The high cost of politics; PRD performance in 2024 points to apparent wasteful spending of public funds

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-en-campaña-Hoy-1024x635.png

Media reports are questioning why taxpayers have to pay for the business of politics. Perhaps the most extreme case this 2024 is that of the yield per taxpayer dollars to the performance of the Dominican Revolutionary Party (PRD) under former Minister of Foreign Relations and former Minister of Public Works, Miguel Vargas Maldonado.

The Dominican Revolutionary Party (PRD) received RD$1 billion in funding for the electoral year (2024). The president and presidential candidate of that party, received 19,790 votes in votes, or 0.45%. The PRD only won one seat in the Chamber of Deputies, that of Jose Alberto Jimenez in Sanchez Ramirez who received the seat with 9,709 votes.

The party, as the electoral law works, was assigned a Parlacen deputy, Silvia Garcia Polanco and a National Deputy, Elias Wessin Chavez as a result of the vote of the 2024 election.

An incumbent PRD...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If there ever was a reason to rein in public money for elections.... this is it. Maybe Miguel can buy another villa in Casa de Campo.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
There are way too many botellas. I've heard of people getting "paid" $10 -$35 thousand, who don't even need to show up at work. The biggest one I heard about is $60,000.
Also, they appoint people with no training. Instead of appointing someone for a position who has certain qualifications, they hire anyone and spend on training them.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There are way too many botellas. I've heard of people getting "paid" $10 -$35 thousand, who don't even need to show up at work. The biggest one I heard about is $60,000.
Also, they appoint people with no training. Instead of appointing someone for a position who has certain qualifications, they hire anyone and spend on training them.
In every govt. office I've ever been in, they have always had the untouchables- the core group of persons who always get the job done. Those are the ones who never get fired. Every one else comes and goes with elections.

Sometimes they train the new folks, but not very often.

Many of the botellas don't even show up, they get their monthly pay deposited.

• Sad
Reactions: AlterEgo