Three American brothers held in Dominican prison proclaim their innocence

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Looks like they were released yesterday from jail but need to remain in the country.

This type of negative publicity about Dominican Republic doesn't bode well for tourism which is desperately needed
So when will The Abinator spring them?Maybe he will offer them free medical and pay for their flight change too🤣

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Looks like they were released yesterday from jail but need to remain in the country.

This type of negative publicity about Dominican Republic doesn't bode well for tourism which is desperately needed
Especially since they are from Florida as I recall.
There are lot of quick trip Florida people that come here.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I wonder if all the people making comments on this forum are influential in Abinader's decision process ?
Certainly no one needs a horror story about possible foreigner's being setup with drug in their rent-a-car.

If someone left something in my rental car I prefer it to be the $6 million left in one abandoned at SF Airport in 1984
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la...$6 million in cash,the money was drug-related.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

I'm trying to understand this statement. Why is this"negative publicity"?. How does this story affect tourism? Why does this not"bode well"? Seriously want to know your thoughts.

Reactions: JD Jones

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed - the fact that police are ‘policing’ seems to be a good thing

Well known fact that drugs are unwelcome here ..... even what some consider ‘non. Drugs’
Like Mary Jane

Tough penalties

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I'm trying to understand this statement. Why is this"negative publicity"?. How does this story affect tourism? Why does this not"bode well"? Seriously want to know your thoughts.
At his stage, it is certainly not exactly a "feel good" story.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017

News coverage in the United States about this case and how three brothers have been locked in jail in a foreign country without sufficient evidence (or what would be considered sufficient in their legal system). Might make the viewers think twice about visiting here.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
News coverage in the United States about this case and how three brothers have been locked in jail in a foreign country without sufficient evidence (or what would be considered sufficient in their legal system). Might make the viewers think twice about visiting here.
Hmmmmm, a four pound bag of something that seemed to be of value that an individual tried to steal seems a little like evidence. Ook, lets see what happens. It's funny how two ppl can look at the same thing and come to opposite conclusions. I see it as positive,

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
Hmmmmm, a four pound bag of something that seemed to be of value that an individual tried to steal seems a little like evidence. Ook, lets see what happens. It's funny how two ppl can look at the same thing and come to opposite conclusions. I see it as positive,
Not sure if you watched the news clip but the story wasn't presented in the positive light you are seeing it.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Not sure if you watched the news clip but the story wasn't presented in the positive light you are seeing it.
Thats why I asked what is negative about it.All across America this is everyday stuff. The quick action by the Dom. police is a plus my eyes. Hey, it's in the eyes of the beholder. Or, put it another way (politics here sorry mod) that's why there are conservative parties, and lib parties. Yes, I did watch the clip. Ten times ,and listened to an interview with the father that put up$15,000 legal fees.It's all good here on DR1, the forum board of opinions.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Agree

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I think some would think a 4 lb. package of drugs hidden in a car is sufficient enough to warrant being arrested. It happens every day in just about every country.

What caught my eye was the guy from the rental company being there. That smacks of involvement by the rental company to me. It sounds like he was following the brothers with the knowledge that the package was hidden in the car then tried to make it disappear when the poop hit the fan.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I think some would think a 4 lb. package of drugs hidden in a car is sufficient enough to warrant being arrested. It happens every day in just about every country.

What caught my eye was the guy from the rental company being there. That smacks of involvement by the rental company to me. It sounds like he was following the brothers with the knowledge that the package was hidden in the car then tried to make it disappear when the poop hit the fan.
They were " unwitting" mules .... a very plausible theory ..
I wonder if the Rental Company has ever been investigated are caught with similar Evidence ?
If so, it would be one hell of a Coincidence ..
Rental cars driven by unknowing American Tourists
would be a very slick way of moving drugs from one destination to another .
Would fill in a lot of pieces of this strange puzzle.

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
Hi
please remond me if they are American? Remind me of the location in the country? What business did they have their?

• Haha

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
They would have had to lift Fingerprints BEFORE like a DOZEN People Played with the Package ..
Might as well use if for a game of Football now ... useless
But of course ‼

They would have needed to use gloves at the scene. Ideally they would have photographed the location of the package. They would have had a official "finder" of the package. The finder would have a fellow officer witness the location of the package. The finder would place the package into a evidence container. The finder would seal the container with tamper proof tape. The finder would attach a description to the evidence container and sign it. The finder would maintain custody of the package until it is signed into the evidence storage vault with the evidence custodian. That is if they did not have a evidence processing unit that did all of that for them. Or they were tied up on another assignment.

This all should have been done in order to maintain chain of custody if the evidence was challenged in a court of law. Where it gets real. As opposed to this court of gringo speculation.🤣

Reactions: jd426

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
No you don't. you are just trolling. Your questions are your statements.

Negative publicity? If it turns out that the young men were set up. That would not look good. To some not all. Depends on the type of headwear you prefer.

Will it affect tourism? I do not know. But there are a lot of places to travel. Who wants to know they can be set up by a police department known to have issues with veracity.

Not bode well? If the facts do not pan out well in the case then the red flag goes up to the current administration that they have some work to do.

Asked and answered counselor.

Jan 3, 2003
Something similar happened to me. I was interested in buying an Infiniti so I rented one to see how I like it, got stopped and searched in Santiago and they found some weed in the car, wanted to lock me up... If these guys were in Haiti or the border with Haiti 99% the weed is theirs.
That's a drug. You should have been arrested. What are you complaining about?