The future of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
If you have access to facebook look
At Detrás del Rumor, Fabio took a drive through Sosua at 4:30 just before quarantine.
The town looks less than appealing or vibrant for tourism.
A sad statement of current times.
Dominicans are suffering.

As to local situations, I just talk to my family daily and friends all of who live there or in the area.

Well yes, close to curfew everything looks dead but I was in Sosua yesterday earlier in the day and there was life. When he drove by Kings it was already closed. Kings has had more people with the outside seating almost full several times when I have been there lately. I was talking with Ray the owner the other day and told him there were more people than a usual July ,to which he agreed. I think it was the pent up energy that had weekend warriors racing to the airports to come down.
I am not saying Sosua is thriving but in my view having lived in Sosua through the summer seasons, and when considering the Wuhan scare there are more people than I would have expected. I didn't make it to the beach yesterday but there were LOTS of cars parked on both sides of the road near the entrance between Charamincos and Sosua (no busses as there would normally have been though).

Reactions: Big

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
After watching the video I'm wondering how many of those
establishments where Fabio pointed out the patrons for not
wearing muzzles,
will be closed down (again) until this nonsense ends?
The busiest place in Sosua is Kings. Ray has a guy at the door taking everyones temperature and then you have to wear a mask to and from your table/restroom. Once seated you are not required THANK GOD to wear a mask. Kind of hard to eat/drink wearing the damn mask.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Addressing the highlighted portions of your posting in order.....

1. This discussion or thread line is titled, "The Future of Sosua", not "The Future of One Street in Sosua".

2. Gentleman? Perhaps our definitions differ, but please show me one video to be found where "gentleman" are seen on that one street in Sosua.
Identical to the word father, to be a father one must be a male, but not every male can be a father.
To be a gentleman one must be a male, but not every male can be a gentleman.

3. Why the enormous pushback against currently rebuilding around the foundation in order to attract the decent ex-pat factor, and Dominican middle class? I state building around, because the foundation is already set with the natural environment. I do not believe any person is calling for a mini Punta Cana, but a decent seaside village is not far out of the grasp, and yes would attract those with real money.
"Sosua" is a sex trade town! The outskirts, I don't know. With the exceptions of a few restaurants and a store I never cross route 5. Sosua Abajo is a place that is not for me. Los Charamicos ,.lmao , It might be a quaint little place for some but most know it as a place where the chicas from Santiago and Santo Domingo sleep between "dates"

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
the foundation is already set with the natural environment. I do not believe any person is calling for a mini Punta Cana, but a decent seaside village is not far out of the grasp, and yes would attract those with real money.

Most people will never get it. For starters, they don't understand how real estate and what ot watch for. All you have to do is look at one big piece of property that sits on a Caribbean beach in a gentle cove, and realize what's coming. I don't even need to know who owns it and what their desires are. I would still know what's coming.

And they see the chaotic way the gov't goes about chasing girls out of town and they think it will be that way forever. When the time comes, the transition will be swift. Probably 48 hours and it'll be over. Till then, it's a source of amusement for them.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It seems to me that you enjoy talking about 1 street in 1 small town and then lump it in with the 50,000 people in the area, as if they all live there. When somebody suggests the Ritz is in Sosua using your 50,000 people in Sosua narrative, everybody gets upset.
It seems to me that the "weekend warriors", which is a comical expression used here instead of whore mongers, are the ones who focus in on one small street and ignore how big Sosua really is. I am constantly pointing out how much larger Sosua is. As if 50,000 people could be supported by the amount of prostitution in Sosua. Would they not all be dead by now given the current situation of Covid 19 if that were true?

If people don't understand how the government is set up in Provinces, Districts, Cities and Towns, then that is something they could learn about.

The Ritz Carlton Reserve is not even built yet, but the Marriott Ocean Club is in Sosua.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"Sosua" is a sex trade town! The outskirts, I don't know. With the exceptions of a few restaurants and a store I never cross route 5. Sosua Abajo is a place that is not for me. Los Charamicos ,.lmao , It might be a quaint little place for some but most know it as a place where the chicas from Santiago and Santo Domingo sleep between "dates"
There is that focus on one small part of town. slowmo, it is not me doing the focus, I will point out.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
It seems to me that the "weekend warriors", which is a comical expression used here instead of whore mongers, are the ones who focus in on one small street and ignore how big Sosua really is. I am constantly pointing out how much larger Sosua is. As if 50,000 people could be supported by the amount of prostitution in Sosua. Would they not all be dead by now given the current situation of Covid 19 if that were true?

If people don't understand how the government is set up in Provinces, Districts, Cities and Towns, then that is something they could learn about.

The Ritz Carlton Reserve is not even built yet, but the Marriott Ocean Club is in Sosua.
"One small street".... lol.. it's the entire town

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016

It seems to me that "weekend warriors" is racist and hardly comical.

Sep 22, 2009

"Whore mongers" is a comical expression.
Who says weekend warriors? Whore mongers is so much more entertaining and accurate. What ever happened to the term addict. After all there's multiple addictions involved with that crowd!

Reactions: windeguy

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I still say let Sosúa be Sosúa. I enjoy the delightful whackiness even if I don't participate in most of it. It would be fairly easy to control the more unsavory aspects without going off deep end of Protestant anal retentiveness.

Turn PC Into pedestrian party zone and roll with it. Get rid of the high K LED lighting. Definitely get rid of the SUV puta lane. Attract people looking to mingle with the locals and enjoy their vacations.

They way it's going, somebody will eventually pave it with an AI and claim success while locals barely make enough to survive.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I still say let Sosúa be Sosúa.
Turn PC Into pedestrian party zone and roll with it. Get rid of the high K LED lighting. Definitely get rid of the SUV puta lane. Attract people looking to mingle with the locals and enjoy their vacations.

I agree, like in 2005 -2014, when Sosua was the place to party, and where the locals from POP to Sabaneta outnumbered the tourist/expats when it came to weekend street parties. Live Bachata, Merengue, Raggoton, Presidente, Brugal, Booty shaking, and more importantly it was fun for all.

Yes Classico , Latinos, and Rumba were open, but the local mix was never a problem for the town. In fact I can not even remember seeing an Amet around, and the only security was hired by the local businesses.

Now here's an old idea for the future of Sosua..How about two pedestrian music street parties on the weekend per month (local pay periods) after 11pm, with only the bars/restaurants serving drinks for inside/outside consumption. For the diners, every night (6pm-10pm) all PC restaurants provide street table service. No cars/bikes after 6pm for the entire PC from Duarte/Dr Rosen intersection. The other 2 weekends can be arranged with street vendors selling goods, or family nights (bouncing castle, movie screen, face painting, etc) while dining in the street.

Now everyone can enjoy the evenings in Sosua if they wish to support local businesses. Fun for all!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
It seems to me that "weekend warriors" is racist and hardly comical.
I really hope you are joking that "weekend warriors" is racist?? that term is commonly applied to every race. If you were serious and don't understand the context it simply means the folks that go somewhere, ANYWHERE for the weekend. Dam, the word racist is used for everything today. I think the colors of this thread are racist, oh yea and the sky and absolutely the beach sand is racist. Give me a Fu**ing break please. and oh by the way I was in the army so i get the military context.

Status
Not open for further replies.