Thanksgiving is coming up

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
this is our first year here. Do kids go to school on thanksgiving? It never occured to me that they would celebrate an American holiday down here. We were going to go to Rocky's because of all of the good things I've heard about it but we are having a Thanksgiving dinner at home with another missionary family that's only been here a short time also. How do the Dominicans call 'Thanksgiving'?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Some American/International schools close for Thanksgiving, but generally Dominicans don't celebrate it. We were invited by American friends for the dinner - it will be my first ever experience of Thanksgiving.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I will be going up to LT to visit my best American friend who is married to a Dominican American and holds the feast day

Before I moved to the Capital, we made do with the local turkeys... BE ADVISED ... they are tough and dark with not much meat and a FAR cry from Butterball.. So for the last few years, I have brought the frozen bird up from SD..

Flew once, with it gently dethawing in my carry on...
Took Caribe tours, and by that time, it was dripping

It has caught on so that now I bring the SECOND turkey (LT now evidently stocks them) so that we can put half of one aside for the next day left overs

And, of course, we had to hear the rebel.s side of the story from her husband... who had to take the Indian's position. but we now let him do his rant the night before or he does not get any left overs

No, Belgianak, you do not get to just add any old food to the table on Thanksgiving since it is a rememberance dinner of the Pilgrims in New England who had gotten through their first year ONLY WITH the help of the Native Americans (bet they wish their ancestors had NOT helped)

So it is based on the local foods of New England

Turkey
Mashed Potates
Candied Yams with Maple Syrup
Carrots
Green Beans
Onions .. usually creamed
cranberry jelly

And \

PUMPKIN PIE

It is the ONLY national holiday in the US which is celebrated by EVERYONE... all religions, all ethnic backgrounds.. and, I think,the ONLY four day weekend since always falls on the final Thursday of November.

(We only get a day for Christmas and New Years. Yup,we work too hard)

Reactions: cobraboy

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
and the STUFFING

I forgot the stuffing!

made with either cornbread, or just plain bread and herbs

or Sausage..

Chiri, enjoy.. but you will miss the main part

which is the turkey!!!

which is loaded with triptophan

and on which we all gorge

and then fall semi comatose onto the couch

to watch Navy defeat Army in the traditional football game

I was once invited when I was in high school .. which was about the hottest preppy date a high school or college girl could get..

but was felled by an appendicitis

but I knew how important the event was and managed to call my best friend and have her come over to go with my date (What WAS his name?).. That is how important that game was...

The tryptophan will help you sleep. It has been banned in the US (Natch) because it is such a powerful sleep aid.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
mountainannie said:

which is the turkey!!!
You know, I'm tempted to try it, for the stuffing more than anything. Vegetarianism is not a religion so I don't expect to be struck by lightning. :D I had a fabulous slice of homemade quiche lorraine the other evening, and we all know what that contains. ;)

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
what MA says is true

after a good Thanksgiving dinner...all you want to do is lay back and rest...
your belly is sooo content from all the tasty foods
the gravy and stuffing are essential to the meal
and the pumpkin pie....to die for :)

gaurantee you'll look forward to the next years dinner :)

Reactions: rice&beans

jerseygirl22

Jan 6, 2009
Check out my very Dominicanized Thanksgiving dinner last year. Now picture that food with people salsa dancing in the background.
xrlvt.jpg

Reactions: rice&beans

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My first Thanksgiving in the DR was in Samana. My wife and I were on our sailboat and there were a number of other cruising boats around us. We American cruisers decided to get together for Thanksgiving. One boat contributed a turkey it had brought from the US, other boats had cans of cranberries, and Camilo, owner of Camilo's Restaurant, said he would buy two more turkeys and do the cooking.

Thanksgiving morning a couple of the cruisers went to the restaurant to instruct the staff on how to prepare the dinner. They reported that when they showed the cook how to prepare the dressing the restaurant staff was astounded that anybody would want to put bread in a turkey.

That evening when we were gathered, the waiters brought platters of turkey to the table. The turkey was not sliced, but on bone. It looked like the carcass had been chopped into pieces with a machete or ax and the local turkey was no doubt range fed, clearly not up to Butterball standards.

But it was a great Thanksgiving dinner, lots of laughs on the preparation of the turkey and good fellowship. It stands out in my mind as I think about Thanksgivings past.

Reactions: mountainannie
May 5, 2007
Nice post Annie, BUT The annual army Navy game is played on second Saturday in December, not Thanksgiving :-(

and the STUFFING

I forgot the stuffing!

made with either cornbread, or just plain bread and herbs

or Sausage..

which is the turkey!!!

which is loaded with triptophan

and on which we all gorge

and then fall semi comatose onto the couch

to watch Navy defeat Army in the traditional football game

I was once invited when I was in high school .. which was about the hottest preppy date a high school or college girl could get..

but was felled by an appendicitis

but I knew how important the event was and managed to call my best friend and have her come over to go with my date (What WAS his name?).. That is how important that game was...

