three year ride is it doable

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cornhusker Mom

I sent you a private message....

We are "sort of" a US family.....Are we???:p:p

HB

Note: Dominicans do not play in their houses. Kids go to the Centro Espa?ol or one of the other clubs or play organized sports.

My 7 year old grandson is in Judo three days a week and F?tbol one or two days a week. There is basketball, Tae Kwon Do, Table tennis, baseball, cycling, swimming,f?tbol (soccer to you), archery, gymnastics, all on an organized level at those ages..

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hillbilly, I agree..

with you this time!

My son is 14 1/2 and he had no problems at all to adapt here ( arrived at age 10, but had been here 3 years before that at a younger age) .
He has more Dominican friends than gringos, and he does not separate them or even think in those terms..

The kids come over every once in a while and stay in the house, but basically if they need to eat, drink, need money (to often! )or want to play on the computer, listen to music etc. Sometimes on weekends they sleep over in each others houses.
Most afternoons they all meet up ( this is Puerto Plata ) at the Plaza de los bomberos, they don?t play around the house.
They meet up in the parque or come and get each other..

They also play basketball twice a week ( cost 150 pesos/year ), they go to basket ball games, they go to alots of other places. All nice and cool kids.

My son was the first in our family to become fluent in Spanish, and even today, years later, when I lose a word or don?t know a word, I ask him.

I am not at all worried in terms of friends and activities for my son, it has all come very natural. ;)