Thank you!

jayemorena

Apr 9, 2004
imjustjenny.blogspot.com
I am so inspired by all of your posts! I was reading some of the other stuff (admittedly before I signed up) on this board, and I felt a bit disheartened. I am in a new relationship with a Dominican man, and he is wonderful. It is so amazing that I was able to find someone like him. I didn't even consider myself as looking. He always asks me, "What happened to me? I am so in love with you!"

I am happy. A lot of people here ask me how I can deal with the long-distance aspect (since I live in New York City). But I don't feel an ounce of doubt, because I love him, and I know he loves me. I think somehow it unnerves people to see someone so sure and calm about how they feel.

I first visited in August 2003 on vacation, and that is when I met him. I was visiting with friends, but after we met, we spent every moment together.

I went back in December for Christmas and I met his family. His mother and father were wonderful to me, and took me in like I was their own!

I will be going back in July to stay for a month, and I can't wait.

Thank you for filling me with even more warm feelings about the love I found in DR!!!

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Good luck

Good luck! I certainly hope everything goes as well for you as you hope it does!

Even though there are many bad stories about relationships with Dominican men, there are definitely good ones as well and I hope that yours is one of those. Just be careful and keep your eyes open -- perhaps you should contact FiestaMama for some advice. I think advice from her and other women in relationships with Dominican men would would be very helpful in your situation. Take care.

lilcanadiangal :classic:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Ohhhh Anna !

Just when I was going to pm you and say how quiet this forum has been and maybe the message got across to some !!!!!

Anyway, jayemorena - I wish you all the best and since you have read all the other posts, you certainly don't need any reassurance from us.

Fiesta Mama, do you care to join in?

Marlie

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Most would think I am bitter...

but I am a romantic at heart!!! Even though my experience turned out bad... I still disagree that ALL Dominican men (or women) are sankies. I especially disagree that all resort workers are out to take tourists for all they are worth! I know some people that are in relationships with Dominicans (some being resort workers) and they are not going down the same path I did. Although some people make say I am insane, I plan to move to the DR in a year or two for a few years (or maybe permanently) and would do it all again.. (that is get involved with another Dominican man should I not become involved in the meantime). You have to treat every person and every relationship individually. HOWEVER, that being said, there are warning signs to watch out for. NO ONE, and I repeat NO ONE, should marry a guy or proclaim their everlasting love to someone without spending a significant amount of time with that person. No matter how much people try to work around it, cultural, language, religous, etc. differences have to be dealt with. I urge anyone considering a relationship with someone in the Dominican Republic (be it a Domincan or Dominicana), SPEND TIME WITH THAT PERSON. No I am not talking a week every three months. True colours only surface over time. I would never again commit to someone without living with them for an extended period (at least 6 months to 1 year) and taking things from there. If anyone wants specifics on my situation... feel free to PM me - I would love to offer my 2 cents. I think when I finally move there I should become a PI... it may be a viable business venture and definitely satisfying!

Last edited:

DRgirlatheart

Sep 20, 2003
Another romantic

I just wanted to say I pretty much echo Fiesta Mama's sentiments, and wish you nothing but good in your relationship. I guess the best advice I could give someone is true for a lot of things in life : Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Enjoy the good feelings being in love brings you!

Regards.