Test your Spanish

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I think you are right about Dominican educators, writers, journalists etc. I feel like when I read something from a Dominican source I do not know what I am going to get. The command of the language is not there.

Accents are part of the Spanish language. Writing words without them is incorrect spelling. The different forms of communication on the Internet are considered informal and writing without accents on words is acceptable but in formal writing such as journalism accents are required. A newspaper article that has words without the accents where they belong is considered poorly written in my book.

I write with the accents in my emails, texts, message board communication, Instagram etc. because it’s part of the language and I understand what words and verbs require an accent in Spanish. I am not guessing. Many people who write in the language I assure you do not know what words require an accent and/or rely on spell check. Anyone can miss one sometimes or the spellchecker adds them incorrectly and you don’t catch it when proofreading. That happens but an article or literature without the accents in Spanish is not correct. In university, I know some professors give you back your essay to correct it within 24 hours meaning to add the accents or else the assignment is marked as incomplete.

To add to your examples these words have a different meaning with or without the accent (called la tilde ).

Mama/ mamá- that’s a difference.

Se/ sé - quite a difference in meaning

Te/ té - two completely different words.
Same here: When I send texts, emails, and post on IG and leave comments on YouTube, I HAVE TO use formal grammar and punctuation, even at the risk of coming across as overly formal on a simple chat. I believe once you get used to bad spelling on simple chats, there's a possibility you may commit the same errors on formal correspondence.
I make my share of spelling errors, but they are mainly due to my bad habit of not checking and re-reading what I just wrote, as evidenced by the misspelling of pluscuamperfecto on a previous post. I even place a question mark and comma on a simple ¿KLK, mi hermano? message, even if KLK itself is informal.

I receive many messages daily, and the ones in Spanish are the worst:

"Mucha gracias igual llo lo estimo mucho", "Buena tardes hermano como estan por alla", "Okey hermano uste es delo mio personal", "...que él señor melos bendiga mucho mucha gracias"...

No accents, no commas or periods or question marks, accents in wrong words (él señor), misspelling of words, missing 'Ss', en fin, un sinnúmero de errores.

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Same here: When I send texts, emails, and post on IG and leave comments on YouTube, I HAVE TO use formal grammar and punctuation, even at the risk of coming across as overly formal on a simple chat. I believe once you get used to bad spelling on simple chats, there's a possibility you may commit the same errors on formal correspondence.
I make my share of spelling errors, but they are mainly due to my bad habit of not checking and re-reading what I just wrote, as evidenced by the misspelling of pluscuamperfecto on a previous post. I even place a question mark and comma on a simple ¿KLK, mi hermano? message, even if KLK itself is informal.

I receive many messages daily, and the ones in Spanish are the worst:

"Mucha gracias igual llo lo estimo mucho", "Buena tardes hermano como estan por alla", "Okey hermano uste es delo mio personal", "...que él señor melos bendiga mucho mucha gracias"...

No accents, no commas or periods or question marks, accents in wrong words (él señor), misspelling of words, missing 'Ss', en fin, un sinnúmero de errores.

I have the same policy for myself too and for the same reason. If you practice to write in short form it becomes habit to the point where it can interfere with your formal writing. It’s important to know how to write properly. Call me old school I guess and I am okay with that.

Your example of text messages that you get is very familiar. Let’s be honest in some cases the people sound illiterate completely. There is short form which is acceptable but let’s not confuse that with the inability to write which is largely what we see on the Internet, in text messages, social media etc.

When people write:

En berda, en berda

Vendiciones

abía

apollo …..this gets every time

there is a problem.

It’s also Caribbean Spanish though because you don’t hear other Spanish speakers saying buena tarde, mucha gracia, ’ta bien, como tú quiera etc….I speak that way too but I also know when to neutralize.

grasias…..are you kidding me???? It’s not a typo for those who spell it that way

Those are examples of illiteracy which is different from being informal and slang which are both acceptable but when one can’t spell that’s another issue.

Reactions: Lucifer

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are quite a few posters here that, when referring to their spouse, write "miesposa" or miesposo". At first, I thought it was just a typo and they forgot the space, but I've seen it written that way too many times now. I don't think I've ever seen it written as two words(?),.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Gracias.

I realized the word was La Ciénaga but I had to Google what it referred to.

Since we are talking about accents, in Cabarete on signs is there an accent mark on the é at least the government signs?
I have lived in Cabarete for thirteen years and have never seen an accent on the last E anywhere. I never knew it was supposed to have one. I don't know why it would be there anyway, since it is always pronounced with the emphasis on the penultimate E.

