the rich must pay more....bull$h!t

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
billyidol, high time you learn to use the quote button. At the bottom of each post, is a button saying 'quote'. If you want to quote someone else's words, go to the post that you want to quote from, and click on this button. A new post, with all of the words in quotes will appear. Delete what you do not need between the quote tags. Don't delete the quote tags at the beginning and end.

Please try it as I'm getting dizzy, not knowing who said what....

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
jackieboo said:
Now before all of you Catholics come down on me I want you to know that I respect everyone' personal belief system.

I'm coming to the DR, as I imagine many who post here did, to escape a lot of government control. I feel like I have some control over my life when I'm in the DR and here in the U.S. I don?t don't feel that control. Not a day goes by that I?m not thankful for what life has thrown my way. As well, not a day goes by that I don?t think of the poor of the world.

We all can?t be Mother Teresa that?s what made her so special.

I plan on doing what I can and when I can to contribute to the health of my newly adopted country. I think I can make more a difference in the DR than I could ever do here in the States. I?ll just have to wait and see. Very exciting times from this poster.

Now let me know have it?? I can take it :)
Yes--spoken like a true Born Again but since we really don't talk religion on this site and since it would be a little off topic let me limit my comments to the thread.
1) I am seriously interested in how you get control over your life in the DR. Too much control of the US governement? What control do you think you will have in a country that's not yours? What say are you going to have? How are you going to vote and be proactive?
2) What are your plans for making"more a difference in the DR than I could ver..." What differences did you make in the U.S.? Be specific in all of your answers please as the poor are hungry EVERYDAY and it's tough eating that blue sky pie.
Best of luck to you in your move-answers or no answers.

JOHN

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Rick Snyder said:
After reading the responses on this thread I have determined that a lot of you seem to have a personal axe to grind and it’s all being done at the expense of the OP.
Rick
Is Billy's point to illustrate how ridiculous and idiotic some of his friends and co-workers are or did he actually expect some here to agree with them?

Anyways, some of the comments do seem out of line given the original post in and of itself.

Apparently Billy has rubbed some people the wrong way previously.

Personally, I just laugh at people who seem to toot their own horns and blow their loads over themselves.
They could make their points without the extra hoopla and often come across and irritating braggarts.:tired:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Rick Snyder said:
After reading the responses on this thread I have determined that a lot of you seem to have a personal axe to grind and it’s all being done at the expense of the OP.

Because this is a public forum and a number of you are throwing the $hit around then I as a reader am going to try to show you that you are just as guilty as the person you are trying to blame.

Rick

No personal axe to grind here, Rick. The OP's attention-seeking tactics are borderline disturbing at this point, so rather than give him more attention, I'll bow out now. Perhaps if you've read his other posts, you'll catch on to what myself and others who have voiced their rightful opinion have seen. Perhaps not, but that's your personal choice, just like it's my personal choice to voice what I've seen in this poster and ignore his future rubbish.

Malibook and Chris said it much better than I managed to in my original posts. Call it my kneejerk reaction to the OP's long list of self-appreciating posts.

PS
Just how do you think "these many conversations" came up "between he and his friends and co-workers"?
YAWN

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!

trina said:
The OP's attention-seeking tactics are borderline disturbing at this point, so rather than give him more attention, I'll bow out now. Perhaps if you've read his other posts, you'll catch on to what myself and others who have voiced their rightful opinion have seen. Perhaps not, but that's your personal choice, just like it's my personal choice to voice what I've seen in this poster and ignore his future rubbish.

Just how do you think "these many conversations" came up "between he and his friends and co-workers"?
YAWN
NEED I SAY MORE?.

Sorry, I should have not called him a prick or axx. Well, at least I could had been more diplomatic about it. I just get sick and tired of people claiming, every single chance they get, that "it not my fault that I am building a nice house here or there, is it my fault that I worked hard, iis it my fault that I have wealth, blah blah, blah".

It amazes me how often PEOPLE forget that OPINIONS are like axx-holes- EVERYBODY has one!.

YAWNNNNNN.

Btw, Mr OP, it's Mr. MIGSTER to you!.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
johne said:
Yes--spoken like a true Born Again but since we really don't talk religion on this site and since it would be a little off topic let me limit my comments to the thread.
1) I am seriously interested in how you get control over your life in the DR. Too much control of the US governement? What control do you think you will have in a country that's not yours? What say are you going to have? How are you going to vote and be proactive?
I was wondering the exact samething!

johne said:
2) What are your plans for making"more a difference in the DR than I could ver..." What differences did you make in the U.S.? Be specific in all of your answers please as the poor are hungry EVERYDAY and it's tough eating that blue sky pie.

