The "Dominican"

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
mountainfrog said:
Sure, as he 's called Blair. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

m'frog

LOL, reminder to self, check texts for typos in threads about correct language usage.

Froschfresser... I hope you don't speak from experience... :)

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
German Frog

qgrande said:
LOL, reminder to self, check texts for typos in threads about correct language usage.

Frog has excuse, English is not my mother tongue... :lick:

qgrande said:
Froschfresser... I hope you don't speak from experience... :)
Nope.
1. I'm not French.
2. Never was swallowed by one, still alive and jumping.... :lick:

m'frog

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
thanatos said:
For someone who is a member of DR1 and has posted more than 80 times about things related to The Dominican Republic you sure seem hostile to it. That said I do accept your wish for the best of luck to us Dominicans. Our beaches await you.

I had written my last word on this topic but you write well so I will explain my views in a much clearer way

1) A name/Name of a country, is just a name. Yes we can attach pride to a name but a county's name does not have to follow english structure, be gramatically correct nor even make sense or have a meaning. A name essentially is just a unique identifier and nothing else. When people are equating a name/nickname/short form of a name etc with proper education and proper english grammar, then IMHO, they are mixing two different things up.

3) Yes France is the french republic and Argentina is the argentine republic but a better analogy would be the republic of ireland and the federal republic of germany. But everyone calls them ireland and germany. Why?. Because the term 'republic' is so generic to the names of so many countries that most people are intuitively tuned to leave it out. That is the same reason why some people will call 'the dominican republic' as 'the dominican' and leave out the republic.

3) Talking of pride, 'the dominican republic' is an english name and the real name is 'la republica dominicana'. I think that if I was dominican, I would take more pride in what tourist call the spanish one than the english one which is an adopted name. The official language is spanish and probably only an insignificant percentage of the population can speak/understand english. So where should the pride be and how many dominicans really care whether it is called 'the dominican' or 'the dominican republic'?

4) Yes 'I went to the dominican and met a dominican' may sound funny but so does:

-' I went into a fit after the clothes did not fit me'
-' To drive a car will drive me crazy'
- ' What type of a keyboard do you type with'
- 'I am nuts about eating nuts'

Obviously we have no problems with the last 4 examples because they have been accepted and we have gotten used to it.

5) I have no hostility towards the country. I have met and made some really wonderful and friendly people there and I will continue to visit when I have the opportunity. Some of my comments about corruption and going down the drain were just written to drive home some point. Every country in the world has it's own share of it's problems. No pun intended from this fella.

6) I think that we can all agree to disagree on this topic

Sholly (just a trouble maker)

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
jrzyguy said:
this debate goes on and on and on.

I kinda agree with miguel tho (how that for a change lol).

I believe it IS ignorant to say "the domincan". Do you say the China? The england? etc? Nope! I dont think it is totaly uneducated people who say this tho. Not everyone is so passionate about the DR as we all are here. So some well educated people do slip and say the domincan. Most people who travel to DR...or who are from the DR...usualy refer to it as the DR. NOT the Domincan or Domincan Republic or La Republica Domincana

i wish our resident linguist lesley would chime in on this one. I always get a kick when someone asks me "how long you were you in the domincan"....i know..this is old here...but it still cracks me up every time i hear it...and i want to say 30 minutes on a good night :)
When someone asks me where I am from. I tell them The Bronx as does anyone else that is from Da Bronx. I also own a home in The Dominican Republic. I don't know about you but it sounds right to me.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Not Getting It

Sholly24 said:
... Yes France is the french republic and Argentina is the argentine republic but a better analogy would be the republic of ireland and the federal republic of germany. But everyone calls them ireland and germany. Why?

Because people are not so stupid as to use the adjectives (German or Irish) for country names.
This seems to be reserved for certain "DR-people"... :lick:

In terms like "Republic of..." the country names are nouns and can stand alone with grammatical reason and sense.
So, "Germany" is correct, "The German" (as country name) is not and ridicilous. :laugh:

m'frog

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sholly24 said:
3) Yes France is the french republic and Argentina is the argentine republic but a better analogy would be the republic of ireland and the federal republic of germany. But everyone calls them ireland and germany. Why?. Because the term 'republic' is so generic to the names of so many countries that most people are intuitively tuned to leave it out. That is the same reason why some people will call 'the dominican republic' as 'the dominican' and leave out the republic.
You say it is a better example, as it could suit your argument, which, btw, holds no water. Pay special attention here.
The examples I used are identical, with the word "republic" following the adjective, as in Dominican Republic.
This is the poorest argument you have made, to date, and it demonstrates a stubbornness and unwillingness to admit you are wrong, when proven wrong.

Sholly24 said:
Just when I thought it was impossible to make a worse comparison than the top one, you have outdone yourself with irrelevance.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Rocky said:
Of course. I was simply demonstrating the correct terms.
One thing for sure, i never said I was "in the French", nor, "in the Argentinian", unless of course, I was refering to a sexual encounter.

ok you wouldn't say it like that because the official name is??? The republic of FRance and the Republic of Argentina??? am I right? and the DOMINICAN Republic right? Republic comes after not before, that's why people shorten it to say the Dominican and just drop off Republic, in casual conversation is acceptable whether some of you like it or not. In formal settings I agree it should be said correctly but nothing in the "Republic" is gonna collapse because some people say "The Dominican".