Reactions: cavok

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Can I just say that it is a pet peeve of mine when people write in slang. Sometimes when reading something that is written by those who are supposedly educated makes me shake my head.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Can I just say that it is a pet peeve of mine when people write in slang. Sometimes when reading something that is written by those who are supposedly educated makes me shake my head.

Why fight it ? Embrace it !

I was helping an elder fill in a form a few days ago, the guy is anywhere between 50 and 60.
It started off bad as I pointed out, I was pretty sure that's not how his name is spelt.
" Ay dios, ven a ka muchacho, sabo meyor k ti, etc, etc....... "
I told him the easiest way is to pull out his cedula and check......
Of course it was the Junta who got it wrong on his cedula, everybody knows Ernandez has no H.😆😆😆😆😆😆.

The DR is one of the last country on earth where you can go through your whole life w/o knowing how to spell your name correctly.
That has to count for something.😂😂😂

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
There are quite a few posters here that, when referring to their spouse, write "miesposa" or miesposo". At first, I thought it was just a typo and they forgot the space, but I've seen it written that way too many times now. I don't think I've ever seen it written as two words(?),.

One former poster started that and explained why when people asked. I am not sure why others do it now but it’s two words mi esposo, mi esposa

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I'm also sure the spelling should be ciénega instead of ciénaga.

It's an esdrújula word, and as such, it requires a tilde: cédula, cámara, estómago, murciélago...

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I have lived in Cabarete for thirteen years and have never seen an accent on the last E anywhere. I never knew it was supposed to have one. I don't know why it would be there anyway, since it is always pronounced with the emphasis on the penultimate E.

It definitely has an accent on the e.If you look at the rules of grammar words ending in a vowel normally have the stress on the second to last syllable (penúltima) but when there is an exception to the rule a written accent is required. People say it correctly but without the written accent it’s not written correctly.

It’s Ciénaga….

Feel free to look up the grammar rule. As well many links on the web have the accent as it should.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I'm also sure the spelling should be ciénega instead of ciénaga.

It's an esdrújula word, and as such, it requires a tilde: cédula, cámara, estómago, murciélago...

I see that now regarding the spelling. Both forms are on the web. Good catch.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I see that now regarding the spelling. Both forms are on the web. Good catch.
I could've sworn it was only one form.

La RAE says ciénAga, and elcastellano.org says both are correct. I was both wrong and right.

Who woulda thunk it?!

Love learning this stuff.

Thanks.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
One former poster started that and explained why when people asked. I am not sure why others do it now but it’s two words mi esposo, mi esposa
I thought maybe it was written that way because you hear them spoken as if they were one word. I believe the "i" and the 'e" for a diphthong and I've heard several combinations of words like those that, when spoken, sound like just one word - at least to my ears.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I thought maybe it was written that way because you hear them spoken as if they were one word. I believe the "i" and the 'e" for a diphthong and I've heard several combinations of words like those that, when spoken, sound like just one word - at least to my ears.

I agree it can sound like that based on the way some people say it. In grammar/ linguistics that phonetic pattern is referred to as liaison. It happens in a couple of the Latin-based languages. Spanish is one of them.

See the definition here. Point #4:

As well, if you get familiar with the rules of forming compound words in Spanish you won’t have a pronoun (mi) and a noun (esposo) joined to form one word.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
And a classic example that I always point out: from my 'neck of the woods,' there's a fishing village named Boca de Yuma.
However, everyone in Higüey pronounces it "Boqueyuma" (Boca de Yuca turns into Boca 'e Yuma, then into Boqueyuma).

This is not an example of liaison, but more of laziness and ease of pronunciation.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
And a classic example that I always point out: from my 'neck of the woods,' there's a fishing village named Boca de Yuma.
However, everyone in Higüey pronounces it "Boqueyuma" (Boca de Yuca turns into Boca 'e Yuma, then into Boqueyuma).

This is not an example of liaison, but more of laziness and ease of pronunciation.

That’s right it’s not an example of liaison, but speakers shorten words for ease of pronunciation.

An example of liaison is:

Mis amigos when said it becomes misamigos. The s becomes part of the next syllable mi….sa….migos

This happens because a word ending in s is followed by a word starting with a vowel.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It definitely has an accent on the e.If you look at the rules of grammar words ending in a vowel normally have the stress on the second to last syllable (penúltima) but when there is an exception to the rule a written accent is required. People say it correctly but without the written accent it’s not written correctly.

It’s Ciénaga….

Feel free to look up the grammar rule. As well many links on the web have the accent as it should.

I am aware of the rule that the stress is usually on the second to last (penultimate) syllable and if not there is an accent on the syllable that is stressed. But in the case of Cabarete, I have never heard anyone stress the last syllable or use an accent, so in my opinion it is not an exception to the rule.