered for us to buy it and said if we didn't want to buy it he would pass on his uncle's deal.
I told him, we may need to move in 6-12 months any way as we were thinking of moving to US, so I told him don't pass up a good deal on our account. He said he wasn't 100% sold on the deal and would not sell.

I honestly can't say a bad word about the guy. We even invited them to our wedding!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Ever think he was trying to make the sale to you, 'uncle'? Pass on a sale? Sounds like a great Dominican to me:classic:

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
rather than escalate this to the courts (which you will lose obviously since your not Dominican) why not just hire a local plumber to look at the problem and get it fixed?
I've rented three different apartments in SD and lived in a shared house. Water problems were issues in each one but usually figured out and fixed in a short period and at minimum expense.
a bad one way value in one allowed all the water to escape; another had a pipe flex that caused and air lock (actually two places had that same issue).

Is there no water from the street? Was the water turned off all together? The water company in SD will plug the pipe to shut it off if the bill is not paid within 30 days (whether you get it or not)
Do you need a pump to increase the pressure to fill a tinaco? that was the reason for my last apartment problem.

Jul 28, 2014
Because he already wrote he is NOT allowed to make major repairs such fixing water/water heating/water pressure in thread #5 if you actually read this...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Because he already wrote he is NOT allowed to make major repairs such fixing water/water heating/water pressure in thread #5 if you actually read this...

Just because that's in the contract doesn't mean you should ignore that option. Just make sure you discuss it first. It might very well be that the landlord actually is just lazy and if you take initiative will be happy and say go ahead, just let me know what they will do and how much they will charge, or he will say, no way, you can't and send someone over.

Most contracts also say that every year they can raise the rent with 10%. I have always signed for that, but never accepted the raise. This is DR, everything is negotiable.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Maybe you need to get married. A smart tough ass Dominican wife would settle something like this in five minutes.