Thanksgiving in DR

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Yes. Also had one on Gustavo Mejia Ricart close to the Silver Sun Gallery. He tried to make a nightclub out of it.

I ate there almost every Sunday although it was insanely expensive.

I had quite a few conversations with managers there over the offerings, mainly because they wouldn't serve biscuits and gravy, even though they made both but it wasn't on the menu.

I used to take instant grits and order tea for the hot water to make the grits.

Imagine a Denny's with no grits or Biscuits and gravy. Stupid.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There was one at Coco Bongo near the airport. This was about 8 years or more ago. Was the worst ever. Price was 2-3 times Denny prices. Bad food at ridiculous prices. Never anyone there. Closed very quickly..............

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
If someone here were to open a breakfast/lunch place that mimicked Denny's with more realistic prices I think it would work.

I don't know how many times I sat in Denny's and thought "How tough could it be?"

When they first opened nobody complained about the food, it was always about the prices.

Same for IHOP - Folks loved the food, but couldn't believe the prices.

Make your money on Volume.

Reactions: SKY

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If someone here were to open a breakfast/lunch place that mimicked Denny's with more realistic prices I think it would work.

I don't know how many times I sat in Denny's and thought "How tough could it be?"

When they first opened nobody complained about the food, it was always about the prices.

Same for IHOP - Folks loved the food, but couldn't believe the prices.

Make your money on Volume.
Dominican owners don't think like that. How many times do you see a place doing bad so they RAISE the prices figuring that will compensate. End result Adios business. Happens all the time.........

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Every big supermarket here on the North Coast has turkey and turkey breast. Even Butterball is available. I'm preparing dinner for 60+.
Turkey w/gravy
Cranberry sauce
Mashed potato
Grandma's sausage stuffing
Buttered carrots
Steakhouse creamed spinach
Mom's brownie for dessert
Yummmm

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Every big supermarket here on the North Coast has turkey and turkey breast. Even Butterball is available. I'm preparing dinner for 60+.
Turkey w/gravy
Cranberry sauce
Mashed potato
Buttered carrots
Yummmm

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
There was one at Coco Bongo near the airport.…. Bad food at ridiculous prices. Never anyone there. Closed very quickly..............

Yes…got food poisoning from there ..nearly died in hospital. Long story . 😩

Thanksgiving this year will be with the Brazilian in-laws🇧🇷🇧🇷😩😩… staying with us🇩🇴 for the World Cup⚽️⚽️⚽️ …food will be more or less same as the US …’peru’ but with purê de mandioca🤤🤤🤤……so full house… screaming kids ….screaming adults….but grateful for every second of it all . Happy Thanksgiving !!!

• Love
Reactions: bob saunders

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
7FC2FDCF-2C0B-4DC4-BD2D-83E9FF5168C9.jpeg

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

I just came back from Jumbo thinking it would be less crowded today. (Yes, I'm that dumb)

There was not a single parking slot available, and most of the free space around the parking slots were occupied by people sitting in cars waiting. (The parking lot holds 600+ cars), so I'd guess 700+ cars there.

Now imagine Jumbo with that many people in it.

I got a 1/2 of a small turkey for myself (400 pesos per lb.) and some delicious looking "pierna" with some chicharron on the side.

I didn't even try to enter the La Sirena parking lot but it appeared to be maxed out as well.

• Wow
Reactions: AlterEgo

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I just came back from Jumbo thinking it would be less crowded today. (Yes, I'm that dumb)

There was not a single parking slot available, and most of the free space around the parking slots were occupied by people sitting in cars waiting. (The parking lot holds 600+ cars), so I'd guess 700+ cars there.

Now imagine Jumbo with that many people in it.

I got a 1/2 of a small turkey for myself (400 pesos per lb.) and some delicious looking "pierna" with some chicharron on the side.

I didn't even try to enter the La Sirena parking lot but it appeared to be maxed out as well.
400 pesos?!?!?! Just bought one at Nacional for about 200 pesos. No turkeys at Almacenes UNIDOs.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Turkey w/gravy
Cranberry sauce
Mashed potato
Buttered carrots
60+ Wow.
Enjoy. Hope yall have a good one!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Every year I get a coupon for free turkey from the company I work for, this year I was able to buy two so I shared the Blessing I donated one to a poor family.

Is in the oven cooking right now.

JJ

Attachments

• IMG_20221123_201055834.jpg
    IMG_20221123_201055834.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
400 pesos?!?!?! Just bought one at Nacional for about 200 pesos. No turkeys at Almacenes UNIDOs.
Oops! Sorry, that was cooked and ready to eat. The frozen ones were an off brand name for around 200 per lb. as you indicated.