Ticks??

bill p

Aug 18, 2003
ticks

i have seen it on a web site that frontline can cause cancer . when i can find it again u will be the first to know

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
We have been dealing with ticks for 3 years since we got our first dog. We live on beachfront and my dogs love to go to swim in the ocean, they go daily. So forget about all the kind of shampoo and drops that you can imagine, we have tested them ALL. Hopefully, couple of weeks ago we found an injection to do to the dog, and as a miracle since then no more ticks ;-) I'll find the name of the product, you have to inject it once a month and so far, so good, hope it lasts...

Is it Ivermectan (spelling?)?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
i have seen it on a web site that frontline can cause cancer . when i can find it again u will be the first to know

Please do that Bill as alot of us are dog owners....Any news like that is not only a big surprise but need to know info.....Again Most of us here never heard that..I even called my vet after reading your answer...She said no..That must be a hell of a website you were reading if a vet didn't know that.....WE ARE ALL WAITING ON THIS ONE........................

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Garlic and apple cider vinegar!

I only use the tick treatment once a year; in June when it seems to be the high season for these suckers. Some other more natural tricks that I use are: I make my own dog food so I always put in a good portion of fresh garlic (ticks and flees dislike the smell on the dog?s skin, also very good for parasites) I also pour a little bit of apple cider vinegar in her drinking water (good for urine system and the bugs also dislike this smell). I live in the DR and my dog is in the yard all day and inside at night. :bunny:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I only use the tick treatment once a year; in June when it seems to be the high season for these suckers. Some other more natural tricks that I use are: I make my own dog food so I always put in a good portion of fresh garlic (ticks and flees dislike the smell on the dog?s skin, also very good for parasites) I also pour a little bit of apple cider vinegar in her drinking water (good for urine system and the bugs also dislike this smell). I live in the DR and my dog is in the yard all day and inside at night. :bunny:
Makes a lot of sense.
There are other factors, of course, as to why some dogs have acute tick problems, and others don't.
Where they live and how many ticks there are in the area.
Their natural immunity to ticks, or to the contrary, the attraction they provide.
Some dogs are prone, others are not.
I like your ideas and they would be useful to all who own dogs.
If they have a bigger problem, then they have to find which product or combination of products works best with their particular animal.

emddvm

Oct 7, 2004
I am a veterinarian and have not seen any reports of Frontline causing cancer, although I don't do much work with domestic animals. It has been very effective over the last few years for ticks and fleas but is beginning to lose some of its efficacy recently.
Ivermectin is the active ingredient in Heartguard and similar products used for heartworm prevention. It is really not used in the US for tick control but may be elsewhere.

Mike

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am a veterinarian and have not seen any reports of Frontline causing cancer, although I don't do much work with domestic animals. It has been very effective over the last few years for ticks and fleas but is beginning to lose some of its efficacy recently.
Ivermectin is the active ingredient in Heartguard and similar products used for heartworm prevention. It is really not used in the US for tick control but may be elsewhere.

Mike
Thanks Doc.