The Greatest Dominican...!

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Those comments strike me as being odd and unfair

miguel said:
Did she served with the dominican troops that went from the DR to Iraq?.

I am sorry that she lost her life but she lost her life fighting for the US and not the DR.

Very brave indeed but if I am not mistaken, she made no inpact in the DR or for the DR and the OP is talking about dominicans that made a difference IN THE DR or FOR THE DR.

I agree with you 100% suarezn.

wait a second! :eek: ..Felix Sanchez was born and raised in the U.S. along with Alex Rodriguez, and they are proclaimed Dominicans Period!! a symbol of the community...This young lady who was greatful to this great nation, and served.. is more to be glorified, as a Dominican who is not all about the take, take and take somemore, without giving anything back, Dominican's were killed in 911...remember that! ;)
this lady should be a symbol of bravery, she is very much so an excellent Dominicana..who husband is still serving in the military, and Yeah he is Dominican as well...you guys are good posters, but that I took kind of personal...most of all my family are Dominican (asta la Tambora) and we all have served in the military in the U.S. needless to say there are all kinds of nationalities in the American arm forces, but that does not mean they are less, then those who do not serve,... come on guys think about the things you say, before you say them! :cry:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ok!

daddy1 said:
wait a second! :eek: ..Felix Sanchez was born and raised in the U.S. along with Alex Rodriguez, and they are proclaimed Dominicans Period!! a symbol of the community...This young lady who was greatful to this great nation, and served.. is more to be glorified, as a Dominican who is not all about the take, take and take somemore, without giving anything back, Dominican's were killed in 911...remember that! ;)
this lady should be a symbol of bravery, she is very much so an excellent Dominicana..who husband is still serving in the military, and Yeah he is Dominican as well...you guys are good posters, but that I took kind of personal...most of all my family are Dominican (asta la Tambora) and we all have served in the military in the U.S. needless to say there are all kinds of nationalities in the American arm forces, but that does not mean they are less, then those who do not serve,... come on guys think about the things you say, before you say them! :cry:
This is why I love this site, 1,000,000 people can disagree on something but if I just happen to be one of the posters disagreeing, my post is the one that get's quoted. It does not get any better than that!.

Do you, in your dreams, believe that ALL dominicans believe that Rodriguez and Sanchez are true dominicans, if you do you are mistaken. They are accepted by many, many dominicans but there many, many other dominicans that DO NOT.

I am not even going to comment on your 9/11 statement since 2 friends of mine died there. One american-dominican and the other american, so yes, I do remember that!.

You are absolutely right, she should be thought of as a symbol of bravery but not as a dominican that impacted the DR!.

What some of you don't understand is that we are talking about people that made a difference FOR THE DR and not about dominicans that made a difference serving another country!.

Please, just show me how did she helped the Dominican Republic and it's people since that's what this thread is all about, please just tell me how the DR benefitted from her serving in the US Military?.

I have countless of relatives, including 2 brothers and 2 childhood friends who served in the Armed Forces but I will tell you about the one that I, and all my family are the proudest and the one that has truly made a difference:

My cousin *****(Cito de carino), dominican by birth. Enlisted when he was 18 in 1975. Because of the type of work that he does, have been sent to all the "wars" that the US has been in since 1975 (count them, there have been a few). Guess what, 30 years later, HE IS STILL SERVING and has traveled to Irag more than 10 times whenever they need someone with his specialty!.

Now, if something were/was to happen to him, God forbit, he would be remembered as an american who benefitted the US and just happens to be dominican by birth!. A brave american-dominican who served in the US Armed Forces. Now, do you think that many dominicans know of or about him?. Of course not. Why? because he is making a difference helping a country that he loves, the US of A. He does loves the DR but, I guess, not as much since he choose to defend and represent the US.

I also have many relatives that are "dominicanos "H"asta la tambora", but so what?. I was raised here and althought I love the DR and it's people, I am "dominicano-in-training" but "american as delicious apple pie".

Now, and I will say it again, I am very sorry that this young lady died. But IMO, she did not helped the DR and it's people and that's all we are talking about here.

See, suarezn, that's what I get for agreeing with you!. Thanks man, really!!. I will need to be more carefull when agreeing with you again. More will follow. You get scotch free and I get "told to", :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
miguel said:
See, suarezn, that's what I get for agreeing with you!. Thanks man, really!!. I will need to be more carefull when agreeing with you again. More will follow. You get scotch free and I get "told to", :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey man...thanks for having my back. Your post was after mine so you ended up getting the wrath of Daddy1. You can't discuss anything rationally with people who are being driven by emotions...

