The mother of all storms......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I could not resist the question even that has nothing to do with storm. Where can you buy espressobeans for your machine?????.

You can buy roasted beans in any Dominican supermarket - several brands, such as: Santo Domingo, Induban, Monte Alto. We bring back a lot when we return to NJ. We have a Saeco machine home, I'd be afraid to bring one to DR, if it got fried from a power surge I'd sit on the floor and cry.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Speaking of storms, who was here for Georges? (I won't even mention David)

I've been in some pretty heavy rain in my day, but nothing like when Georges came through.

That is the closest I have come to "coming down in buckets" I've ever seen.

We had just left when David hit, our son was born that year, first grandson, so we flew down for the grandparents to meet him - when we came back David, nothing prepared me for what I saw. Bare beaches, palm/coconut trees gone, roofless homes, debris and more debris. I can't even imagine going through a storm like that in the shacks near us.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The D.R. is much better prepared for this kind of storm than the U.S. Mainland...Katrina trashed the entire Gulf Coast and almost destroyed the U.S. economy.

no, it is not. it's that whatever gets destroyed here has little value. it's not expensive posh seaside houses, it's zinc and wood shacks. it's not giant shops filled with stock, it's rickety colmados filled with long expired dusty goods. yeah, it's all those people have but the relative value is not that great.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Here we go again........

Raining a LOT for nearly an hour, but not too much wind.
Thunder and lightning non stop........
2 of them scared me bad !!!!!!!! The house shook !!!!

I am thinking of going outside and lying flat on the ground !!!!!:laugh:
But no, cant chicken havent been fed and dogs are going mad......

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Here we go again........

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Here we go again........

hahahahaha

[video=youtube;F-PHCaf9JnE]x[/video]

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The D.R. is much better prepared for this kind of storm than the U.S. Mainland...Katrina trashed the entire Gulf Coast and almost destroyed the U.S. economy.

You must not have been here for George!!!! electric was still off in areas 6mo after george. bridges out, towns cut off, platino's gone, rice gone. Will say that buildings here in Santo Domingo were better off, except for some on the hotels on the Malecon, that had entire floors with the windows blown out, and ceiling leaks all the way down to the lobby's