This still happens

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
Chirimoya said:
A foreign acquaintance of mine who lived and worked in the DR for many years told me the following tale. He was in a publico interurbano (shared taxi) in the Cibao region, and driving along a dark rural road the driver struck a pedestrian and went on driving. He tried to persuade the driver to turn back so they could help the victim. The driver and the other occupants didn't want to know. Although this foreigner to some extent understood the reasons for their reluctance, he was distressed and appalled. Once he got to his destination he got a friend with a motorbike to go back to the scene, but there was nothing there.

This person clearly adored the DR and the Dominican people, but he said that this incident was a turning point for him and led to his decision to leave the country.
these "horror" stories really add a new dimension to the dr..even calling a taxi,rather then renting a car to tour the island seems to put one at risk.and if you don't speak the language..BIG problem.

Cessie

Apr 5, 2005
it can happen to anybody

It happened on Sunday Feb. 27 th 2005.
My family and I had just left our friends place in Perla Marina. We headed back towards Sosua Beach when we saw a big group of guys on motorcycles and pasolas passing us, going opposite direction (Cabarete). They were making funny moves and messing around (while driving ).
I remember thinking how dangerous that was, when a few seconds later the secong group followed up. One of the guys on a pasola was making really weird moves, he lost control over his pasola and slipped all the way over to our side of the road in front of our car. There was nothing that we could do exept to go for the bushes. It happenend too fast. We hit the guy and his pasola with our left back tire. We thought the guy was dead.
After a couple of minutes of screaming, my kids crying, and my husband trying to get him to a docter the victim started breathing. Another guy with a truck stopped (we couldn't go,the tire was flat!) and took him to hospital. The pasola was totall. MEanwhile police arrived at the scene.One of the policemen got into our car and my husband took me and the kids home and then headed toward the police station. I called a good friend of ours to help out my husband. God bless him for that.
After sitting at the police station the whole night, police decided my husband could sleep at home, but had to return at 8 the next morning.
My husband was placed in a cell the next morning, after calling our insurance company and another friend who could help him out . We found out that that the BOY was still alive, he is 13 years old, and just got the pasola as a present.
This was his second pasola, by the way. He got in a accident with this first one too!!!
My husband was taken out of the cell 3 hours later, after being threathend by the police (who wanted money of course ). He was taken to City Hall, where the lawyer of the insurance company was waiting. Bail was set on 500.000 pesos. Our insurance paid for it, and my husband was free to go.
The father of the victim kept calling us up for money and we advised him to go to our insurance company. He said no, just give whatever amout you want and i'll be fine.
So next morning we went to our lawyer, set up a contract. The father of the victim came to the office with his cedula, he signed for the money and off he went. The victim was home after a week in hospital. Had a few broken bones and a massive concussion. But he will live. We are lucky that none of us got hurt physically(?).
So now everything is peacefull and well.
The insurance company doesn't pay medical bills for the other party if you are not a fault. The father of the victim knew that, which is why he was okay with whatever we wanted to give him.
Now, to everyone who says "do not stop". No words for that. We would do the same thing,unless our lives were in danger. It is a human being there on the road bleeding and hurting.
I would not be able to get that image out of my head for the rest of my life if we would just take off. I still remember every second of what happened. It's rough, for my kids too, but at least i know that the boy is alive and i can walk on the street without being afraid that someone might recognize me from driving off that accident.