Of course all of us Dominicans know that Alex Rodriguez is not exactly Dominican "De pura cepa", which is fine with me. Regarding Felix Sanchez I will make an exception here, since he's been representing The DR (even if he's not doing so out of real love for the country), but at least he's putting the name of The DR out there in a good way.

Like you I'm sorry that this young lady died in combat, but to me serving The US does not make you a proud Dominican, but a proud American.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Duarte a hero?

Duarte never fired a single shot against the nation's enemy. As an ideologist of the Dominican nation and spiritual leader of the independence, he is unparalleled, but to see him as an actual hero like someone who puts his life on the line of fire? Hardly. Fearing for his life, he died idle in exile. It is his ideals -not his actions- that mark him as the Padre de la Patria. As far as combat patriots are concerned, my choice would be Luper?n during the Restauraci?n. Go check his biography.

Finding the greatest Dominican is too arbitrary. And there are not a lot of good candidates to truly qualify as GREAT. But people with big contributions to the DR that all can now enjoy? The ones I can think of most people wouldn't even know of, or recognize why they were great.

People like Dr. Canela-L?zaro. He was an early XXth century Cibae?o of mixed Chinese-Spanish and criollo Dominican ancestry. Studied medicine in Paris and while there discovered anatomical parts of the body that had not been described ever before. More importantly, this eccentric physician was also a skilled naturalist and the main geological surveyor of the principal mountain regions of the country. Without his level of scientific rigor and his fervor for conservation we would still be without a national park system of the Cordillera Central. The river heads of the most important hydrologic resources of the country would still be the logging grounds for a few greedy merchants and the republic's ecosystem would today be the same as Haiti's. The names of the parks went to the Bermudez's and Ariza's since the rich always get the credit. But the real work was done by people like Canela.

Call me a nerd if you must, but what that man and his collaborators did are truly valuable, tangible and lasting contributions. He never became a millionaire nor a politician. I don't think that there are even streets named after the man. Shame on us.

- Tordok

Last edited:
May 31, 2005
Mr.Mark said:
Yvette,

I'm thinking about this matter and still don't have strong candidates to mention. But I know there has to be at least one great. Duarte, perhaps?
Don't say that there are no strong candidates to mention. Just say that you can't decide right now. You make it seem as if to you there are none that are worthy of that title.

Jun 5, 2004
sancochojoe said:
Hmm. I always thought it was Christopher Colombus. With that big giant monument in his honor you would think....

Christopher columbus = Discovered America + stole all he could from poor Indians. For me the names Amelia Vega and Felix Sanchez would be the greatests dominicans ever. One gave the Odminican Republic its first ever winner at the miss Universe pagent while the other one made the Dominican anthem be heard loud and proud many miles away from the Dominican Republic by giving the first Gold metal.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
miguel said:
Did she served with the dominican troops that went from the DR to Iraq?.

I am sorry that she lost her life but she lost her life fighting for the US and not the DR.

Very brave indeed but if I am not mistaken, she made no inpact in the DR or for the DR and the OP is talking about dominicans that made a difference IN THE DR or FOR THE DR.

I agree with you 100% suarezn.
Are you guys wearing panties?

you guys are starting to sound like mujeres chismosas....

to me the greatest dominican is that one that teaches his family the importance of familie values, How to be humble and kind as well as experiencing all the hard knocks of life and would still get up and never let his family disintegrate. Maybe that girl was a perfect example of what my opinion for what a great dominican is; because even if she was serving the Russian Army she would still be dominican no matter what.

May 31, 2005
apdomini100max said:
Christopher columbus = Discovered America + stole all he could from poor Indians. For me the names Amelia Vega and Felix Sanchez would be the greatests dominicans ever. One gave the Odminican Republic its first ever winner at the miss Universe pagent while the other one made the Dominican anthem be heard loud and proud many miles away from the Dominican Republic by giving the first Gold metal.
Amelia Vega and Felix Sanchez? Are you serious? Dude, you need to read up some more on the Dominican Republic.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!

Mr_DR said:

to me the greatest dominican is that one that teaches his family the importance of familie values, How to be humble and kind as well as experiencing all the hard knocks of life and would still get up and never let his family disintegrate. Maybe that girl was a perfect example of what my opinion for what a great dominican is; because even if she was serving the Russian Army she would still be dominican no matter what.
While I take my panties out of your mouth, go read the OP's post.

He is talking about people that made a difference in the DR, for the whole DR, not just someone that made a difference in their families.

The problem is that this thread is losing it's "definition in translation" and I am talking about the original question!.

Does anybody knows of Enrique Blanco, Caamano and Jose Marti (not dominican but helped it's people tremendously) and all the great dominicans from yesteryears.

