the right time to buy???

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
suarezn said:
Robert: I have a design for a house I plan to build in Cotui. It is about 5000 square feet. The budget we came up with at current prices is about 5 million pesos. We're talking first rate materials here and it includes all labor and fees. I bet you I could find a nice beachfront lot for a lot less than 5 million pesos in many areas in the DR (Nagua, Samana, Cabrera, probably even in Puerto Plata). The problem is a lot of people pay an outrageous premium, because they want to live in a gated community.
If you don't need beachfront, then you can really find some nice houses with that kind of budget in places like Santo Domingo, Santiago, La Romana, etc...

Quaqualita: Consider that those prices you found are internet prices and are way overpriced. If you negotiate face to face you can get them a lot lower.

Just look at the remax site and see what you can get for about 8 million pesos. Tons of nice houses in very nice areas...Like I said a bunch of suckers paying inflated prices and with that driving up the price of real state...

My opinion.
You don't know shit either. Sorry brother but let me sell you a freakin clue!

Escott

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: Comment for CamdenTom...

Scandall said:

I agree with everything except for the comment that Americans are discovering the DR and making moves. People have been saying that for 30 years. Guess what? They ain't coming. (not in droves.....but perhaps the trickle will continue)

Americans want English speaking vacation locations and I dare say.......a bit cleaner and safer. BEFORE everyone starts in on the cleanliness and safety issue please hear me: I live here and think it is as safe as any American location(mas o menos) but maybe not as clean. I'm a believer in the DR and its potential but perception is reality and Americans don't want to have to be "sold" on their destination. There are plenty of islands and beautiful beaches elsewhere.

My two cents from under the radar,

Scandall

Americans are making moves in real estate on the North Coast and in a big way. Ask any realtor and they will tell you the same. After having made 10-15 visits North in the last few months, I can see it happening myself.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
From someone that burnt too much gas looking for a new home.

No. 8 millions pesos TODAY will not get you very far. In fact, it is barely enough to get you a small pent-house. You could get really lucky and find somebody that due to either insanity, ignorance or desperation sells way under market price. That happens. I know.

The internet is not a good place to look for real state or buying cars. Lazy as I am, I tried that. It didn't work. The prices in those sites are really outdated. Actually it seems as if prices change by the hour. Furthermore, most of these properties would either be already sold or out of the market. The pictures they show (if you are lucky and there's actually one) do not show much.

So... Sad as it is, 8 million pesos do get you a very good appartment, but nothing high-end. A big house? Not even in Los Prados.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Escott said:
You don't know shit either. Sorry brother but let me sell you a freakin clue!

Escott

OK. I will leave it at that. Difference of opinion I guess. Just so you guys know I'm not a gringo who has only seen certain gated communities in the DR. I was just in the DR for a month looking for a house to buy, so I know what prices are like. YES they are going up daily, but so is the USD. I know what I could buy for 200k and it's a hell of a lot more than a 2 bedroom apartment. Now I couldn't comment on Puerto Plata, but I wouldn't pay a premium to live in an area that's clearly in decline...
I guess if you find a bigger sucker to sell it to, then it is good business. It reminds me of the stock market around 1999-2000.
One is born everyday...

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Scandall, I'm not making this up as I go along....

Scandall said:
your words:

It's still a buyers market, but.........
it's starting to change. My wife and I purchased a couple properties in Cabarete and recently made an offer on another one. We feel there is a real opportunity here. Americans are just discovering this area and seem to be moving quickly to buy while the buying is good. Good luck in your search, and also....MOVE CAUTIOUSLY. there are some excellent real estate people in the Sosua/Cabarete area. There are also some who will skin you alive.

My words:

I agree with everything except for the comment that Americans are discovering the DR and making moves. People have been saying that for 30 years. Guess what? They ain't coming. (not in droves.....but perhaps the trickle will continue)

Americans want English speaking vacation locations and I dare say.......a bit cleaner and safer. BEFORE everyone starts in on the cleanliness and safety issue please hear me: I live here and think it is as safe as any American location(mas o menos) but maybe not as clean. I'm a believer in the DR and its potential but perception is reality and Americans don't want to have to be "sold" on their destination. There are plenty of islands and beautiful beaches elsewhere.

