The Corraplata Shakedown

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We live in Los Cerros.

We have a bill each month that is paid on time, without fail. The meter reader quit reading the meter during the quarantine but maybe they are starting back again, as I got a caught up bill. An extra 100 pesos with a reading.
OK.
But the problem is we only have water maybe once a week for 6 hours, then they close the valves. sometimes there is a 2nd day per week.
We have a fairly large cistern and roof tank, but after 4-5 days it runs low, if not out.

The other day I asked nicely to the Corraplata worker when I saw him to open the valves as we did not have water for 4 days. He obliged but now we are back without water going on the 4th day tomorrow.

one of my neighbors, a poor Dominican family, has a small tank and a large family and they are out of water, but Corraplata rep told him he will no longer turn on the valves until the neighbors pay him directly
WTF - now we have to pay graft to a field worker for water ?

In addition to that I know Corraplata got a certain amount of money to fix pipes in this neighborhood and one other, but the pipes are still not being fixed, not even one.

There was a big leak in front of my neighbor, which he tried to fix because it was flooding his driveway, yard and the street, but it was not a good job and it is leaking (just a lesser amount)
Again He reported it to the Corraplata rep to fix it but was told it would be fixed only if he pays him directly, then he will order a crew to come out, and this is Corraplata's main line.

I will be going in to pay the bill this week but I will ask if I can just pay half (seems fair - as there is water less than half the time) and let them know their man is shaking down neighbors for water.

The corruption knows no limits here.

Several people are drilling wells in the neighborhood, and maybe that is the solution ?
They have chained off the valves but then again a battery operated 4" grinder will cut that chain, if need be.

Is it any wonder why Dominicans illegally tap into the pipes of this criminal enterprise ?

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
We've pretty much resorted to paying the local camion de agua guy 300-400 pesos to fill our tinaco. it lasts about a week, unless it's a laundry week. We live in La Union
And that water.

Having as bullet proof a water plan here is the most important component to any long term stay here.

Sorry the OP is having this problem. Been there done that. It's why I moved.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
My friend pays over 3 yrs to them.... wait for it ...wait for it... no water zero zilch on beach so no welll and pays for trucked in water..but still pays corrupt plata..

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I live in the south in Boca Chica. Not understanding this at all. It must be a regional thing because we don't have problems here.
North Coast Puerto plata.. I’m on well water only way in our area and still get Monthly bill from $150-250 peso a month from them. Government owns all water so it is law you supposed to pay it’s about 50/50 who pays it and who doesn’t .

Reactions: JD Jones