Things I've Learned

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Be "Less Specific"!!!!!!!
When you make that broad a statement, it means you haven't lived here long enough yet!
You are still in the "I love EVERYTHING about the DR & it's People" stage.
Not to worry, what you find endearing today, won't be so likable after a few more years.
"Wanna Bet"????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
My wife and I of 42 years have been in the DR for 7 years. We feed folks that come to our front gate when they ask for it. Never give money. When we have helped people that we thought needed help, we later discovered we had been ripped off. It happened more times then I care to mention. Now, when we should help some folks we don't. Not sure who is telling the truth and who is not. There is an elderly couple in our area and I go by from time to time and give them 500 peso's for food. They ned it. When I see them in town I offer them a ride home. They are very old and very respectful and appreciate what we do for them. There offer to feed us but I decline, they don;t have that much, but we hug and air kiss. LOL nice folks are here just have to find them.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"HOME",...I know EXACTLY what you mean!
When you want to help, and do help, then realize, again, again, and yet again, that you are being taken advantage of,you no longer want to help anyone.
It's just the "Dominican way"!
They aren't ever grateful, they just look at you as an easy mark.
I have tried to give "Extra Things" to my maids in the past. They just started to help themselves when I did.
Now, I never give ANYTHING to a maid.
My mother-in-law makes our "Donations" through her church groups.
That's IT!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
For #4, this wouldn't apply to many people but I suppose even the elderly get bored of not doing anything...

Do you see yourself getting into something to keep busy? A business/job/something?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yes I enjoy my retirement in a non-sexually repressive nation and I ride my bike and enjoy looking at the most beautiful women in the World.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
All 5 Solid Advice.
#6. Be grateful daily I dont have to enter the 10,000 pesos a month RD job rat race.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Glad you are enjoying your new life here.
You should take up a hobby so you do not get bored in the near future.

Enjoy!

Aug 6, 2006
I never get bored. I spent a couple of weeks teaching a boy to read and write. The educational system in Barahona is pretty awful, and the school was closed for over a month because they needed to rebuild it. That would never happen in the States, not even in Mississippi or Puerto Rico. I got some good books on Amazon that made this really easy. Then I spent a day turning an issue of the Listin into origami boxes and paper airplanes with the kids.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I commend you for helping others. This kind of help is the one with true meaning.

Ccarabella

I never get bored. I spent a couple of weeks teaching a boy to read and write. The educational system in Barahona is pretty awful, and the school was closed for over a month because they needed to rebuild it. That would never happen in the States, not even in Mississippi or Puerto Rico. I got some good books on Amazon that made this really easy. Then I spent a day turning an issue of the Listin into origami boxes and paper airplanes with the kids.

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
I commend you for helping others. This kind of help is the one with true meaning.

Ccarabella

Its a tricky thing to know who needs help and those that don't. Ive been burnt many times but not for much. I

credit my suspiciousness to the things ive learned on DR1.

Aug 6, 2006
Ten year old boys are pretty much the same everywhere. I explained to the kid that he needed to know the alphabet to use the MP3 he wanted me to give him, so he could pick the songs. I bought it in a yard sale, but it made an excellent motivator. No kid is going to get anywhere in any country unless he can at least read and write. And it seems that they are not much good at teaching literacy in Barahona. I have found that a lot more women can read than men.