The DR - on a shoestring!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Great post, TJ. I would say it is preferable to do this with a travel companion but a woman on her own, employing commonsense and speaking reasonable Spanish should be OK.
I backpacked through several countries in my younger days, most of which would be considered more dangerous than the DR (South and Central America, Western and Eastern Europe and the Middle East).

I lived to tell the tale. :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The country is starting to see more independent travelers, backpackers etc and that's great news.

I would rather see this type of tourism here than an AI tourism, at least they spend money in the local economy.

Best advice...

Plan out your trip, read all that you can on DR1 and also make a few connections here on the board, they can be invaluable.

Reactions: Bronxboy

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
I took an 8 day trip as a solo woman traveler a couple years ago and had no problems. I spoke only a little guidebook travel spanish but found people willing to help me along the way as I was willing to make an effort to communicate. My final destination was an AI in Punta Cana for a friend's wedding. I couldn't persuade anyone else to travel around outside the AI so I did it myself.
Started in Santo Domingo and stayed at Hotel Ataranza. Took a taxi to Jarabacoa (probably about $100 but worth it considering time constraints and bus schedules at the time). Took a tour and stayed at the Alta Gracia coffee farm (waterfalls and other activities in that area would be great too -it's really beautiful up there). Got a ride to La Vega bus to Santiago bus to Puerto Plata and Gua Gua to Cabarete for windsurfing. I flew from Cabarate to Punta Cana and departed from there.

My advice would be to plan transportation carefully or leave your schedule flexible. The roads are bad and what may look like a 2 hour trip on a map may be closer to 5. Have a little street sense but be open to people.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Are you serious ?

if somebody called that very risky, so in my case it's going to be extremely risky then as I'm on a very tight budget, very young solo female traveller . I'm staying in DR for 8 days, starting with Santo Domingo staying there one day and a half and making my way to Samana, probably doing the same as what they did, Las Galeras, El Limon etc maybe including Los Haitises national park. Then going to Cabarete to learn how to surf. If anyone thinks there's a better option than exploring Samana please tell me, as South cost sounds good for exploring as well and I don't know what to choose. I have one day extra so maybe a day trip from Santo Domingo to one of the South towns?

I agree with everyone as I am an independent traveler myself who never stayed in an AI. Moreover, nothing julila mentions is really off the beaten path.

But very young ? If very young means 17, no way !

julija

Apr 15, 2010
As a mother I had to say something too. How young are you ? Do you speak spanish ? Are you a traveler ? Have you done this before ?

I think DR is very safe but on a very tight budget, by yourself, unexperienced (if you are), it may not be for you (especially with all the traveling you will be doing within the island).

Just my two cents.

Yes, my parents are worried too, but I don't live with them so they can't do anything about it. I'll be 19 at that time in DR. Yes, I do speak basic spanish and could express myself in different life situations. At the moment I'm still studying it independently at least 3 hours per week. Am I a traveler?, well I travelled around Europe with my friends when I was still under 18 and I was the one that organised all hostel bookings, had all the maps printed in hand and all bus and trams times, so I was always very organised and prepared. The only thing that worries me is my debit card, cash and passport. Because I'll probably be staying in hostel dorms, it's not safe to leave anything there, but I don't want to carry them on me all the time to the beaches, horse rides and so on. I still have to sort that thing out.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Yes, my parents are worried too, but I don't live with them so they can't do anything about it. I'll be 19 at that time in DR. Yes, I do speak basic spanish and could express myself in different life situations. At the moment I'm still studying it independently at least 3 hours per week. Am I a traveler?, well I travelled around Europe with my friends when I was still under 18 and I was the one that organised all hostel bookings, had all the maps printed in hand and all bus and trams times, so I was always very organised and prepared. The only thing that worries me is my debit card, cash and passport. Because I'll probably be staying in hostel dorms, it's not safe to leave anything there, but I don't want to carry them on me all the time to the beaches, horse rides and so on. I still have to sort that thing out.

Thanks for answering Julila. I didn't want to sound so motherly and inquisitive :eek:

You seem to know what you are doing. I myself traveled indepedently at your age but always with a friend though. I started traveling alone a few years later.

Have a safe trip, you will have a blast (don t fall in love with a papichulo ;) )

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
Make copies of your passport, debit card info (the phone # on the back). Hide the copies and cash in different places. If something does get stolen, chances are you'll still have something to work with. That said, usually there is a place to leave things when on an excursion. Tip the maids daily. I've never had anything stolen when traveling including some rather expensive equipment. Of course it happens. But take some precautions, know what you'll do if things do get stolen and then don't stress about it.