The future of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I have no issue with changing topics but do not think a few posts create a new main topic.
I think our little town is much improved over the last 15 years or so.
I only wish the town could make an effort to cooperate with the Beach Vendors Association with a goal of improving the beach.
The public beach is one of the gems of Sosua but could be vastly improved with sanitation and maybe night lighting to start.
It almost seems like purposeful neglect.
Would also like to see some safety measures for the small boats reckless behavior.
Hope we are not waiting for a serious accident or fatality.
Motor boats and beach bathers are not a good mix and it is an accident waiting to happen.
Forgot one unique quality on Sosua beach.
I am fair skinned and have had my time in the sun.
Most beaches lack any shade and people quickly get an unhealthy dose of sun.
Our beach has those lovely shade trees just a few feet from the shoreline.
Visitors can enjoy a day at the beach without enduring the effects of the tropical sun.
Shade makes our beach unique and my fave place in Sosua.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Zoom,

My overall comment was overdue and the two great posts you just made proves my point.

We all know prostitution is part of what goes on in Sosua but there is more than that and it’s future looks promising assuming we educate the locals to think long term rather than just short term.

The powers that be also need to do the same.

As I said, you brought up some good points.

What resources/contacts does someone like you have as far as being able to discuss this with those in power?

It’s also your future at stake since you are living there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
most excellent point, not to take this good thread off course, I dont see why people cannot belittle people that are trapped in relationships with the same Dominican paying for everything for her and her family for years and believing it is true love Thats more painful to watch than some old guy having a weekend fantasy
You can make fun of whomever you want within the confines this forum allows.

I am not making fun of whoremongers and am not at all concerned about their own fun with chicas in the least.
I will leave that up to the government and those who want to redevelop Sosua.

Nor do I care about others and their family relationships. I care only about mine, they can worry about theirs.

As for Sosua, CV19 has likely delayed the entrance of more retired expats on the north coast.
I suspected, and still suspect, that the future of the area when it comes to non-natives and the discussions we have on DR1.
Since we don't have an MLS service here, it is hard to tell how many new sales are happening in Casa Linda.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I only wish the town could make an effort to cooperate with the Beach Vendors Association with a goal of improving the beach.
The public beach is one of the gems of Sosua but could be vastly improved with sanitation and maybe night lighting to start.
It almost seems like purposeful neglect.

Beach Vendors Association? I think they're squatters. I could be wrong about that, the actual land owner could be "officially" letting them remain.

But at the very least they are squatters and just being allowed to remain till the landowner wants them gone. Until that time comes, they're not really harming anyone. But no one is going to spend money on a sewage system or a pump station for the squatters at Playa Sosua.

You are right it is a sanitation problem. I've seen the makeshift outhouses out behind the vendor shacks. There's a whole little village back there.
It'll get cleaned up eventually.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Zoom,

My overall comment was overdue and the two great posts you just made proves my point.

We all know prostitution is part of what goes on in Sosua but there is more than that and it’s future looks promising assuming we educate the locals to think long term rather than just short term.

The powers that be also need to do the same.

As I said, you brought up some good points.

What resources/contacts does someone like you have as far as being able to discuss this with those in power?

It’s also your future at stake since you are living there.
Sosua must still be quite popular since it can generate so much interest and postings in this thread.

Reactions: CristoRey

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
most excellent point, not to take this good thread off course, I dont see why people cannot belittle people that are trapped in relationships with the same Dominican paying for everything for her and her family for years and believing it is true love Thats more painful to watch than some old guy having a weekend fantasy

I think we hit a nerve with some people ..
it is painful to watch... Sosua is LOADED with such " expats" ..

and stimulate the Economy >> they do NOT , except for whatever the little lady and her family is buying ...

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
btw, +1 to improving the Sosua Beach. It would be **amazing** if the corals were allowed to grow back, but that would take the tourists only using coral-friendly sunscreens and not walking on them. Can we do a go fund me?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
btw, +1 to improving the Sosua Beach. It would be **amazing** if the corals were allowed to grow back, but that would take the tourists only using coral-friendly sunscreens and not walking on them. Can we do a go fund me?

I've read raw sewage does a lot more damage to the coral then sunscreen.

But don't worry.
Once they clear cut all the trees on Sosua Beach to make way for the Hi-Rise condos, the current sunscreen slathering croc wearing tourists will go away.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

But don't worry.
Once they clear cut all the trees on Sosua Beach to make way for the Hi-Rise condos, the current sunscreen slathering croc wearing tourists will go away.

The Dominican government has a great record at taking care of raw sewage, so I am sure it will be taken care of properly. Maybe they can pipe it over to Rio Sosua as that has no effect on the coral?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

But don't worry.

Re: sewage - it's relative, but the problem with nutrients is that probably not what you think as it has more to do with the missing herbivores which are heavily spearfished. No herbivores means no algae clearance and that combined with nutrients will kill coral.

re: hi-rise - good lord, is that actually in the works? It wouldn't surprise me, but what a tragedy.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If you have to ask about the High Water mark,i would say for years,may be stretching it 2000 to 2006,were considered good years.I liked it 1995 to 2000,before Jimmy Dr and the likes of Cuba Dave.

I have said for many years the downfall of all of these areas began with the internet. That's when everything started going downhill. I know because I lived through it.

Even when there were just internet bulletin boards in the early days, there were board dedicated to sex tourism in the DR (and other countries of course)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Re: sewage - it's relative, but the problem with nutrients is that probably not what you think as it has more to do with the missing herbivores which are heavily spearfished. No herbivores means no algae clearance and that combined with nutrients will kill coral.

re: hi-rise - good lord, is that actually in the works? It wouldn't surprise me, but what a tragedy.
The rumor is that the owners of the property behind Sosua beach were going to build three "towers" of some height as yet unknown.
That would also precipitate a likely removal of the beach shacks/casitas. Time will tell.

Sep 22, 2009
The rumor is that the owners of the property behind Sosua beach were going to build three "towers" of some height as yet unknown.
That would also precipitate a likely removal of the beach shacks/casitas. Time will tell.
I think the removal of the shacks, maybe some landscaping, paver stones and a boardwalk of sorts and some kind of code enforcement for putting up a retail food or whatever may make things very nice. The logistics I imagine will be complicated.

Reactions: windeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.