Thai food in Santo Domingo

elmalecon809

Oct 8, 2014
Anyone know a good restaurant in Santo Domingo (preferably in the Naco/Piantini area) where I can get some good Pad Thai?

MarJD

Aug 29, 2012
Anyone know a good restaurant in Santo Domingo (preferably in the Naco/Piantini area) where I can get some good Pad Thai?
As far as I know, there are no Thai restaurants in SD. I love Thai food and asked my friends who live in SD that very same question, nothing.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Lacking a restaurant, there are great Pad Thai recipes on line. In the Santo Domingo Chinatown(Colonia China) area you will find all of the ingredients. It is a relatively easy dish to prepare. Buen Provecho!!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
The pad thai from pf changs was nothing like a real pad thai unfortunately.. there was literally ONE decent thai place on the entire island called Thai Chili in Sosua, it was like a german guy married to a thai chef that opened up a spot in la mulata, haven't been in years but besides making my own pad thai never had anything even remotely close to real pad thai here. It's sad because all of the ingredients are available such as tamarind, cilantro etc to making a great pad thai. It's a super annoying dish to make though because everything has to be done really quick in a specific order or it just doesn't work.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes the DR is surely lacking many cuisines from other parts of the world.
Very few good Mexican places, nor Greek, nor French. Quite a few German style restaurants however and a few American/Argentinian style bar-b-que places opening up too..

Let's just hope the common denominator in cuisine here does not become the greasy Chinese Pica Pollos popping up on ever corner forcing good places out.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Is there nothing offered in the Chinese section of SD ???

LT offers a variety of cuisines......

But no Thai to my knowledge and very limited outside Italian, French, traditional Dominican comedores and Pica Pollo.
Getting better, but it gets old fast.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Nothing out of the way of the Dominicanized Chinese, Italian or Levantine cuisines (for want of a better word) has lasted long in the greater Santo Domingo area. Many "specialty" places have tried including Indian, Greek, Thai, Indonesian and even the better end of Lebanese, none have been able to stay, except for the exceptional Felafel Zona Colonial.............