The Best Chicharones are in Villamae

Birdie

Jul 31, 2002
Chicharonnes

Hey there, friends. I'm writing to clear up this matter of gringo/as not eating chicharones. Actually, as a bona fide gringa (not from Europe - I understand the Europeans don't want to be associated with us and have to carry that title. ) I can tell you I grew up with a version of chicharonnes all around me in North Carolina in the "South" of the United States. If they are fresh off the pig (After roasting a whole pig for 24 hours in a pit with smoke or a special outdoor pig cooker), we call them "cracklin's" They are mostly baked pig skins, with lots of greasy meat attached, mmm-mmm. If they are the dried/aerated version, we simply call them pork skins and put them in a bag like potato ships. I must confess I no longer eat either (you might understand why), though my boyfriend who has cousins in Villa Mella says that both versions are really delicious. Fans of either one might embark on a culinary exchange to really study the matter (and share some indigestion). So if you're expecting to go to Villa Mella and eat actual pork MEAT, be prepared to sample some skin.

(Hey just so you know, the US is such a big place. Even though we share the same country name, we really do have disitinct regional differences, which I enjoy. It's weird to be lumped all together when we're abroad. LIke for me, "mi patria!" is North Carolina, which just happens to be one of those states up there. Chicago, for example, is like a foreigh place to me, even though I love to visit. In reality, I feel as at home in Santo Domingo(in a way, more so.) , because Chicago/Illinois is so different from North Carolina. SO we gringos are a mixed group of many regional flavors and spirits. )

Have happy times with your pork products!

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
there was a food stand just off duarte (sorry i dont know the intersecting street :() in SD where i found the best chicharones i have ever tasted! the stand/tent was operated by a mother-daughter team. im filipino and we're all about deep fried anything especially pork but this was better than anything ive ever had in the philippines (and filipinos CAN cook!)

i know that my description doesnt leave a lot to go on but if you're on duarte and are lucky enough to track them down, you wont regret it!!