My two cents from under the radar,

Scandall

I've been a real estate broker for 28 years. I've seen many market trends going both directions. Rarely have I seen a market place make such a dramatic shift. Talk to any broker on the north coast. Two years ago, they were all sitting on their hands. For the past year and a half they don't have time to sit down at all. They will also tell you that almost all the buyers that have converged on this market are Americans. Quote me on this "it's for real"

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
suarezn said:
OK. I will leave it at that. Difference of opinion I guess. Just so you guys know I'm not a gringo who has only seen certain gated communities in the DR. I was just in the DR for a month looking for a house to buy, so I know what prices are like. YES they are going up daily, but so is the USD. I know what I could buy for 200k and it's a hell of a lot more than a 2 bedroom apartment. Now I couldn't comment on Puerto Plata, but I wouldn't pay a premium to live in an area that's clearly in decline...
I guess if you find a bigger sucker to sell it to, then it is good business. It reminds me of the stock market around 1999-2000.
One is born everyday...
I am just a bottom fisher. I am not into 200k homes. I will however buy what you describe if it is in or between Sosua and Cabarete and give you another 10k. Alanindr says he will do the same. He isn't quite the bottom fisher I am and has been looking for what you have described on the North Coast for about 6 months and cant find it.

If I told you some of the crap and the prices I have seen you would drop your tongue to your toes. Next to the condo we live in in Sosua is a run down house on about 800 meters tops that the people are asking 500k for. No Ocean view but across the street from the ocean. I would tear the house down. I asked the woman if it had an oil well under it for Gawds sake.

We will buy these because WE will make a bunch of bucks on it because it isn't available. BIG ASS BEACHFRONT HOME FOR 200K.

Nothing personal but some of us know the market and you don't seem to. Unless you are talking some remote place by the Haitian border and I will submit you are the king of R.E. there:)

Scott

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What makes me laugh is that only a few people in this thread actually have any experience of buying real estate on the North Coast or in the DR. Some have never or very rarely been on the North Coast.

As Grandma used to say? ?If you don?t live it, don?t talk about it?.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Guys,

Could you please go back and read my statements and NOT take them out of context. I never said I know of a beachfront house in Puerto Plata that costs less than 200k. I said I could build a big house for that money. I stand by my statement...you're talking with someone who's in the process of building such a house...(I may start a blog here about this project...)
It's going to cost me about 5 million pesos or about 95,000 USD at current rate. It may end up costing me 8 million pesos by the time is finished, but it will still be around the same in USD's. I will bet anyone here I can find a beachfront lot for less than 100k USD in many areas in the DR.
BTW the lot I bought in Cotui, cost me 5k USD. It is a little bit over 1000 m2, whatever that is in square feet.
My best friend is building a similar house in Azua. He started about a year ago when things were a lot cheaper. He's spent less than 1 million pesos and here's how advanced it is.
House Construction - Azua
It will be four bedrooms plus a master with Jacuzzi tub, dressing area, etc...
Mine will actually be bigger as I added a large music room in the back and a good size balcony on the back off the master bedroom.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
to escott & co

jeeze, guys, don't get so offended here.
Yes, I did buy real estate on the North Coast: A SMALL house on a SMALL lot, very close to the beach (not BEACHFRONT), and for about a 10th of the price we are talking here.
And yes, my house doesn't have all kind of luxury, which is fine for me, but most of you guys probably can't live without.
And yes, I bought my house here almost 2 decades ago, when many of you guys probably never have heard about Dominican Republic, some of you maybe would have even trouble to find it on a map. So I know, that the prices have gone up since, but you still can find very nice house and condos for a good price.
And we are talking not about my SMALL house anyway.

And yes, I did work here for several real estate agencies, so I know the value of BIG ASS BEACHFRONT HOMES and nice condos, like I know how much they cost near the area where I live, which is (even nowadays) less than 200K and which is by the way not in a swamp.

And yes, everybody has his preferences. Some people prefer to live in a condo instead to own a house. Some people love to spend high monthly maintainance fees and love to follow rules so your neighbour doesn't get disturbed, than living a little bit outside in your own house, where you can basically have all the freedom and can do whatever you want.