JOHN

I hope "making a difference" does not equates to "me feeling better about myself". Sometimes it's hard to desipher those who help the poor for the sake of helping them and those who help the poor to make themselves feel better. They always say "I felt so good helping so and so", "it feels good to do good", "it's the best feeling in the world to know you made a difference", etc.

Such statements are very revealing of peoples motives -- perhaps self-centered on their own feelings. I wonder what would they do if helping others had nothing in return (ie. no "good" feeling)? Would they still do it?

Of course, given the nature of people, we may never know the real answer to that question. But, they do often say "it feels good to help people in need". I wonder who they are referring to when they say "feels good".... the helper or the one being helped? Whose feeling is more important in that situation? If the helper looses his/her "good feeling" when helping others will that person continue to help?

Just wondering.

-NALs

Last edited:

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Hey Johne:

You know I was trying to be as PC as possible when discussing religion. I for one am a Born Again.....atheist that during my time on the planet have grown to detest organized religion in all forms.

I obviously have not stated my point clearly.

The bulk of the poverty in the DR can be attributed to the 500 years of Catholic Church control over the people. It's not a new idea; Christianity has the formula down pat. Keep the people afraid. Because when they're afraid you have control. And control means power.

Just look at America. In a short while the country has gone to the dogs. Why, because we have a religious zealot in power that uses the same tactics learned from Christianity. Keep them afraid and then you have the power to control them.

Let me answer Johne' questions:
1) I don't think I said anything about getting control. I said I 'feel' like I have some control. Example would be if I wanted to open a bar, I'd just open a bar. No hoops to jump through, no paper work. Maybe a few palms to grease but that would be about it.

What 'say' am I going to have? Politically none at first. After I get permanent residency then I'll be eligible to vote.

You can be pro-active without casting votes. Ever heard of a lobbyist?

2) People can make a difference every day of their lives. They could open a door for someone or just smile at a grumpy old man on the street. Your actions are cause and affect on more than you can possibly imagine. How can I make a difference in the DR? You know, I'm not really sure at this moment. It may be as little as delivering food to needy families or it may be as big as starting a business and offering the employee' a real living wage that work for me. You never know, but I'll sure keep you informed.

NALS: I do agree that there are many people out there that give to make themselves feel good. You know I'm not so sure why that's such a bad thing. Nature gave us these emotions for a reason and if people didn't get satisfaction out of something they are doing then perhaps they wouldn't do it. I think what you're talking about is a braggart. Someone that does very little and then wants validation from others for what they have done. That my friend is called a very sad excuse for a human.

johne said:

JOHN

G

gary short

Chris go party forget this thread let it run it's course. What's the worst that could happen........relax.......:devious: :devious: :devious:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Its a case of

Chris said:
Oh man, this thread is such a mess. Won't you all now co-operate and go and start new threads for new topics and leave me to go and party this weekend?
I dont know where we began, going, went, whew--WTF?
JOHN

I really wanted to tackale post #47 but at this hour dont think I can handle it. In fact at any hour I'm not quite sure its worth it. The post has so many holes in it I dont know where to begin.
Maybe I'll just let the screaming liberal open his friggen bar and find out what he is going to have to do in the wild wild west. (so he thinks) Open an electric account-no joke.
Get telephone service and contract-no joke. Register business-no joke
Watch the cash register-no joke etc, etc,.
Wow to tired for this-good night all-taking my demons to bed with me.

JOHN

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
gary short said:
What's the worst that could happen........relax.......:devious: :devious: :devious:
.. death treats, slander, blasphemy, p'ssed off advertisers, religion, sex, England could even lose... :ermm:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good night Johne!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Chris said:
Oh man, this thread is such a mess. Won't you all now co-operate and go and start new threads for new topics and leave me to go and party this weekend?

Where could this thread go next......

I know!

Does anybody know Sankie Sosa from Rio Mofongo?

oops wrong forum

Anna! Coming over to Sankie 101!

:laugh:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I will admit it's nice to see an end to name calling and the attempt to belittle another person in public but the disillusioned attempt to bring religion into the conversation is not permitted. To blame said organization for the condition of mankind in any aspect of life is so argumentative and the main reason that we don't discuss it on this board. Therefore please indulge us with no more talk of religion.

Rick

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Now that's a Moderator

Rick Snyder said:
I will admit it's nice to see an end to name calling and the attempt to belittle another person in public but the disillusioned attempt to bring religion into the conversation is not permitted. To blame said organization for the condition of mankind in any aspect of life is so argumentative and the main reason that we don't discuss it on this board. Therefore please indulge us with no more talk of religion.

Rick

Thank you Rick for the sensitive way you handled this. This was a pot brewing ready for an explosion.

JOHN

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
My apologies

Yes thank you Rick for the warning. As you know I'm fairly new to the posting community and apologize for my inappropriate post.

Have fun this weekend!