The Downside of Colmados...Perhaps

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Remember that the word colmado actually means full or full to the brim. We used to own a colmado and I couldn't understand why we had to have it overflowing with stock - 100 tins of Carnation, 100 bottles of Brugal, until it was explained to me that people don't buy in a colmado unless it is full. Hence the reason for lots of out of date products.

Matilda

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Why is it that if you don't eat your cold cuts in 1 day they have a slime on them the 2nd day, Iv'e thrown a lot of cold cuts. I hardly buy them anymore.

I quit buying cold cuts mainly because of that, and also because they contain nitrates. I used to be a big Butterball Turkey fan. I'd have the deli cut it thin and give in to me in 1/2 lb. trays, freeze them, and take them out one at a time.

Quit that when I switched to nothing processed about a year ago.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Why is it that if you don't eat your cold cuts in 1 day they have a slime on them the 2nd day, Iv'e thrown a lot of cold cuts. I hardly buy them anymore.
You will live longer not eating any cold cuts. I had two small hawks when I lived in Bonao. Fed them chicken hearts and they thrived. Went away for a week. Wife's kid ran out of chicken hearts so he fed them salamai. They died just before I got back.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You will live longer not eating any cold cuts. I had two small hawks when I lived in Bonao. Fed them chicken hearts and they thrived. Went away for a week. Wife's kid ran out of chicken hearts so he fed them salamai. They died just before I got back.

that salami stuff will kill anything..it is not food..

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
https://www.diariolibre.com/economi...donde-hallo-2-200-productos-danados-YE7134607

This current report in Diario Libre makes one wonder if, when we make that call to out local colmado for a delivery, are we getting old stock? Is there a mafia selling to colmados old stuff?

Good result from Consumer Agency, but how common is this?

And do we, the customer, check what we get?

That should be no surprise to anyone. Buyer beware. Anything that is perishable should be thrown away if spoiled, but how many times have you seen produce sitting on the shelf rotting. Additional if can goods are not rotated when the shelves are stocked you could end up with outdated merchandise. I have seen some really clean and cared for stores and those that are not. You have to know who you dealing with. I would be hard pressed to order something from one these places and allow a worker bee to make the choice. That's just me. Some may have more faith.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
you guys ever see anyone in a colmado ask for a few slices of salami with crackers to eat right away and notice what third item the colmado owner gives them?

a huge piece of lemon because it should kill all any bacteria that may get them sick! or at least that's what they think.

:)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Also keep in mind that many Dominicans use the colmado out of necessity. In a supermarket they can't get things fiao.

In their neighborhood colmado they can buy now and pay later.

Exactly. Plus, at the colmado, you can buy quantities that are not available in regular store, like 1 pamper, 1 cube or the smallest quantity of sugar/vinegar/you name it...I am sure on the long haul it comes out more expensive, but you buy what you can afford at the time.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Exactly. Plus, at the colmado, you can buy quantities that are not available in regular store, like 1 pamper, 1 cube or the smallest quantity of sugar/vinegar/you name it...I am sure on the long haul it comes out more expensive, but you buy what you can afford at the time.

that's right!

it's gotta be more expensive for sure

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Certainly more expensive but when you only have 40 pesos in the pocket ..
..and need to eat or cook....
The choices narrow 

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Certainly more expensive but when you only have 40 pesos in the pocket ..
..and need to eat or cook....
The choices narrow 
... this is why IMHO the colmados will continue to thrive ,until the population(as a whole),has enough in their pockets to stock up in the major supermarkets and not have to buy necessities by the 5, 10, 25 cheles.

Jan 7, 2016
Now....if they'd just FIGURE-OUT A WAY TO SHUT-OFF THE LOUD MUSIC, I'd be in favor of more Colmados! The convenience factor....but the noise factor, that's another story entirely!

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I'm with you on that one. I have an aversion to unnecessarily loud music and noise in general.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Also keep in mind that many Dominicans use the colmado out of necessity. In a supermarket they can't get things fiao.

In their neighborhood colmado they can buy now and pay later.

They can also send over one of the kids with a plastic bottle and get enough oil to cook the meal for the night.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I hate having to train them. I just moved to a new neighborhood and the colmados always try to get over even if its for a few pesos.

Most people think I'm Dominican until I open my mouth. So the fist time I went to the colmado in my new hood, I just put the money on the counter and didn't say anything. I was charged the right price because I received the change I was expecting. Went back to the same colmodo that evening, and bought the same item but this time I asked now much, it was 15 pesos more. When I told the guy I bought the same item early in the day he say no way. I told him, I'm new to this colmodo but not to this country.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Now....if they'd just FIGURE-OUT A WAY TO SHUT-OFF THE LOUD MUSIC, I'd be in favor of more Colmados! The convenience factor....but the noise factor, that's another story entirely!

Well, I'm not so sure....

I stopped one night and my wife insisted I ask who was singing the song that was playing.

Jose Luis Perales........ we now have him on Pandora.

Not always bad.... she took a shine to Spanish music from that.