The Growth And Sprawl Of Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i love santiago. it's the best city in DR. the growth is for the best, i think. there is a certain failure, however, in terms of infrastructure planning (see santiago bypass, that should have been made years ago). of course because it is the second biggest city in DR there is heavy traffic, lots of crime and other issues that come with large urbanization.

interesting point by NALs regarding the loyalty of businessmen to their communities. i have seen numerous examples of it as well. dominicans tend to invest back into the area they come from. and large family run/owned companies are behind many projects, bigger and small. here in POP old people home is entirely sponsored by private entities, from bills to food, from medicine to workers. it is the same in other areas of the country: orphanages, scholarships, comedores economicos, all receive funds from local businessmen.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Sorry NALs but what am I missing here?

Is this something to do with the urban sprawl of Santiago?

Estoy un poco lost.....

Lociento....
Considering that Santiago is growing in the direction of Moca, that Moca is within the economic area of influence of Santiago, and can even be said to be a suburb of Santiago; yes it does. :)

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
i love santiago. it's the best city in DR. the growth is for the best, i think. there is a certain failure, however, in terms of infrastructure planning (see santiago bypass, that should have been made years ago). of course because it is the second biggest city in DR there is heavy traffic, lots of crime and other issues that come with large urbanization.

That wasn't the fault of the city or of its inhabitants, 12 years of Leonel and 4 of Hipolito totally ignored the whole project. After the current government announced the SD bypass, it didn't have a choice but to finally answer the plea of Santiagueros. The bypass is tremendously important for the city, but what many fail to see that it won't fix the traffic problem of the city, however it is one important step in the right direction.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
This is a cool panoramic video of the city! It shows the contrasts in the city, on one side you have a bunch of barrios and dominating the skyline on the other you have tall buildings that are now becoming popular in most upper-middle class sectors.

[video=youtube;g9-ZuG20Biw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9-ZuG20Biw[/video]

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
@Nals.. did they close the "Zoo"?
I recall hubby and kids saying they walked in there early in September.
Hubby said it was more like a nature walk than an actual zoo.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
@Nals.. did they close the "Zoo"?
I recall hubby and kids saying they walked in there early in September.
Hubby said it was more like a nature walk than an actual zoo.
Some people complaint in SD about the condition of the animals and the order was to close the place and move the animals somewhere else.

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
growth is good..but gotta have green spaces around the city like more parks,green building like the agora mall,the old airport their talking about turning that into a park

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The plan to turn the old airport into a park (Mirador del Sur type) has been around for years. Right now they are planning to develop a botanical garden on the northern outskirt of the city.