This Boards Impact On Your Life

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Without this message board, I would never have met Escott and AZB, two of the best guys I have ever met. I would never have met a bunch of other great people along the way either. I would not have had access to all this great information. I look forward to logging on here, reading the news and following the message board banter. I would never have come across such idiots as Joseito and Janice. I would never have seen such funny pictures as the one in the media gallery of Xanaduranch with all his rings and stupid yellow hat. Thanks Robert and Dolores.
Larry

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
This is... all so... sweet ::crying::

Well, without DR1 I wouldn't have added to my list of friends some superb people. I can't imagine not knowing Chiri, Jane, Hillbilly, Dolores (and husband), Escott and of course Uncle Rob. I have met some other wonderful people on this site, but the ones above went from beer-or-coffee friends to I-am-in-jail-bail-me-out friends.

My second favorite board (not counting my own of course) recently went paid-subscription and despite kicking and screaming I spat out the money and became a paying member. I thought I would never do that on the net, and this other MB has nowhere near the impact DR1 has on my life. Of course, if DR1 goes paid-subscription I WON'T PAY (don't get any ideas Rob) but hell will I miss it. :)

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Hi Chop, long time no hear from you...

Chopical said:
If this board didn't exist do you think your life would be the same, better, or worse?

My life w/b the same. I love coming here everyday though. I have met some nice people, and I've had fun along the way.

Missed you at the last reunion.

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
I would never have found the Gay Community of Santo Domingo without DR1!

Joseito

Last edited by a moderator:

GlowWorm

Nov 18, 2003
The impact this board has had on my life is that it is a reminder to me of what the DR is like, even when I?m not there.

Like the DR, this board has beautiful views, friendly people, and a welcoming atmosphere that invites you to return.

Also like the DR, this board has garbage, potholes, tigueres (sp), and some unpleasant elements that make you wonder why you came here in the first place.

As with the DR, I have weighed both the good and the bad and the scale still tips toward the good, so I?ll keep returning.

GlowWorm

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
How did DR1 impact on my life? Well let?s see, and this is serious sh**! I have been living here for over 10 years now and I guess that with time you kind of forget or take for granted, all the good things about this country; ?la joie de vivre? de este pueblo, the amazing drive to small towns, the priceless smile of a little boy on a country road, the flowery smell when you first come off the plane, its cascades and rivers, the beauty of the turquoise sea, that ?real men? do still exist (thanks to Miguel?s posts) and of course sipping a cold Presidente in the Colonial zone. Than I started to read DR1 and the posts of people sharing their stories of when they touched the DR soil, some stories made me laugh, some made me ?wonder what the heck!? but mostly they made me remember the reasons I felt in love with this country! Thank ya! :)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Boy, oh boy!!!!!!

juanita said:
How did DR1 impact on my life? Well let’s see, and this is serious sh**! I have been living here for over 10 years now and I guess that with time you kind of forget or take for granted, all the good things about this country; “la joie de vivre” de este pueblo, the amazing drive to small towns, the priceless smile of a little boy on a country road, the flowery smell when you first come off the plane, its cascades and rivers, the beauty of the turquoise sea, that “real men” do still exist (thanks to Miguel’s posts) and of course sipping a cold Presidente in the Colonial zone. Than I started to read DR1 and the posts of people sharing their stories of when they touched the DR soil, some stories made me laugh, some made me “wonder what the heck!” but mostly they made me remember the reasons I felt in love with this country! Thank ya! :)
Juanita darling, I am very humbled by what you said about me :bunny: .

Just don't say it too loud, since they are many female bashers here and they will rip me another caboose hol*, :cheeky: . Thanks

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
juanita said:
....I guess that with time you kind of forget or take for granted, all the good things about this country; ?la joie de vivre? de este pueblo, the amazing drive to small towns, the priceless smile of a little boy on a country road, the flowery smell when you first come off the plane, its cascades and rivers, the beauty of the turquoise sea,... :)

Could not agree with you more and I'm so glad I came back to my country!
I love it here in spite of all the problems. It's still a relative paradise.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
miguel said:
Juanita darling, I am very humbled by what you said about me :bunny: .