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Almost There

M.A.R. said:
...The republic of FRance and the Republic of Argentina??? am I right? and the DOMINICAN Republic right? Republic comes after not before, that's why people shorten it to say the Dominican and just drop off Republic...

Thus making the mistake. :lick:

You, however, almost got it. ;)

This is excactly the point:
It's essential to understand that in some terms the word "Republic" stands before or after the geographical term.
Decisive is, whether the latter functions as an adjective or as a noun. Very simple. ;)

Don't stop halfway, keep on thinking.

m'frog

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
would not a translation to English of "La Republica Dominicana" be the " Republic of the Dominican"?

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
jruane44 said:
When someone asks me where I am from. I tell them The Bronx as does anyone else that is from Da Bronx. I also own a home in The Dominican Republic. I don't know about you but it sounds right to me.

you mean...you dont say you are from "da boogie down"????
lol

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Sholly24 said:
I had written my last word on this topic but you write well so I will explain my views in a much clearer way

1) A name/Name of a country, is just a name. Yes we can attach pride to a name but a county's name does not have to follow english structure, be gramatically correct nor even make sense or have a meaning. A name essentially is just a unique identifier and nothing else. When people are equating a name/nickname/short form of a name etc with proper education and proper english grammar, then IMHO, they are mixing two different things up.

3) Talking of pride, 'the dominican republic' is an english name and the real name is 'la republica dominicana'. I think that if I was dominican, I would take more pride in what tourist call the spanish one than the english one which is an adopted name. The official language is spanish and probably only an insignificant percentage of the population can speak/understand english. So where should the pride be and how many dominicans really care whether it is called 'the dominican' or 'the dominican republic'?

4) Yes 'I went to the dominican and met a dominican' may sound funny but so does:

Obviously we have no problems with the last 4 examples because they have been accepted and we have gotten used to it.

5) I have no hostility towards the country. I have met and made some really wonderful and friendly people there and I will continue to visit when I have the opportunity. Some of my comments about corruption and going down the drain were just written to drive home some point. Every country in the world has it's own share of it's problems. No pun intended from this fella.

6) I think that we can all agree to disagree on this topic

Sholly (just a trouble maker)
Others have responded to specific points that you already made so I am not going to be redundant. What I will say is that the reasoning you use is the most twisted logic I have ever seen. You're arguments remind me of a child after being told Santa Claus does not exists trying to prove he does.

Btw our beaches still welcome you.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Lousy Try

bob saunders said:
would not a translation to English of "La Republica Dominicana" be the " Republic of the Dominican"?

No, it would not.
For one, it lacks the plural-'s' (the Dominicans).
That mistake taken into account, your translation means:
"La República de los Dominicanos"

m'frog

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Found this gem while surfing the web;

http://www.cakafete.com/dominica.htm

If you will allow me I would like to quote a section from that page;

“We are not the Dominican Republic

Dominica is an English-speaking island in the Windward Island group of the Eastern Caribbean. But there is one Spanish sentence that every Dominican knows, and that is Mal encaminado a Santo Domingo: Missent to the Dominican Republic. It appears stamped in purple ink across many of the letters we receive from abroad. It is an inconvenience we have to live with. It always has to be emphasised that these are two completely different Caribbean states. The Dominican Republic is in the Greater Antilles, the Commonwealth of Dominica is in the Lesser Antilles.
The Columbus family has a lot to answer for where the people of Dominica are concerned. Christopher Columbus sighted the island on Sunday, 3 November, 1493 and christened it in Latin Dominica in honour of the Lord's Day. Five years later his brother Bartholomew established a city on the island of Hispaniola much further north and called it Santo Domingo. Over three centuries later the descendants of these settlers established The Dominican Republic, and since then the two islands have been tied in a knot of confused identity.
When the British Colony of Dominica prepared for Independence in 1978, it considered the problem of nomenclature. Some suggested that the island should revert to its original Carib Indian name. But that was Wai'tukubuli and the majority considered it was too much of a mouthful. To make matters more confusing, Dominica was to become a Republic, but the word 'republic' had to be avoided at all costs. So the government settled on the wording Commonwealth of Dominica which, as someone soon pointed out, has more letters in it than Wai'tukubuli!
Nevertheless, the confusion remains and every citizen of Dominica is resigned to the fact that whenever he goes abroad, or writes in the international press, he has to give a lesson in Caribbean geography. The simplest version goes: 'The Dominican Republic is the biggest one next to Haiti, we are the smaller ones south.'”

Rick

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Dom

Rick Snyder said:
But there is one Spanish sentence that every Dominican knows, and that is Mal encaminado a Santo Domingo: Missent to the Dominican Republic. It appears stamped in purple ink across many of the letters we receive from abroad.

Same here.
Stamp says something like: Missent to Dominica.....

BTW, what are the people of Dominica called?
The above text suggests "Dominicans"....

m'frog

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
They are in fact called Dominicans but due to the controversy between them and the DR they must specify they are Dominicans from Doninica and not Dominicans from the Dominican Republic. As English is their major language the have no "Republica Dominicana" to contend with.