The complete chaos in immigration at Las Americas SDQ airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
I don't understand this thread. It's titled "The complete chaos in immigration at Las Americas SDQ airport," but I can hardly find posts on that topic. As mentioned in my post, I'm concerned about the gossip (I say "gossip" because I don't have official confirmation) about the possibility that cash is no longer accepted at SDQ for the exit tax and that a credit (or debit?) card is required, and possibly that if the system is down, there could be confusion, missed flights, etc. Since I'm leaving on Tuesday, I'd like to get some clarity!
There was an incident two weeks ago in which the immigration computer system went down causing long lines and people missing their flights.
It was in the news
Systems are back up and running.

Reactions: MariaRubia

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There was an incident two weeks ago in which the immigration computer system went down causing long lines and people missing their flights.
It was in the news
Systems are back up and running.
Great. Thread can be closed in that case since the system is back up.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I don't understand this thread. It's titled "The complete chaos in immigration at Las Americas SDQ airport," but I can hardly find posts on that topic. As mentioned in my post, I'm concerned about the gossip (I say "gossip" because I don't have official confirmation) about the possibility that cash is no longer accepted at SDQ for the exit tax and that a credit (or debit?) card is required, and possibly that if the system is down, there could be confusion, missed flights, etc. Since I'm leaving on Tuesday, I'd like to get some clarity!

There is a big sign saying that you have to pay by card. But I witnessed 3 people paying by cash. So the answer is that nobody knows. Maybe you will be allowed to pay cash, maybe they will insist on a card. All very Dominican.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I don't know if they accept cash or not but logi
Thread doesn't make sense does it? It is an overstay fine, not a "tax". And it is not based in immigration laws.

I have heard that at Punta Cana airport people are still able to pay exit fines for overstaying their 30 day tourist cards illegally in cash.

Wouldn't be a surprise if that also happens at SDQ and other airports.
Get help.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Nine days ago I paid the exit fee (yes that's what the agent called it) at the cashier where there is pasted down sticker of logos of CC right in front of you. I paid in cash. I'm not surprised windy didn't know that since he "hates going to SD" and really doesn't stray very far from his abode.

Windy, sleep tight tonight as immigrations has it under control.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a big sign saying that you have to pay by card. But I witnessed 3 people paying by cash. So the answer is that nobody knows. Maybe you will be allowed to pay cash, maybe they will insist on a card. All very Dominican.
Yep, Very Dominican.
Interesting. Will he give himself 2 week vacations?
Or a month?
Are you a mod now Winde?
God no... Just a a thread that no longer would have existed if the replies didn't keep coming. I thought it might have been over paper versus plastic, but it turned out people can still use paper and the long gone issue was because of a computer problem long since resolved.
I don't know if they accept cash or not but logi

Get help.
I do need help on "logi"...

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Yep, Very Dominican.

Or a month?

God no... Just a a thread that no longer would have existed if the replies didn't keep coming. I thought it might have been over paper versus plastic, but it turned out people can still use paper and the long gone issue was because of a computer problem long since resolved.

I do need help on "logi"...
Or longer....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nine days ago I paid the exit fee (yes that's what the agent called it) at the cashier where there is pasted down sticker of logos of CC right in front of you. I paid in cash. I'm not surprised windy didn't know that since he "hates going to SD" and really doesn't stray very far from his abode.

Windy, sleep tight tonight as immigrations has it under control.
No surprise to me that any regulation isn't enforced. After all the immigration laws not being enforced are the reason people have to pay money for illegally overstaying a tourist card. An extra legal workaround instead of some legal method like a Snowbird Visa. God forbid people should take the path of legal residency instead. Legal residency is just too hard for them.,,

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No surprise to me that any regulation isn't enforced. After all the immigration laws not being enforced are the reason people have to pay money for illegally overstaying a tourist card. An extra legal workaround instead of some legal method like a Snowbird Visa. God forbid people should take the path of legal residency instead. Legal residency is just too hard for them.,,

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
You guys should give La Isabela airport a try. Best airport in the region to be honest. I flew in from Cuba and the whole landing to immigration to exit took less than 30 minutes. No time wasted and no BS.

It's way smaller than SDQ but also less hectic. Just a smooth experience.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Jd we are cut from different cloth for sure. I am part woman. I am a shoe guy and have an outfit for every occasion. I also am a product guy. Skin, soap gel etc. Large checked bag, carry on and a carry on brief case.
I can’t believe I missed this thread! So much material here. JD is a jabón de cuaba guy

• Haha
Reactions: Big

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You guys should give La Isabela airport a try. Best airport in the region to be honest. I flew in from Cuba and the whole landing to immigration to exit took less than 30 minutes. No time wasted and no BS.

Who flies out of La Isabela to the US?

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018

Seems like a great option. I found their website, and it shows a few arrivals and departures today, including American Airlines and Jet Blue to/from Miami, However, neither of those airline websites shows anything for this airport. Any idea why?

Nov 9, 2023
SC
Seems like a great option. I found their website, and it shows a few arrivals and departures today, including American Airlines and Jet Blue to/from Miami, However, neither of those airline websites shows anything for this airport. Any idea why?
La Isabella is mostly used for regional flights and private jets. Check flightradar24 for the real arrivals and departures.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I respectfully disagree with all all you state in this post. Then again, I disagree with most of the positions you take. That's just the way it is.

Reactions: Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I respectfully disagree with all all you state in this post. Then again, I disagree with most of the positions you take. That's just the way it is.
You cannot disagree with facts, johne. I stated facts. Anyone that stays over 30 days on a tourist card is an illegal alien. That is a fact.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
You cannot disagree with facts, johne. I stated facts. Anyone that stays over 30 days on a tourist card is an illegal alien. That is a fact.
Phil Collins hears ya Windy!

Got out of bed, wasn't feeling too good
With my wallet and my passport, a new pair of shoes
The sun is shining, so I head for the park
With a bottle of Tequila, and a new pack of cigarettes

I got a cousin and she got a friend
Who thought that her aunt knew a man who could help
At his apartment I knocked on the door
He wouldn't come out until he got paid

Now don't tell anybody what I wanna do
If they find out, you know that they'll never let me through

'Cause it's no fun being an illegal alien