Just don't say it too loud, since they are many female bashers here and they will rip me another caboose hol*, :cheeky: . Thanks

Ehh!!! Let us dream a bit! You're like our own "Don Juan DeMarco"! :laugh:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
the board and internet

For me this board lets me make any preparations I need to move to the DR when I am ready. As far as the Internet I am already at least an 8 hour drive from anyone I want to talk to in the States so I communicate through the Internet.
If I live in the DR I am basically just the same travel time from them. The Irony is the cost to fly to my home town from the DR is the same as flying from where I am at now to my home town.
Using the Internet I am basically able to have my relationships with my friends and family back home but live year round in perfect summer time lifestyle.
John
P.S.
I did a cost break down based on part info from DR1 but also from my observations while in the DR. on a $1500 a month pension I would have the same standard of living there as I would with my plus a $3000 a month job here in Virginia Beach. SO no work and same standard of living or work full. I think this is a no brainer.

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
a lil bit of home

In my case when away form home it makes me feel at home. It also tends to help mekeep lif in perspective and reminds me that it nice to be able to feel at home even when away....

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Sad but true................

If this board didn't exist do you think your life would be the same, better, or worse?[/QUOTE]
This board unfortunately ruined my life! I found out my bf was a certified sankie!!!! :angry:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Then!!!

stormer said:
This board unfortunately ruined my life! I found out my bf was a certified sankie!!!! :angry:
Then it's a good thing. You saved a lot of money. Make the check payable to AZB, Inc.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
This board ruined my life!!!

Tomorrow I will be driving to the nearest bridge and throwing myself off of it. . . . . . .all because of DR1.

Ya see. . . .I thought I was an intelligent, interesting, fun loving kind of guy, with a not sao bad life. . . . .until TODAY. . . . . .

because of DR1 I have learned. . . . .that. . . . .gasp. . . . . .I am a chopo!

I am not really sure what a chopo is. . . . .I just know it is bad. Chopos make the world a bad place. The world would be MUCH better without us chopos.

So. . . .tomorrow I do the world a favor and rid it of one insignificant Chopo!

I wasn't sure I was a chopo, till today. Although I don't have an Ivy league degree, and don't drive my lexus to my penthouse in Piantini, I still didn't think I was a Chopo.

I don't have nappy hair, fat nose or lips. . . . . .I don't hang my laundry on other people's balconies. . . . . .I like bachata and merengue but never blast it or play it all day long, in fact I rarely play it as I hear it EVERYWHERE.

I don't urinate everywhere, and have no idea how to play dominos. . . .but yet I am a chopo. .. . . . . . .

I am guilty. . . . .I drink BEER!!!!

I mean I played a double header of softball yesterday. . . . .I know softball has got to be a chopo sport. . .. .I tried joining a Polo team but I don't own a horse. . . . . . .

After the game. . . .I thought about a glass of port, or maybe a single malt scotch. . . . . .but Hooters. . . .the all time Chopo hangout. . . .which just happened to be the nearest bar to the game. . . . . .doesn't serve Single Malts. . . ..although they do have bottles of Dom. . . . . .we lost so Dom was not apropriate. . . .

They do serve BEER. . . . .they even had Presidente. The ultimate Chopo drink!

I ate wings. . . . .that has to be a chopo meal. . . . .and drank beer, while watching the Met game. . . . .it wasn't my fault. . . . .I didn't yet know that it would make me a chopo.

I should have changed into a double breasted suit, hopped into a camaro. . . .or make that a Mercedes. . . . only chopos have camaros. . . .even Joe Dirt had a Hemi .he he he he. . . . .and went to a fine french restaurant and ate frogs legs and drank wine. . . . . .

But I didn't. . . .so now I will kill myself and rid the world of one useless Chopo.

I will throw on my Presidente tee shirt, pop a bachata CD in the walkman and strip naked. . . .of course hanging my clothes from the bridge like a true chopo, before jumping to my death below.
That is how DR1 changed my life. . . . .

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Addiction

Think I'm more or less addicted to reading this board. Just have to check the latest messages several times per day. It's the first thing I do when I get to work in the morning. It's very informative and interesting reading. Since I found this board I know now much more about D.R. and dominicans than I did before. Also without this board I wouldn't know anything about sankies and chopos. Thanks for enligtening me.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
across the board...

... DR1 is responsible for my successful move to the DR.

Advice given here and friends made here have helped me avoid the pitfalls so often discussed, and have made the transition to a different culture and country as smooth as silk.

I want a t-shirt!