I'm not saying, that a condo for 300K is bad - it just can't be bad. But what kind of a super condo must this be, when there are plenty of other condos and houses available for much less. Do they come with special offers like "free power for 2 years" or so?

quaqualita

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Yeah Suarzen, there's one born every minute but there are sixty seconds in one minute and thousands are born every minute. What? Do suckers just gravitate down there? Apparently so.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Re: to escott & co

quaqualita said:
jeeze, guys, don't get so offended here.
Yes, I did buy real estate on the North Coast: A SMALL house on a SMALL lot, very close to the beach (not BEACHFRONT), and for about a 10th of the price we are talking here.
And yes, my house doesn't have all kind of luxury, which is fine for me, but most of you guys probably can't live without.
And yes, I bought my house here almost 2 decades ago, when many of you guys probably never have heard about Dominican Republic, some of you maybe would have even trouble to find it on a map. So I know, that the prices have gone up since, but you still can find very nice house and condos for a good price.
And we are talking not about my SMALL house anyway.
We weren't talking about a small Dominican home in Cabarete. We were talking about a "Big Ass NEW Construction on the Beach". We also weren't talking about 2 decades ago either. For your information my first trip to the DR was in 71. Probably before you were able to point it out on a map, huh?

My question is can you find me a "BIG ASS HOME ON THE BEACH FOR 200K"? Or can you find me a 150 M2 Condo on the water in Sosua or Cabarete in a nice location walking distance to the main beach for a reasonable price? I have a ten thousand dollar bill for you if you can on the home and a 5k bill for you on the condo.

Lets see what you have to offer other than hyperbole.

Originally posted by quaqualita And yes, I did work here for several real estate agencies, so I know the value of BIG ASS BEACHFRONT HOMES and nice condos, like I know how much they cost near the area where I live, which is (even nowadays) less than 200K and which is by the way not in a swamp.

And yes, everybody has his preferences. Some people prefer to live in a condo instead to own a house. Some people love to spend high monthly maintainance fees and love to follow rules so your neighbour doesn't get disturbed, than living a little bit outside in your own house, where you can basically have all the freedom and can do whatever you want.

I'm not saying, that a condo for 300K is bad - it just can't be bad. But what kind of a super condo must this be, when there are plenty of other condos and houses available for much less. Do they come with special offers like "free power for 2 years" or so?

quaqualita
Ok, time to put up. I made you the offer which is made with sincerity. Maybe you can't use the 10k or 5k? Oh by the way, we were talking about a 200k Condo not 300k condo. If your judgement on condo living was part of the equation I hadnt noticed it.

Show me what you are talking about and "YOU" don't even need to give me 30days of electric to go with the way better deal than the 200k we were discussing. That 200k was asking price which would be slightly negotiable in my opinion so you should be able to come up with something "MUCH" better for you to waste the bandwidth.

Scott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
suarezn said:
Guys,

Could you please go back and read my statements and NOT take them out of context. I never said I know of a beachfront house in Puerto Plata that costs less than 200k. I said I could build a big house for that money. I stand by my statement...you're talking with someone who's in the process of building such a house...(I may start a blog here about this project...)
It's going to cost me about 5 million pesos or about 95,000 USD at current rate. It may end up costing me 8 million pesos by the time is finished, but it will still be around the same in USD's. I will bet anyone here I can find a beachfront lot for less than 100k USD in many areas in the DR.
BTW the lot I bought in Cotui, cost me 5k USD. It is a little bit over 1000 m2, whatever that is in square feet.
My best friend is building a similar house in Azua. He started about a year ago when things were a lot cheaper. He's spent less than 1 million pesos and here's how advanced it is.
House Construction - Azua
It will be four bedrooms plus a master with Jacuzzi tub, dressing area, etc...
Mine will actually be bigger as I added a large music room in the back and a good size balcony on the back off the master bedroom.
Maybe we have a problem with "BIG ASS HOME ON THE BEACH". My thought about that is a 450-600 M2 home. You may be thinking about a home half the size and calling that BIG ASSed. I am not familiar with Cotui nor am I familia with Azua. I am familiar with the North Coast.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yeah, I think we do have a communication problem here, because as I mentioned before my house will be about 500 m2, isn't that the range that was mentioned or am I not reading this right? I showed you the pics of my friends house. His is about 350 m2, mine will be larger.

I was talking to my friend about this and he said that in Monte Rio Beach, they were selling beachfront lots for less than 1 million pesos last year, and these weren't selling because believe it or not Dominicans don't necessarily like to live right on the beach.

