The DR and the Recession of 2008

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Love what’s coming to Santiago as a transport solution. View attachment 7972
That's one of the cars of the actual monorail that is currently being built in Santiago. That thing is already getting tested. I wonder when it will finally leave Europe (I think they are being built in Spain, not sure though) for the DR and through which port it will enter the country? If through Haina, it will have to be taken by trucks to Santiago. In that case, many people will most likely stand by the Duarte Highway with cellphones ready to snap pictures and video as the trains are shipped to STI. I think they are too big to be inside the containers of tractor trailer trucks. If so, Dominican social media might be flooded with many photos and videos by amateurs. lol

The other options are through Caucedo, Manzanillo near Montecristi or Puerto Plata (which I doubt it will be through here.)

Last edited:

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
And the DR’s economy is only getting more resilient and strong.
Record tourists…
Infrastructure upgrades.
Not imploded yet…

Time is a good thing.
It demonstrates if facts are based on a strong economic sense.

We’re still on two cylinders out of a potential 12…
DR is bound to be a logistics hub.

What do you think?
Infrastructure: some malecones and big colorful kindergarten block letters for each town
Records tourists: sources other than LD and DL please?

Also idk if you're in the know but the peso has been devaluating since the pandemic and food costs are at record highs, supply is a big issue

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Infrastructure: some malecones and big colorful kindergarten block letters for each town

Also idk if you're in the know but the peso has been devaluating since the pandemic and food costs are at record highs, supply is a big issue
I live here! Retired here!
Facts are easy to corroborate!

Reactions: johne and JD Jones

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You're right. Confuse the place they are made with the extra cars to be sent from Europe for the SD Metro. lol Those will definitely arrive via Haina as all the Metro cars did, but the arrival of the monorails for STI is still unclear to me at least.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That's one of the cars of the actual monorail that is currently being built in Santiago. That thing is already getting tested. I wonder when it will finally leave Europe (I think they are being built in Spain, not sure though) for the DR and through which port it will enter the country? If through Haina, it will have to be taken by trucks to Santiago. In that case, many people will most likely stand by the Duarte Highway with cellphones ready to snap pictures and video as the trains are shipped to STI. I think they are too big to be inside the containers of tractor trailer trucks. If so, Dominican social media might be flooded with many photos and videos by amateurs. lol

The other options are through Caucedo, Manzanillo near Montecristi or Puerto Plata (which I doubt it will be through here.)
Probably on a specially prepared flatbed. It doesn't appear to be as long as the Metro coaches.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

You're right. Confuse the place they are made with the extra cars to be sent from Europe for the SD Metro. lol Those will definitely arrive via Haina as all the Metro cars did, but the arrival of the monorails for STI is still unclear to me at least.
I got ahead of today's La Información newspaper. lol

What I csn't figure out is why they used the same photo in the front page again in the article? They ran out of photos of the monorail? Right in this thread Pichardo shows a photo from a different angle!

IMG_2797.jpeg

IMG_2798.jpeg

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

As a long time resident of Santiago, I'm looking forward to it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The DR is now the country that is converging the fastest in Latin America towards a USA standards of living (aka, a developed country.) Before it wasn't that the DR wssn't up there, Panama and Chile were the only two Latin American countries converging faster than the DR. Now that new data is included is revealed that even those two countries are behind the DR.

Among the many things this means it includes a sharp drop of poverty and increase of the middle class (already most families now part of the middle dlass a generation or two ago were families living in poverty.)

This will not affect much Dominican emigration rates, which are very high, because emigration is more of a cultural issue. When it becomes that, it doesn't matter what happens economically. Dominicans are convinced the DR is doomed and there is no point in staying since it will never change. This is why it's affecting all levels of society including wealthier ones. Case in point, Dominican emigration (primarily to the USA) is much greater than most countries that are not moving faster towards a USA standards of living, but the people there in general don't gave emigration as a culture (people see emigration itself as an improvement, even if their new lives in the new country aren't that much different from what it was in the DR. It's somewhat common to meet Dominicans living abroad that think the DR is the worst country in the world, noteven Haitians think of that about Haiti which in reality is in much worst shape.

IMG_3967.jpeg

Last edited:

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The DR is now the country that is converging the fastest in Latin America towards a USA standards of living (aka, a developed country.) Before it wasn't that the DR wssn't up there, Panama and Chile were the only two Latin American countries converging faster than the DR. Now that new data is included is revealed that even those two countries are behind the DR.

Among the many things this means it includes a sharp drop of poverty and increase of the middle class (already most families now part of the middle dlass a generation or two ago were families living in poverty.)

This will not affect much Dominican emigration rates, which are very high, because emigration is more of a cultural issue. When it becomes that, it doesn't matter what happens economically. Dominicans are convinced the DR is doomed and there is no point in staying since it will never change. This is why it's affecting all levels of society including wealthier ones. Case in point, Dominican emigration (primarily to the USA) is much greater than most countries that are not moving faster towards a USA standards of living, but the people there in general don't gave emigration as a culture (people see emigration itself as an improvement, even if their new lives in the new country aren't that much different from what it was in the DR. It's somewhat common to meet Dominicans living abroad that think the DR is the worst country in the world, noteven Haitians think of that about Haiti which in reality is in much worst shape.

View attachment 8190
Haiti is right of Mexico?????? I would have expected it to be -(3∞)^^2 😱 😱

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Case in point, Dominican emigration (primarily to the USA) is much greater than most countries that are not moving faster towards a USA standards of living, but the people there in general don't gave emigration as a culture (people see emigration itself as an improvement, even if their new lives in the new country aren't that much different from what it was in the DR. It's somewhat common to meet Dominicans living abroad that think the DR is the worst country in the world, noteven Haitians think of that about Haiti which in reality is in much worst shape.
Funny.
I know a few who have been up to the USA for the first time since Covid (mainly NYC) and they hated it. Some people will always be convinced the grass is gonna be greener on the other side...
until they get a taste of it.

This thread is 255 pages long, is this an all time record?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

I just realized this asking for a taxi price Sanchez at Caribe Tours to Las Terrenas. It’s now 50 usd almost 3,000 pesos and the trip used to be around a 1,000 pesos just two years ago.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The DR is doing reasonable well compared to countries like Haiti, Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua and El Salvador.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The DR is doing reasonable well compared to countries like Haiti, Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua and El Salvador.
It's doing better compared to countries like the USA, Canada, Spain, Itsly too.

For example, in the USA the economy isn't growing as much, the middle class is actually shrinking, debt is at a much higher percentage of GDP, inequality has been increasing for several years among other issues.