The complete chaos in immigration at Las Americas SDQ airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is only for those who think they are legal after 30 days on a tourist card. That illegality was cleared up years ago when Dr Fabio Guzman said the exit money paid when people stay over 30 days was an extra legal workaround of the DR's immigration laws. So for johne:

Illegal aliens in DR

People are getting upset that they need to pay overstay fines using plastic since cash is no longer accepted in order to cut down on corruption by Migracion agents. Well, you were illegal and now complain about how you are allowed to pay for that… Go figure.

The tourist card payment of 10 USD is included in the price of your airline ticket when you fly from a tourist card country to the DR. According to DR law, the tourist card is valid for 15 days. You can see how far from the law the extra legal regulations of paying overstay fines are. Here is the actual law:

The PLD ignored the laws written by the previous party in the early 2000’s and instead put in the extra legal work-around of these exit fines not based in DR laws which some call fees. When you overpark do you pay a fine or a fee? Why would you pay a fine on the way out if you were legal all the time you were in the DR? Answer is because you were not legal after 30 days

Call it what you like, it is money you pay for overstaying illegally.. Here is what it said at the bottom of the payment schedule when the PLD created those exit “payments” back in the early 2000s:

Este pago no supone una prórroga que autorice al nacional extranjero a permanecer en el país. Translated to English: This payment does not constitute an extension that authorizes the foreign national to remain in the country.

Regarding driving in the DR: I spoke directly to the manager of INTRANT in Puerto Plata when my wife was getting her motorcycle endorsement to her license. I asked him how long a foreign driver’s license is valid in the DR and that INTRANT manager told me 30 days.

If your foreign license is valid for only thirty days is your Dominican automobile insurance policy liable to pay for any accidents you have when driving after 30 days on a no longer valid foreign license?

If you are legally in the DR after overstaying a tourist card why can you not get a DR driver’s license? You must have a DR Cedula to get a DR drivers license which means you are either a legal resident of some type or a citizen of the DR.

You can open a bank account for the first 30 days that you are in the DR on a tourist card using your passport. Not after 30 days. Why is that if you can stay as long as you like on a tourist card and be , ahem, “legal”?

There is a path to legal residency that exists, yes even for those from tourist card countries, who want to legally be in the DR after 30 days from entry and qualify through various financial methods . Not everyone will qualify and it takes some effort. It starts at the Dominican Embassy in your home country with a special residency visa and a number of required documents and payments. Why do they have a path to legal residency, getting a DR drivers license, etc etc if you can stay as long as you like on a tourist card ? All that information is available at migracion.gob.do by clicking the ways to get legal residency in the DR.

All that said, I know that the DR government does not enforce quite a few laws. Some of these are laws with respect to people that overstay tourist cards. I know people that live here full time and enter on tourist cards. When they leave they pay for the overstay. They come back and repeat over and over. And they drive after 30 days on foreign licenses with only a very few reporting they are fined for driving after 30 days on a foreign license. How would you like being hit by someone driving illegally and their insurance won’t cover the damages to you?

If anyone wants to dispute any of this feel free to speak with the government officials at INTRANT and Migracion.gob.do . I did. And I read the DR laws as well.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You cannot disagree with facts, johne. I stated facts. Anyone that stays over 30 days on a tourist card is an illegal alien. That is a fact.
I hesitate to respond to your struggles with this issue. I do not wish to fuel your lunacy but you can review my opinion of your posts in my post #58 above. Have a wonderful day.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hesitate to respond to your struggles with this issue. I do not wish to fuel your lunacy but you can review my opinion of your posts in my post #58 above. Have a wonderful day.
There is no lunacy involved. Simply facts. Nothing more. If you study the laws, you would see that.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Truly bizarre! A guy that claims to be a libratarian is constantly advocating for more government involvement. Immigration, deportation and taxes. I am also confused as to why he believes obtaining residency requires some type of special skill or knowledge.

Reactions: johne

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Truly bizarre! A guy that claims to be a libratarian is constantly advocating for more government involvement. Immigration, deportation and taxes. I am also confused as to why he believes obtaining residency requires some type of special skill or knowledge.
That would be Libertarian. I am not an open borders Libertarian. Those exist and I am not one of them. You might have noticed that. I am for the smallest possible government while having full control over the borders. I hope that clarifies my position. ,

Now where did I ever say that people need a special skill or knowledge to be legal in the DR? How did you come up with that?
They do have to qualify for legal residency in one of several ways in order to get it.

People I know who live here just pay money when they leave if they overstaying illegally, as you might have already figured out.
And nobody cares.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Sounds like you should design your own political party. Another issue you seem to be angry over is prostitution. A true 'Libertarian" is for legalizing prostitution.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Has the man from up north read OP #1 and the subject matter? Could you please take your banging on the table posts and recognize we have ALL heard your agenda..thousands of times. I really hope you are not the cause of yet another thread being closed. Because one day there will be no one that posts a OP. (I stopped a few months ago as it is not worth the effort)

Have a enjoyable evening.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Has the man from up north read OP #1 and the subject matter? Could you please take your banging on the table posts and recognize we have ALL heard your agenda..thousands of times. I really hope you are not the cause of yet another thread being closed. Because one day there will be no one that posts a OP. (I stopped a few months ago as it is not worth the effort)

IMG_0144.jpeg

Reactions: bob saunders

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I'm mulling over how far off topic this is going to go before that happens.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Why must we turn every single thread into a discussion on residency and the tourist card?
The agenda is getting tiresome. Not sure which is worse, the "agenda" or the constant negativity. Since many of us travel through the airports it is nice when someone posts some insight on what they are experiencing at the airport. But again, it is getting tiresome turning these threads into a personal agenda/crusade.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I have an idea. I read the Flyertalk forum and there are some threads on there, for example ones about lounge access, which always stay open on the site but they are strictly moderated and anything which is OT is immediately removed by the mods. I think it would be an idea to have threads like that on here, so for example a thread about current immigration lines at airports, but the mods ensure that these stay on topic (more than usual).

Maybe in the sense of fairness, we could have an "always open" thread to discuss residency vs the tourist card, a lovely corner for those who enjoy discussing that subject to sit in all day.

Reactions: colmcb

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sounds like you should design your own political party. Another issue you seem to be angry over is prostitution. A true 'Libertarian" is for legalizing prostitution.
I did. That is why I stated I am not for open borders in the least. How many people do you know that have complete allegiance to every tenet of a political party?

I am not angry over prostitution and never was. I could care less what two consenting adults do. I simply pointed out the DR government was angry over the Muppets mainly from NYC posting of their sexploits on social media. That really pissed off the DR government in Santo Domingo. If you read the actual news you would have noticed that and all the silly actions the government took. And it made for such a stimulating discussions from the whoremongers who though Sosua would disappear of they stopped cumming to the DR.

And I am glad the chaos continues at the airport so the thread can continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.