Thinking of buying a car. Need solid advise .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As for buying a used car, I find one I like, do a quick diagnostics check on it with my own basic scanner and then bring it to my mechanic to evaluate it with his far more expensive and thorough diagnostic device as well as his visual inspection and we check the CarFax.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
As for buying a used car, I find one I like, do a quick diagnostics check on it with my own basic scanner and then bring it to my mechanic to evaluate it with his far more expensive and thorough diagnostic device as well as his visual inspection and we check the CarFax.
Scanners are good for codes, but you should always pull the bottom splash guard, look for leaks and shine a light around. 10 minutes on a lift can tell a mechanic a lot that codes won't. Look at ball joints and struts and tie rods and wiggle some things.
Always change belts and hoses and rod the radiator on anything older than 8 years.
Change all fluids on any used car (because Dominicans don't). New spark plugs on gas vehicles and timing belt on any car above 90K.
Think about new injectors - they can really affect mileage and performance

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I hope I don't get old enough to feel that way.

Yes, it will be your fault if you get hit no matter where, when, or by whom.
..I was not even driving my car, one of mi girl frens was when it was hit by a woman in the countryside...the police that arrived at the accident said we had the fault and should have got out of her way, as she doesnt know how to drive... the police were also her friends .... I have never had a accident while I was driving, on this one remember SEAT BELTS are a good thing.......

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Deal HD

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...a inspection by a qualified person is the best.. one that also knows the real price..sounds like Mike is your guy....

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I have bought two cars with Mike's help. The first is still excellent after a couple of years. The second, not so much. However, I'll still probably use his services in the future, just check more carefully myself after he finds the car, which to me is the best part of his service.
Batting .500 would be good in baseball. Not so good in car recommendations.

• Sad
Reactions: Michael DR

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
"Not saying it's a case here"...but you'll say it anyway just in case you need a little extra push. "Illegal" and "Deportable", words that a might be associated with "libel" and "slander". BTW, I think this is a personal attack on a member of the forum as you have clearly identified the individual and as such you are in violation of the TOS of the board. "It irks me" when innuendo is used to slander another person. There is no reason in the world that this is necessary or that it enhances the subject tread "Thinking of buying a car. NEED SOLID ADVISE".
Have a good day.
Who is the member of the forum to which you refer? Lol

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I have bought two cars with Mike's help. The first is still excellent after a couple of years. The second, not so much. However, I'll still probably use his services in the future, just check more carefully myself after he finds the car, which to me is the best part of his service.

This may be aside from the point, but two years is a bit of time during which many things can happen... There are quite a few things that can go wrong with vehicles, so without further details, IMO, the above does not really say that much...

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
A mechanic that you trust can steer you in the right direction and in the end tell you if it's a good deal or not. Their are of things you can check for wear and tear, a turned back odometer can not be checked but you can try to calculate the mileage based on how old it is. It's not hard to spot a car that's been abused, check online the particular vehicle your interested in and whether or not that is a dependable vehicle and what problems they have had in the past. These are all things you can do yourself.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I'm thinking of buying a car for my personal use at the end of this year. The car would be used for everyday driving in a limited way, ie; supermarket, short trips, going to the capital etc. I am interested in recommendations for SUV type cars (I haven't driven a sedan in 20 years) that are reliable and can be serviced quickly when needed in the capital area. I have a budget in mind of $15,000. Possible?
Anything Toyota.
Best new and used parts.
Most any Dominican mechanic has experience working in them.
When you go to sell it the popularity of the Toyota name will pay off.
First car I bought here and drove it very inexpensively to near death then gave it to my sis in law who fixed it
up like new and has driven it trouble free for a longtime.
I should have kept it.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Anything Toyota.
Best new and used parts.
Most any Dominican mechanic has experience working in them.
When you go to sell it the popularity of the Toyota name will pay off.
First car I bought here and drove it very inexpensively to near death then gave it to my sis in law who fixed it
up like new and has driven it trouble free for a longtime.
I should have kept it.
... right you are about Toyota, I worked for them for years.. only problem with them here is the price$$$..I have bought 2 cars after moving here ,a Camry and a Sonata y20.. both great if you do the upkeep...best price is from a private party.

Reactions: chrisrose97

dominicanjack

Jan 16, 2009
First I use Consumer Reports, and US NEWS and world report car ratings for what vehicle type I am looking for . They rate the cars .. and one thing I look for is crash safety , as when you drive here , it is not if ... it's when you get in some type of accident . After I am happy with ratings then Super Carros .. , then make a list of 6 or so of them and off .. to look at . Lots of great advise so far posted .. , and yes the CarFax for recently imported vehicles and you can get the correct actual miles .. A couple of years ago , I had a maximum budget of $ 25,000 USD for a used Lexus RX 350 .. Wow some great ones perfect condition , detailed .. to the max in Santiago . But ! the car fax showed 150,000 miles on most of them and they had them turned back to 60,000 , 70,000 etc. After several of these .. where is the " new car dealer " Bought a 2017 new Mazda CX =5 for $32,000 .. ( year old model but new ) . So why pay $ 24,000 for 6 year old used with double the miles ?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Long and short of it I bought a Nissan early 2019 with 22,000 miles on it. Came with balance of a 3 year warranty. Paid a little bit more than I wanted to but the car is like new. I'm happy. Let's see how it goes.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
A Sentra, I bet.
Nope. I went against the tide and bought a very sporting looking car that was not as heavy as I wanted but i loved the deal after looking for 2 1/2 days. I bought the Nissan Kick. I know it won't stand up to...bla bla . Did one trip so far to Nagua and it ran smooth as a top. Will I like the weight of it? IDK.. If not in 6-8 month I'll sell it and go to a Jeep. Right now I go to golf twice a week, fish store, Jumbo and SD. I don't do the Outback trips. lol

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Nope. I went against the tide and bought a very sporting looking car that was not as heavy as I wanted but i loved the deal after looking for 2 1/2 days. I bought the Nissan Kick. I know it won't stand up to...bla bla . Did one trip so far to Nagua and it ran smooth as a top. Will I like the weight of it? IDK.. If not in 6-8 month I'll sell it and go to a Jeep. Right now I go to golf twice a week, fish store, Jumbo and SD. I don't do the Outback trips. lol
Wow, I've never even seen one. Nice looking ride. Is it auto or standard? That should be just fine for what you're doing. And they're a lot more rugged than you think.

Reactions: johne

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Wow, I've never even seen one. Nice looking ride. Is it auto or standard? That should be just fine for what you're doing. And they're a lot more rugged than you think.
auto. I wasn't looking for a gas saver but apparently iIgot it anyway.

• Love
Reactions: JD Jones