Thinking of moving back to DR

randujar

Jan 19, 2011
What do the kids think? sometimes they like the idea. Sometimes they do not. Same as me that see pros and cons. BTW, no one says that decisions, like life, are supposed to be easy :)

No question that you can not compare the resources of a developed country with those of a poor country. But I think that if we do well in the business, while also having some joy, it would be better and less stressful for everyone. The US gives you lots of stress. Yes you make money, but then what? I live in a nice community, but do I know my neighbors? I know their names, and that's about it. From what I recall, it is not like that in DR. Yes, you will find someone looking for an easy buck, and you end up paying the bill in some ocassions. But you can also pick with whom you mingle.

Bolin

Sep 22, 2010
I would not leave school-university age children alone either. Both of my children live and work in the US and one of their very favorite things to do is come here to visit. My daughter (between jobs) came last year, stayed most of the year, got some great computer classes at APEC and CENTU and had alot of very affordable dental work done.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
No question that you can not compare the resources of a developed country with those of a poor country. But I think that if we do well in the business, while also having some joy, it would be better and less stressful for everyone. The US gives you lots of stress. Yes you make money, but then what? I live in a nice community, but do I know my neighbors? I know their names, and that's about it. From what I recall, it is not like that in DR. Yes, you will find someone looking for an easy buck, and you end up paying the bill in some ocassions. But you can also pick with whom you mingle.

you see, i do not know. if you want to live in a good area you are not so likely to know your neighbours either: they will have high walls, move everywhere in cars and you will hardly see them. only the poor live their lives in the open in the street where they play dominoes, drink beer and wash their motors and kids.
business in DR ain't easy either - i am sure everyone will confirm that. many hopefuls come here but few succeed. and it is not stress free :)
think, think, think. maybe try it yourself firts and then bring wife and kids? maybe do few months here few months there?

randujar

Jan 19, 2011
dv8 makes an excellent point that I never thought of: the part of my family that is poor has more relations with neighbors. The part that is well-off and live in nice communities only says "hi" to their neighbors whenever they see one another. You are right!!! They rarely set foot on the street. They do have groups that meet once a week to party and drink (each week in a different house), but from my friends that do that in DR it sounds like there is a lot of stress in setting up the party, and there is a great deal of "hidden" competition in terms of whose party was better or has better drinks and food. I know of wives that spend almost a month planning for when the party is at their homes.

I still think it is easier to have friends and a better social life. People are easier to approach, Don't you think?

Mar 1, 2009
Yeah to meet friends in your "social circle" a) you have to be introduced to people.
b) you have to join social clubs like Naco and Casa Espana and work your way up.
c)Join a church or Evangelico group and you hang out with the brothers (no booze, no music, no gambling, no life hahahaha).
d) your family is big and you hang out with them a lot, (downside "your rich" tu tiene paga por la cerveza, that's where you act poor comes in, yo no tengo ahora, toy pelao. La economia mundial me tiene jodio").

That one always works.

Kako si Milosh, drago mi je!? Dobro vecer?