The age of Marriage in DR now 18

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
From what I heard from many, kind of semi-religious type in DR, they just go off to their so called church (or whatever it is, probably a one man show running a small room deal), and then tie the knot by whoever is in charge of that establishment.

No registering or notifying the authorities etc. , after that they are called esposo and esposa by everyone, I guess this is one step above the just novio/novia. No age limit what-so-ever in that place, I know 13-years old are married in there.... !

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
5) La unión singular y estable entre un hombre y una mujer, libres de impedimento matrimonial, que forman un hogar de hecho, genera derechos y deberes en sus relaciones personales y patrimoniales, de conformidad con la ley;

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...eba-figura-del-concubinato-en-la-Constitucion

While not exactly free of all matrimonial impediments...

From that link the only "right" a spouse seems to have gotten was that if her man dies, she has some rights with respect to the inheritance.

I don't see any other details on the rights of a concubine that would make such a union a common law marriage equivalent to a normal marriage.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From what I heard from many, kind of semi-religious type in DR, they just go off to their so called church (or whatever it is, probably a one man show running a small room deal), and then tie the knot by whoever is in charge of that establishment.

No registering or notifying the authorities etc. , after that they are called esposo and esposa by everyone, I guess this is one step above the just novio/novia. No age limit what-so-ever in that place, I know 13-years old are married in there.... !

All religious ceremonies produce legal marriages according to the link DV8 provided in post 24.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I did see this little tidbit in the opinions on the new laws which de-criminalized "living in sin":

Therefore we infer, every woman who has a union of permanence, uniqueness and stability can be demonstrated, can claim fifty percent (50%) of the commons, which are acquired during their lifetime cohabiting in concubinage. I must clarify that inherited assets are not considered common property and can only claim the division of property couples constitute a single monogamous relationship, ie none of them is married to someone else.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I personally have a Union Libre document that has proved sufficient to enable my partner to obtain a EU visa several times and a US visa.....treated as married

As far as I know, unless the laws in the DR have changed, there is NO common law marriage in the DR.

Do you have proof otherwise?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No not really. Many of our teachers have this document. It wasnt good enough for the US embassy doe one of our teachers though.

I beg to differ. I think the law making cohabitation legal and granting some type of status to concubines was quite something for a country like this one.

As for why your teacher was refused, it could have been other reasons.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
We initially used this document successfully to obtain 6 week Shengen Visas for 3 years running. We then applied last year, December, for the US Visa and it was granted in 2 weeks for a period of 10 years

No not really. Many of our teachers have this document. It wasnt good enough for the US embassy doe one of our teachers though.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I beg to differ. I think the law making cohabitation legal and granting some type of status to concubines was quite something for a country like this one.

As for why your teacher was refused, it could have been other reasons.

No, she was told why she was refused. Because she was not married.