The Mystery 10% Tip

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
In our case, many times we have ONLY one girl doubling as both kitchen help and the waitress/server. Then she gets the ENTIRE tip. When there is a helper in the kitchen the tip is shared. Same with the maids. When one has a day off and she has been the primary maid to clean a guests accommodation, if the guest checks out and leaves a tip, it is HELD for the girl that did the cleaning and/or shared with another maid proportionate to the amount of cleaning the other did. We try to be VERY fair with our help and maybe that's why they're standing in line to go to work for us. And when someone who has absolutely NO knowledge of our operation impunes our reputation and implies that we steal from our staff; well I'm sure you can understand why we take offense and such scurrilous remarks. Merry Christmas to you too.

Edited to add: I see my little square has now changed to red. Is that anything like the "Red Badge of Courage,"...that is the courage to speak out against an unjust and uninformed accuser without any way of facing him (or her).

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In our case, many times we have ONLY one girl doubling as both kitchen help and the waitress/server. Then she gets the ENTIRE tip. When there is a helper in the kitchen the tip is shared. Same with the maids. When one has a day off and she has been the primary maid to clean a guests accommodation, if the guest checks out and leaves a tip, it is HELD for the girl that did the cleaning and/or shared with another maid proportionate to the amount of cleaning the other did. We try to be VERY fair with our help and maybe that's why they're standing in line to go to work for us. And when someone who has absolutely NO knowledge of our operation impunes our reputation and implies that we steal from our staff; well I'm sure you can understand why we take offense and such scurrilous remarks. Merry Christmas to you too.
I didn't catch the part about someone impuning your biz, and I do understand that you would want to defend your reputation, but I would like to repeat that the waitress keeping the 10% is illegal, as it is to be distributed amongst all the employees in an equal fashion, including the maids.
That is to say that if the 10% amounted to 100 pesos on a given bill and you had a total of 4 employees, present or not at that moment, it is to be shared amongst them, 25 pesos apiece.
On salary day, the total amount from the 10% is calculated and divided equally amongst all the employees.
The waitress is not allowed to keep it all for herself and would be stealing from the others if she did so.

PS: The 10% is not a tip.
Tips can be shared as you or the employees wish, but not the 10%.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
when someone who has absolutely NO knowledge of our operation impunes our reputation and implies that we steal from our staff; well I'm sure you can understand why we take offense and such scurrilous remarks. Merry Christmas to you too.

We wouldn't have known unless you had told us.
What you see in your UserCP is for your eyes only.

You are never going to stop people talking or gossiping about your business.
The worst defense on a message board is to get mad, all you do is validate their BS and give them what they wanted. Plus it does nothing for your business in the eyes of the people that don't know you.

Your best defense is to be calm, positive, explain the truth/facts and use it as an opportunity to promote your business.

I get "impuned" on a regular basis, it's water of my shiny armor these days :)