Time and the developing world

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When you see anything you love, a "Must Have", etc., BUY ALL OF THEM!
I saw "Bush's Baked Beans" at "National", ONCE!
"Diet Dr. Pepper", "ONCE"!
"Damn"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCC

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Whenever I go to my local supermarket here in NYC I began buying the Cadbury plain chocolate bars when they began carrying this item. It got to the point where that was the first of the different types they carried to be sold out, and after a few times of restocking they decided to re-order the ones that didn't sell. After that, no more Cadury plain chocolate bars, even though that was the only one that sold consistently, thanks to me.

When I inquired about this situation, the manager told me since he couldn't keep the plain in stock he decided to stop carrying it.

Yes, the manager is Dominican and yes, this way of thinking made total sense to him. It was I who was crazy for wondering why and crazier for asking about it.

Once you wrap your head around this type of logic the DR will begin to make total sense.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
If you have the $$$$$$$$$$$ and are willing to spend it you can get things done quickly in the DR. There are many people who are electricians, plumbers, carpenters who will snap to when they see the green. Cash is and always will be king, especially in the DR,

LTSTeve

May 29, 2006
I dunno. I've dealt with NYC tourists in Vermont and Upstate NY and I thought they are crazy for wanting everything in such a hurry. Dominicans prob feel the same about most ex-pats. Speed of service is more of a supply and demand thing.

One of the trendy metrics for the restaurant business in the US is that people should now get their main course within 12 minutes of ordering it. The franchises want you in and out within 45 minutes so they can flip more tables. If that's progress, I want no part of it.

May 29, 2006
Whenever I go to my local supermarket here in NYC I began buying the Cadbury plain chocolate bars when they began carrying this item. It got to the point where that was the first of the different types they carried to be sold out, and after a few times of restocking they decided to re-order the ones that didn't sell. After that, no more Cadury plain chocolate bars, even though that was the only one that sold consistently, thanks to me.

When I inquired about this situation, the manager told me since he couldn't keep the plain in stock he decided to stop carrying it.

Yes, the manager is Dominican and yes, this way of thinking made total sense to him. It was I who was crazy for wondering why and crazier for asking about it.

Once you wrap your head around this type of logic the DR will begin to make total sense.

I've encountered this when I find a great product and I want to buy a lot of it. I try to get a discount on a whole case and they want me to pay a higher mark-up because they have to do more work! Not just in the DR.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've encountered this when I find a great product and I want to buy a lot of it. I try to get a discount on a whole case and they want me to pay a higher mark-up because they have to do more work! Not just in the DR.
Easy solution: ask what the price would be if you don't buy ~any~...:cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's been a while i lived somewhere else and even when i did i did not have that many bills to pay :)
but let me think...
DR wins in many ways in comparison to poland. poland is a f**king bureaucratic nightmare. to get passport you need to apply in person and pick up in person. waiting time? three f**king months. it used to be that there was an express 24hr service but with new biometric passports it is more difficult since they are all made in one place in the whole damn country. strangely when i did my passport via polish embassy in bogota it took less time (a month) and i received it by the courier. still had to apply personally because they need fingerprints. here in DR you can get the passport withing 3 days or in 24hrs if you want VIP.

banking is the whole new story. i could write about polish banking fro three days straight and the only uncensored words would be and, or, but. here in DR we have god damn drive through banking. gee. it takes less time to do the thing than it would in poland to find the parking space in front of any bank...

paying bills. we pay lots by phone. i go to pay power bill personally because it's fun. they take cc. i pay water personally too, very close to home and no one is ever there. they take cc too but only if there is power ;)
in poland you can have a direct debit setting when all your bills are paid automatically, every month, from your bank account. i guess the land of ancestors wins here.

but in general poland does not do all that well for one major reason. corruption. god, i love me some good, old fashioned corruption and bribery like in DR. you pay up and things get done faster. who would not want that back home?