Some of you think that the DR was discovered the moment you were born or the moment you went over there on vacation. It has a history and a rich one at that!!. Grab a darn history book and see all the great dominicans that had helped their country and then come back and see that some of these people mentioned here, Feliz Sanchez, Amelia Vega and others can not even carry those great people's dirty laundry.

Crap, even people like Freddy Veras Goico and Oscar De La Renta (yes, he helps the DR ALOT) are not getting the recognition they deserve!.

Some of you are just clueless. There's a different DR as long as you are not looking a it through the eyes of a tourist or a dominican living abroad that the only thing that he/she knows about the DR is whatever they see when visiting once a year and do not have any desire to grab a book and learn about your country.

Ps: since when and on who's book is having a difference in opinion being "mujeres chismosas"?. Btw, don't knock it since there are many "hombres chismosos" out there and I am pretty sure that you know a few, lol.

suarezn, what is your panties' size?. Bigger than mine?. LOL. You are right about some people "emotions".

Last edited:

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
miguel said:
While I take my panties out of your mouth, go read the OP's post.
".
Miguel is that you foreplay?.....LOL

I was just trying to imply that our opinion for who the greatest dominican is will always be different because the person that I may consider the rgeatest to you that person could be the worst......

To me the greatest could be El Gran General Trujillo and I am sure many
of you may consider him the worst.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
sancochojoe said:
Hmm. I always thought it was Christopher Colombus. With that big giant monument in his honor you would think....
Columbus?

The guy lived and died a good 300 years before the Dominican Republic came into existence!

How on earth can a person be considered a hero of the DR when that person lived 300 years before the DR came into reality?

Columbus was a great man, but not a great Dominican because in his time Dominicans were monks! ;)

And no, he did not stole anything from the Tainos. Tainos never understood or used the notion of private property in their day to day living. This brings the ultimate question: if there is no private property in the Taino world how on earth can there be theft?

The Tainos even believed that the land belonged to all humans for goodness sake! How on earth can anyone steal anything that has no ownership? How can anyone steal something that is not private property?

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Mr_DR said:

to me the greatest dominican is that one that teaches his family the importance of familie values, How to be humble and kind as well as experiencing all the hard knocks of life and would still get up and never let his family disintegrate.

Mr. DR,

I also think that is the GREATEST person in ANY nation; one who starts at the grass roots...FAMILY! (Greatest Dominican... was the question though).
Thanks for the post,

Yvette

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Por fin!!

yvette said:
Mr_DR said:

to me the greatest dominican is that one that teaches his family the importance of familie values, How to be humble and kind as well as experiencing all the hard knocks of life and would still get up and never let his family disintegrate.

Mr. DR,

I also think that is the GREATEST person in ANY nation; one who starts at the grass roots...FAMILY! (Greatest Dominican... was the question though).
Thanks for the post,

Yvette
Thank you Yvette. Maybe now they will stick to the topic.

Ps: I just hope that I can get my panties back, lol.

Last edited:

hugh

Apr 24, 2005
Mirador said:
My great great grandfather (tatarabuelo), Jos? Leg?r, who managed, with a handful of confederates, and an old rusty Spanish canon, to keep the Haitian army at bay, at the place called El Barro, across the Jura river, in the historical epic known as the 'Battle of March 19th' which brought forth the 'Restoration' of the Dominican Republic in 1844.

Excuse my ignorance, but do you mean U.S. Confederates? If yes, do you happen to know any of their surnames?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
hugh said:
Excuse my ignorance, but do you mean U.S. Confederates? If yes, do you happen to know any of their surnames?

Excuse mine! I was worried there for a moment, I had used an equivocal word, but I checked and found the following

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/confederate

confederate
A noun
1 accomplice, confederate
a person who joins with another in carrying out some plan (especially an unethical or illegal plan)

hugh

Apr 24, 2005
Mirador said:
Excuse mine! I was worried there for a moment, I had used an equivocal word, but I checked and found the following

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/confederate

confederate
A noun
1 accomplice, confederate
a person who joins with another in carrying out some plan (especially an unethical or illegal plan)

OK, I suspected that (usage of the lower case 'c' and all), but I couldn't help asking!

digitwizard

Jul 15, 2005
yvette said:
Who do you believe is the greatest Dominican person; male or female, past or present, in the history of the Dominican Republic?

Yvette
No doubt the greatest Dominican of all times is swwee t , beautiful , miss universe 2003 amelia vega

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
yvette said:
Who do you believe is the greatest Dominican person; male or female, past or present, in the history of the Dominican Republic?

Yvette
i think the great greatest dominican has not either been born yet or is one of those little children that we see staring at us as we pass to visit this beautiful
island...they are the future and the one of them will hopefully grow up and turn this country around.