The Residency Saga Continues ....

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Latest update .....

Well it's been quite a few months now and things have suddenly moved on just a little. Last week I was informed by my lawyer that she needed another set of side and front passport photos. Oh! and 2030 pesos.

If you have followed the thread then you know that my residency card was confiscated and declared a fake and yet the 2030 pesos is apparently to cover another number of months for my late application!

In a couple of weeks it will be the anniversary of the expiry of my residency. The question now is whether or not I will:

a) Ever get a card
b) Have to go to Santo Domingo to collect it

One thing I do know is that with an overseas trip coming up in a few weeks it's going to be hard to get out without paying fortunes to the guys at immigration....

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I'm curious you're sitting around waiting for your lawyer. i thought you knew how things work here.

here's what happened: your lawyer has ripped you off somehow, either intentionally or through incompetence and it will be difficult to sort it out. you should get all the paperwork from the lawyer and go sort this out yourself in santo domingo. its not very hard to deal with the residencia people; i did my conversion from a temporada to permanente myself and could easily do the temporada as well, you just need a guarantor.

and you should name the lawyer here so other people know what happened and can stay away from her.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Not yet ....

There's no point in naming the lawyer just yet, I believe that she still has my best interests at heart. I have a friend who wanted to start the residency process herself and she spent a lot of time and effort tracking down a lawyer that came recommended by more people than any other.

We both had to laugh when my friend concluded that THE best lawyer is actually the one that I am using!

The lesson to take from this is that occassionally things do go wrong in this country, and because the "system" seems more than ever to be full of people who's job it is just to tick boxes, once you fall out of the sausage machine for whatever reason, it becomes almost impossible to get back in.

The Dominican Republic has taught me a lot. One of those lessons has been in having plenty of patience. :rolleyes:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm curious you're sitting around waiting for your lawyer. i thought you knew how things work here.

And there are some lawyers who simply have other priorities, like running a political campaign, which takes up all their...........energies.

Just a 'for example', the Mayor in this thread used to do a lot of residencies, but I would guess that being Mayor and running for Diputada must be fairly time consuming.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/97096-local-politics-montellano.html