The Chinese again

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Tiendas-Chinas-Diario-Libre--874x1024.png

An editorial in Diario Libre again focuses on the unusual behavior of Chinese business people in the country. The editorialist speculates a recent robbery in which seven people assaulted a condominium asking for the apartment where the “Chinese” lived. The editorialist hints these people are known to stash cash in their dwellings.

Dominican-owned businesses have consistently complained that the Chinese business people are bending the laws installing mega businesses with the authorities looking the other way when these find ways to get around city, labor, health and tax laws.

Read more in Spanish:Diario Libre

19 February 2024

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It's one thing to rip off customers with tacky plastic crap made to break quickly - but rip off the government by not paying taxes, well that's a different kettle of fish.

Home invasion of Chinese homes, when I lived in the SF Bay Area was a common occurrence because many do tend keep cash or gold at home.
Maybe they do not trust banks in general or it could be avoiding reporting income. Likely it is a hold over from the homeland where granting any control of money to the banks which are Communist controlled was avoided.

Reactions: Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's one thing to rip off customers with tacky plastic crap made to break quickly - but rip off the government by not paying taxes, well that's a different kettle of fish.

Home invasion of Chinese homes, when I lived in the SF Bay Area was a common occurrence because many do tend keep cash or gold at home.
Maybe they do not trust banks in general or it could be avoiding reporting income. Likely it is a hold over from the homeland where granting any control of money to the banks which are Communist controlled was avoided.
My Chinese next door neighbor in California was invaded. I came home from playing racquetball to find police in my home. The thief that robbed my Chinese neighbor of significant cash opened a window in my house, the very loud alarm went off and nothing was taken. It appeared nobody but the police entered. It was a surprise to see the canine squad respond and verify nobody was in my house. They informed me that the Chinese were not so lucky.

That said, the bigger picture is the DR should enforce its laws more evenly. China should definitely not be allowed to have the influence it wants to have in places like the DR and that goes way beyond Chinese stores and keeping money under the bed. Bad things result after the initial honeymoon of cooperation with the Chinese communists.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My Chinese next door neighbor in California was invaded. I came home from playing racquetball to find police in my home. The thief that robbed my Chinese neighbor of significant cash opened a window in my house, the very loud alarm went off and nothing was taken. It appeared nobody but the police entered. It was a surprise to see the canine squad respond and verify nobody was in my house. They informed me that the Chinese were not so lucky.

That said, the bigger picture is the DR should enforce its laws more evenly. China should definitely not be allowed to have the influence it wants to have in places like the DR and that goes way beyond Chinese stores and keeping money under the bed. Bad things result after the initial honeymoon of cooperation with the Chinese communists.
The Sunset district, as well as the Richmond Districts of SF were prime areas of targeted home invasion and the thieves who did not care if residents were home because they knew police response times were so long they would be long gone before help arrived. I lived in the Richmond and a Chinese couple a couple doors down from me, who owned a store selling high end ceramics and cookware, were robbed in daylight while the wife and teenage daughter were home.

I also worked on a tunnel project in the Richmond district and during a huge storm a mainline storm sewer failed adjacent to our excavation damaging or demolishing several homes (one being the former home of Ansel Adams) and also the garage of a Chinese owned home. The Chinese business owner made a claim that a safe he had within the garage held over $100,000 cash in it. The debris had washed into the tunnel. After a week of cleaning the wood & sand from the tunnel the safe was actually located brought out of the tunnel to the project and opened in front of authorities - it held less than $300 - I guess you couldn't blame old Mr. Fong for trying ? By the way the City rebuilt his garage and put an entire new foundation under his home plus paid him quite a large settlement for his inconvenience.

Invasions were usually coordinated by Asian gangs robbing them, knowing what they kept in the house or someone who knew that their businesses dealt in significant cash. I suspect DR robberies of Chinese might also coordinated by other Chinese, as they do have elements of organized criminals coming in with legit immigrants.

Reactions: Unit5

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I was till renewing DR residency years ago, I was surprised how many Chinese were in the room doing the same. That trend seems to be continuing if not increasing.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
When I was till renewing DR residency years ago, I was surprised how many Chinese were in the room doing the same. That trend seems to be continuing if not increasing.
Yes last time I renewed my residency I think 40% of the people in Migración were Chinese. Almost all were sloppily dressed which had me confused as there is supposed to be a dress code for going in to the building.

Reactions: windeguy and aarhus

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes last time I renewed my residency I think 40% of the people in Migración were Chinese. Almost all were sloppily dressed which had me confused as there is supposed to be a dress code for going in to the building.
The dress code does not seem to enforced like it was before. When I renewed my residency in September, most people were dressed per the rules, but there were quite a few gringos just wearing shorts and a T-shirt. I didn't notice an abnormally high number of Chinese - more than in past years though.

Reactions: aarhus

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Generally speaking, the Chinese here have a hierarchy (or Mafia if you prefer) and there is a group of persons who are the top dogs who control just about everything that happens Chinese.
I suspect the persons who were targeted were lower on the ladder and didn't enjoy a level of protection. I suspect the higher-ups are very well protected indeed and do not worry about this sort of nonsense.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Generally speaking, the Chinese here have a hierarchy (or Mafia if you prefer) and there is a group of persons who are the top dogs who control just about everything that happens Chinese.
I suspect the persons who were targeted were lower on the ladder and didn't enjoy a level of protection. I suspect the higher-ups are very well protected indeed and do not worry about this sort of nonsense.
Probably they control the gangs ?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Probably they control the gangs ?
They don't deal with Dominicans more than they have to, so I'd guess that's a no. Also, it was determined the gang in this assault ws controlled by a gang leader in jail.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016