The Accents of DR

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
The average Dominican is poorly educated.
Poor reading, writing and enunciation, beyond what an accent is.

Sort of like garbled wrapping, apparently "sounding cool" in their imagination.

On the converse, listen to the great Spanish being spoken by some Dominican politicians.

An accent is cultural heritage in all countries.
Many examples of regional accents in every EU country for example, or the evolution of Spanish in Latin America.

Yet the language spoken should be intelligible by all those who speak it.
No pride in butchering a language.
Or speaking too fast, not separating words.

Education is power!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The average Dominican is poorly educated.
Poor reading, writing and enunciation, beyond what an accent is.

Sort of like garbled wrapping, apparently "sounding cool" in their imagination.

On the converse, listen to the great Spanish being spoken by some Dominican politicians.

An accent is cultural heritage in all countries.
Many examples of regional accents in every EU country for example, or the evolution of Spanish in Latin America.

Yet the language spoken should be intelligible by all those who speak it.
No pride in butchering a language.
Or speaking too fast, not separating words.

Education is power!
There is no wrong way for a Spanish accent. Many Dominicans may feel the Dominican way of speaking (all of them) is wrong and try to correct it, unsually making it worse, but in reality the way all Dominican accents sound are correct. Whether a person like how they sound is a different story and generally, people don’t like as much Spanish accents from the Caribbean. But not liking an accent is not the same as the accent is wrong.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Well, to me it's the Dominican men whose spoken Spanish is the most irritating here. That said, Castilian Spanish is one of the most annoying dialects on the planet. When I have to listen to that pretentious antiquated lisp, I feel like my appendix is being removed with a teaspoon. In summary, I find all Spanish grating like nails on a chalkboard. It's an ancient, inefficient Language, takes far too many words to describe something simplistic. France tried too, but lost and now they are stuck with a dead language only used in certain culinary circles and on the tin can Airbus assembly line!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The capitaleños tend to speak much faster than those in Santiago and the north coast.

The campesinos where we live (San Cristobal) all speed talk. Forget the slang! I turned to Mr AE and said (in English) that I didn’t understand what the neighbor just said. He laughed and said he didn’t either. (He was raised in the capital. He can speak beautiful Spanish and street Spanish depending on the crowd 😂).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well, to me it's the Dominican men whose spoken Spanish is the most irritating here. That said, Castilian Spanish is one of the most annoying dialects on the planet. When I have to listen to that pretentious antiquated lisp, I feel like my appendix is being removed with a teaspoon. In summary, I find all Spanish grating like nails on a chalkboard. It's an ancient, inefficient Language, takes far too many words to describe something simplistic. France tried too, but lost and now they are stuck with a dead language only used in certain culinary circles and on the tin can Airbus assembly line!
French and Spain are both languages that make good music.

Reactions: Lucifer

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
French and Spain are both languages that make good music.
Thanks for sharing Bob!
Bob the Builder ~2 (1).png

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The accents of DR make their Spanish difficult for me to understand. Put Telemundo on, wow, they enunciate, I understood that!
Telemundo is meant to have a more neutral Spanish because its audience are Spanish speakers from various countries. If Telemundo was based on Chilean Spanish, no one but them would understand it. That too is one of the least liked (and understood) Spanish accents, despite Chile is one of the most developed and well educated countries in Latin America.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Then make it ESPN in Spanish. Any Spanish speaking channel (except Dominican). Same results. I’ve spoken to Chileans and Mexicans, they speak clearly. Not here. Communicating with Dominicans can be a challenge for me here. Ya tu sabes

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Then make it ESPN in Spanish. Any Spanish speaking channel (except Dominican). Same results. I’ve spoken to Chileans and Mexicans, they speak clearly. Not here. Communicating with Dominicans can be a challenge for me here. Ya tu sabes
Give it time, you’ll get used to it and will understand more day by day.

Reactions: cavok and Gadfly

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Thank you! I’m going on TWELVE years, it’s hopeless. The sponge is now a brick.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Give it time, you’ll get used to it and will understand more day by day.
True. It's taken a long time but I'm starting to actually prefer it over the accent from some other Spanish speaking countries. I have no problem understanding professionals like doctors, lawyers, bankers, or basically any well educated Dominican.

Reactions: JD Jones

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
True. It's taken a long time but I'm starting to actually prefer it over the accent from some other Spanish speaking countries. I have no problem understanding professionals like doctors, lawyers, bankers, or basically any well educated Dominican.
I was at a doctor's office, and she and I were having the conversation in Spanish, and I understood most of what she was telling me, and I was responding in Spanish, sort of. Just before she finished, she switched to English and gave me instructions on my prescriptions and care in perfect English.

Reactions: colmcb