The tryptophan will help you sleep. It has been banned in the US (Natch) because it is such a powerful sleep aid.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Nice post Annie, BUT The annual army Navy game is played on second Saturday in December, not Thanksgiving :-(

was it always thus?

memory loss is the first sign of the dimming of the day

sad

i still feel like 30

and i remember that day as if it were yesterday

perhaps i should stop using that used alumimum fry pan i brought back from buying at the Haitian market in Dajabon

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I will be going up to LT to visit my best American friend who is married to a Dominican American and holds the feast day

Before I moved to the Capital, we made do with the local turkeys... BE ADVISED ... they are tough and dark with not much meat and a FAR cry from Butterball.. So for the last few years, I have brought the frozen bird up from SD..

Flew once, with it gently dethawing in my carry on...
Took Caribe tours, and by that time, it was dripping

It has caught on so that now I bring the SECOND turkey (LT now evidently stocks them) so that we can put half of one aside for the next day left overs

And, of course, we had to hear the rebel.s side of the story from her husband... who had to take the Indian's position. but we now let him do his rant the night before or he does not get any left overs

No, Belgianak, you do not get to just add any old food to the table on Thanksgiving since it is a rememberance dinner of the Pilgrims in New England who had gotten through their first year ONLY WITH the help of the Native Americans (bet they wish their ancestors had NOT helped)

So it is based on the local foods of New England

Turkey
Mashed Potates
Candied Yams with Maple Syrup
Carrots
Green Beans
Onions .. usually creamed
cranberry jelly

And \

PUMPKIN PIE

It is the ONLY national holiday in the US which is celebrated by EVERYONE... all religions, all ethnic backgrounds.. and, I think,the ONLY four day weekend since always falls on the final Thursday of November.

(We only get a day for Christmas and New Years. Yup,we work too hard)
Nice post,MA!

Thanksgiving was never about food. Thanksgiving, as you said uniquely American, is about giving thanks for the bounty in our lives and to share it with family and community.

The food was the feast of the celebration. And your menu is spot on, although Grandma CB added Windsor salad to the list...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Nice post,MA!

Thanksgiving was never about food. Thanksgiving, as you said uniquely American, is about giving thanks for the bounty in our lives and to share it with family and community.

The food was the feast of the celebration. And your menu is spot on, although Grandma CB added Windsor salad to the list...

that sounds suspiciously Tory that salad...

but if it is apples and walnuts
i would allow it

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Nice post,MA!

and that is very very true

it is my very most favorite holiday

the one where we all gathered around my great aunt's table

where we did not have the consumerism

and now..

my memory comes back to me

i was always there

in Bernardsville New Jersey

and in the mornings

my brother and I would have to ride in the Thanksgiving Hunt

(the unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible)

so my other warm fuzzy memory was of Christmas

with my Dad... at home in NYC

THANK GOD I can keep the frying pan!

because it was already well used by Haitians

and cooks very beautifully

(Could not give you more points, CB, since I had to spread them around)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
that sounds suspiciously Tory that salad...

but if it is apples and walnuts
i would allow it
Hers had apples, walnuts apples, grated coconut, tiny marshmellows, chopper celery, sliced grapes, Miracle Whip, and her own super secret ingredient:

A Grandmother's love for her family. THAT was what really made it...

I miss all my grandparents and father so very much...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
ah the veil is lifting

years later, after the death of Great Aunt Helen and the departure of the Old Man

we would celebrate Thanksgiving in Greenwich Village

at the home of my friend Philip Hourwich, who was one half White Russian (not the drink, I learned, nor his color, but his politics.. life is so hard in the melting pot.. and one quarter native american and one quarter mulatto)

we were all the children of artists..... we could not put together a nuclear family between us

so Phillip would host The Orphans' Thanksgiving

I remember with great fondness the one time I actually went there with my mother.

Two days before, I called to ask what we should bring. He said

"forty pounds of green beans"

so my mother and I went up to the greengrocer wholesalers .. above the meat packing district... and bought the beans.

and spent the night before stringing them

after that my mother was too ill to attend

and I set out on travelling again

but I always knew that Phillip would see to it that one of the orphans

would hand deliver a plate of Turkey and trimmings to my mother

who was a tribal elder She was a nationally reknowed etcher and engraver. You may google her ... I think.... Betty Waldo Parish

I am now the eldest in my family, on both paternal and maternal side, having lost both parents, all uncles and aunts, and two brothers

These holidays are hard on me

so I thank my virtual family here at DR1

for making the time more easy passing

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Posted by Robert.

If you post another side swipe at CB, your account is erased.
Don't say you haven't been warned.

I'm getting bored with the BS, some of you need to start acting like adults.

Don't bother responding, it will just be erased.

My advice, take a long vacation from DR1.

Carry on...

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
ok,Boss

my mother used to put minature marshmallows on the candied yam cassarole

as a concession to the kids

(We had the same meal on Christmas.. with the addition of HUGE amounts of ice cream and cake.. and, of course, filthy lucre, which was not part of Thanksgiving)

I hated the yams as a kid

but loved the marshmallows