Things the D.R. needs?

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Whitening salons

I should explain. Tamborista posted a dislike.

Whitening salons not because I want Dominicans to be white (like I am).

Whitening salons because of the Dominican concern about color (how dark). There are 16 dofferently named shades of Dominican color (,by Dominicans) without including hatians. Look at TV commercials many dark actors? Go to the health and beauty section and count the number of whitening concoctions.

There is a market for whitening salons in the DR!

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
tommy, if you can make a decent cheese, i will be a steady customer. if you can duplicate that US cheese that looks like bricks and was given as USAID to developing countries, my friends and i will buy it by the wheelbarrow.

as an aside; there is no such thing as Sosua cheese. that stuff is soap.

I think that USAID cheese had saltpeter in it. Are you sure you want more?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Toilets that can handle toilet papers* !!!

*or vice-verca

That sh*t is gross, will never get used to it

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Toilets that can handle toilet papers !!!
(not sure if it has to do with tubes, I am no plumber, but that sh*t is gross, will never get used to it)

it has to do with not knowing how to engineer simple plumbing. i never heard of dropping used toilet paper in a bucket until i got here.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
An English language radio station with DR news, weather and something other than merengue.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I agree with all but what is it about cheese? In the US i have access to cheeses from the whole world plus many fine US cheeses eg. Cow Girl brand and many fine US goat cheeses. Most at about 20$/lb :( . in this country imports are available at 10 to 20 per lb, Sousa cheese is not my favorite.

Funny you mentioned cheese I was just planning t have my cheese making equipment shipped here (nothing elaborate just a press). Raw cow milk should be available too!

Please explain your statement about cheese.

Regarding wine, it is not just my opinion but that of most that California, oregon and washington equal French. Even the very special sautern Fr is equaled by US late harvest wines. What have you not been able to equal in the US?

Well I only visit the US so I couldnt really develop on that......

I am biased, having lived my whole life in France. Brie, crottin de ch?vre, cammenbert, roquefort are a few that are not available in good quality here in the dr..... even the bad quality found in supermarkets (better than nothing, I still buy them ) are at least 3 times the price than a normal/good equivalent back in france.

Wine........ nothing beats a chablis for white. A provence, chateau Minuty not to advertise, best ros? in the world.
I am sure there goodUS wines available just not in the dr. Whites far too acid, ros? so sweet its sickning ( true for all " new world" wines ).

And on the cheese,Sosua's taste like plastic ( and burnt plastic at that ), but Istill buy their cheddar from time to time. But their ricotta is OK in ,y books.
Only good local cheese sadly is quese de ojo,from Nava. Just fine not too salty ( as they tend to be ).

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
The ability to buy a single salami. Why do they always include 2 at a time. It's to much salami!!! :rambo:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It's too much salami!!! :rambo:

That's what she said, LOL!!!

The DR needs a way to vet expats. There are far too many who are just as bad if not worse than the worst of the native Dominicans.

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It would also be nice to be able to pick up monthly international magazines in a shop or have subscriptions delivered from the US in a timely fashion without the ridiculous costs involved.

And letting international shipping services deliver items with no taxes on things Dominican merchants have no interest in carrying, like quality high-end goods of whatever type.

It's just typical of the corrupt Latin American mentality to charge two-to-three times the amount for high-end items you can get so much cheaper in the US. And that's if they even sell the stuff without it being counterfeit.