Thinking of buying a car. Need solid advise .

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
2019. 22,000 miles
22,000 is harldy a test of reliability for any car, even a Chinese made one. Heck even the Yugo probably could go that far without problems... (probably not)

What Model?
They say the CVT shutter and lost power problems start around 60K to 80K miles.
Although I talked to one Canadian who said he has 140K on a Rogue with a CVT and no problem yet.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The car has two modes. One the normal automatic shifting, and the other the CTV. With the CTV you shift gears yourself without the necessity of a clutch. This is great for passing cars, etc. As a lower gear shift gives instant power to pass.

As for 4 wheel drive, yes you can lock that in whenever you want.
The CVT does not have gears but belt and pulley system so shifting with a Nissan Xtronic is just forcing the cone ratios to different points therefore raising RPMs and reducing mileage.
Toyota has created a CVT with a launch gear that starts out in a gear then switches to CVT after certain speed to eliminate the complaints about poor acceleration of CVTs.
The modern 6, 8, and 10 speed automatics are very smooth and manual shifting with them, either by paddle shifters or floor shift lever is preferable to a CVT simulated shifting.
But if you find a CVT a good transmission for your use by all means don't reject a car for that reason. Just be leery of older Nissans and their history of transmission issues.

Reactions: JD Jones

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I put together bits of advise and warnings about import, scams, mileage, etc and went with brand name., dealer 38 miles from my apartment, warranty , and Casa Cofer add on to insurance. . . and here I am.
..If you can and have the know how , a private party is a good way to go..check out the car and the owner..saves a lot of money and trouble later. saw a car 2 days ago I would recomend a few year old Sonata..Made in America, that means great cloth interior. air bags everywhere, better ride and it was a 5 speed manuel trans.. and cheaper than the common korean built with plastic interior.........

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
..If you can and have the know how , a private party is a good way to go..check out the car and the owner..saves a lot of money and trouble later. saw a car 2 days ago I would recomend a few year old Sonata..Made in America, that means great cloth interior. air bags everywhere, better ride and it was a 5 speed manuel trans.. and cheaper than the common korean built with plastic interior.........
Ah, exactly the stuff... NOT for me. I don't profess to have the know how. I inspect , buy, and renovate houses. Not cars. Know very little about how clocks get turned back (and not considered fraud in this country), know even less how a thin film is applied over an entire car, (same as film that is used advertising products and services. Nope, and I'm not so sure about "saves a lot of money" either. Buying a used car is a crap shoot as far as I'm concerned and only a question as to much you want to put on on the line and what the odds are.

Reactions: USA DOC

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Ah, exactly the stuff... NOT for me. I don't profess to have the know how. I inspect , buy, and renovate houses. Not cars. Know very little about how clocks get turned back (and not considered fraud in this country), know even less how a thin film is applied over an entire car, (same as film that is used advertising products and services. Nope, and I'm not so sure about "saves a lot of money" either. Buying a used car is a crap shoot as far as I'm concerned and only a question as to much you want to put on on the line and what the odds are.
FWIW John, I think you did well.

Reactions: johne

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
yes not for the average person... one with lots of knowlege... I know several people who can find you the right car, I can most of the time spot a bad car very quicky.