In terms of beachfront, I think you need to get out of Sosua a little bit more and realize that this is not the only beach there is in the DR. As a matter of fact I wouldn't even put Sosua in the same leage as most other beaches in the DR. As a beach Sosua is not very good...and Yes I've been there, just like I've been to many others in the DR.
Now, I realize that places like Sosua and Boca Chica are pretty much completely built up, so I can understand how you may have to pay a premium if you wanted to get a lot over there (I don't see why you would). You probably have to buy a property, tear it down and then build your house.

Anyhow, this is getting boring and repetitive, but if anyone is interested I'm pretty sure I can get you a beachfront lot for 100k. I should be able to make a good chunk of change...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
suarezn said:
Yeah, I think we do have a communication problem here, because as I mentioned before my house will be about 500 m2, isn't that the range that was mentioned or am I not reading this right? I showed you the pics of my friends house. His is about 350 m2, mine will be larger.
Cool, we are talking the same type home then. I didn't see you put that down before.

Originally posted by suarezn I was talking to my friend about this and he said that in Monte Rio Beach, they were selling beachfront lots for less than 1 million pesos last year, and these weren't selling because believe it or not Dominicans don't necessarily like to live right on the beach.

In terms of beachfront, I think you need to get out of Sosua a little bit more and realize that this is not the only beach there is in the DR. As a matter of fact I wouldn't even put Sosua in the same leage as most other beaches in the DR. As a beach Sosua is not very good...and Yes I've been there, just like I've been to many others in the DR.
I have actually been just about all over the country except Punta Cana area. Never went past Juan Dolio. As a beach Sosua is as nice as any other beach I have been to in the DR. I like it much better than Cabarete, Samana, Las Terenas, Puerto Plata, Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, Pedenales, Baharona and numerous other places.

I also like living under 10 minutes to the Airport. Means a lot to me because I travel every couple of months unlike some others that never leave at all.

I have traveled and stopped at many places going to Samana and nothing there for me. Been to Luperon which I liked but wouldnt live there. Puerto Plata, Confresi, Costambar and even Monti Cristi but they also are not for me. I have been everyplace west of Santo Domingo and again nothing for me. I have been from S. D. to Juan Dolio and again nothing for me. I have been to Jarabacoa, Santiago, La Vega, Moca, Navarete and hell have even been to Villa Gonzalez which I bet you haven't.

I know that I have missed a lot of places and plan on seeing every inch I haven't but I have traveled more of this country than most Dominicans and Expats. Please think about me having to get out of Sosua next time you need some fluff in the message:)

Originally posted by suarezn Now, I realize that places like Sosua and Boca Chica are pretty much completely built up, so I can understand how you may have to pay a premium if you wanted to get a lot over there (I don't see why you would). You probably have to buy a property, tear it down and then build your house.
This whole conversation was comparing something to a 200k Condo in Sosua on the Ocean that was brand new construction. Why compare it to Bumfuck where no one other than you would live there expecially an expat? That is like comparing a building lot in Manhattan on 5th Ave and 72nd street to Idaho.

Originally posted by suarezn
Anyhow, this is getting boring and repetitive, but if anyone is interested I'm pretty sure I can get you a beachfront lot for 100k. I should be able to make a good chunk of change...
I can get you a Beach front lot in Las Canas for under 50k but I wouldnt want to live there for heavens sake. What is your point?

Boring is comparing oranges to apples and then cutting and running when the Juice tastes different.

Scott

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Re: Re: to escott & co

Escott said:
Or can you find me a 150 M2 Condo on the water in Sosua or Cabarete in a nice location walking distance to the main beach for a reasonable price? I have a ten thousand dollar bill for you if you can on the home and a 5k bill for you on the condo.

Lets see what you have to offer other than hyperbole.

ok, I take your word. I'm pretty busy latetly, I will contact you next week. Keep the bills ready.

quaqualita

poquito_loco

Jan 26, 2004
prestige-hosting.com
Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Well, well, well,

Growing up in South West Fl.I watched the real estate go from a Fishing Village to the Ritz.

Living in Hawaii for 4 years late 80's early 90's I watched beach front lots on the N. Shore of Oahu go from under 100,000.00US to 4 million +.

I can only say this. If you build it they will buy it. If you want it you will find it. Best of luck to you all.

I think anything is possible. I have seen it happen.

P.S. If i send my Dominican buddy to buy it will he get it cheaper than I?

Best Regards, PL