Time Magazine on Leonel Fernandez, DR ..

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
gary short said:
NALs where did I suggest that anyone vote Hipolito back in.
600 million would go a long way in funding education and health care in a country this size. Spending it on a subway that may never function or if it does, have a negligable ridership due to fares that no one will be able to afford is nonsense.
NALs stop doing whatever it is you're doing to yourself it's killing your brain.
I was being sarcastic, not serious. God forbid Hippo is ever voted, but surprises do occur.

How long do you think 600 million will last if invested in the education sector?

Would it be enough to see an entire generation pass through such education improvement or simply partially help and then taper off?

If anyone here wants to help a young Dominican, pay for his/her education.

The fact that there are so many with not a good education increases the rate of return on the investment for those who actually do get a good education.

It sure is alot better than throwing complaints into thin air, which basically is what is happening here since those complaints are not going to stop the metro's construction.

-NALs

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
NALs said:
The fact that there are so many with not a good education increases the rate of return on the investment for those who actually do get a good education.-NALs

Quite possibly the most moronic statement you have ever made, Nals.

And that's saying something...

Scandall

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
DR's problem is not lacking natural resources; -its lacking the domestic human capitalto exploit them adequately,..

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Originally Posted by NALs
The fact that there are so many with not a good education increases the rate of return on the investment for those who actually do get a good education.-NALs

NALs, what I belive Scandall is trying to let you know is that while such a statement may be true, it would be rediculous to entairtain that as been good for DR, or any country for that matter, ..

Scandall, please don't shoot if I didn't get it straigh ;-)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
NALs said:

EDITED TO INCLUDE: Too late. I already pulled the trigger. ;)

So what, Nals? It's academic horse****.

Can you honestly say that you would prefer this great "return" on a few people over having a generally better educated population?

This is why you are against putting more money into education? Please tell me you have something more.

And your question of "How long would 800 million last in the DOE anyway?" is another weak excuse to not give them the funds that they so desperately need. You would prefer to **** it away on a metro that will not benefit anybody.

Go ahead and add "elitist" to all the other names I have called you in the past. It sure is nice of you to sit in your comfortable seat in Connecticut and deny your countrymen an opportunity of someday having the same.

Scandall

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
aegap said:
NALs, what I belive Scandall is trying to let you know is that while such a statement may be true, it would be rediculous to entairtain that as been good for DR, or any country for that matter, ..

Scandall, please don't shoot if I didn't get it straigh ;-)
I know what Scandall is saying, in fact, I know what most people tell me on DR1.

The issue is this, I post things that most, if not all other people will never post.

I mean, who in their right mind be against education? Only someone who wants an earfull from certain groups of people.

But, what I do post, if read and interpreted correctly, does makes people think. Of course, some people are more interested in me than in what I post and thus, they respond with "you're a moron" or "what an idiot" or "brain cells do burn out", etc.

They are not reading what I post for what it is, they are reading my post in an attempt at figuring out what I stand for and what my logic is behind my postings, in other words they are trying to figure out who I am in terms of analyzing things. That is not the way of reading my posts, because I don't always post what I actually believe in.

But, I do post what has not been posted, as odd as it may be, they are always legitimate questions.

Everyday I feel as if I am going to have to publish a "How to read and interpret NALs postings" manual. ;)

-NALs

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
by you bringing it up people assume, rightly/incorrectly, you are doing so as an excuse to the status quo, ..

Last edited:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
NALs said:
they are reading my post in an attempt at figuring out what I stand for and what my logic is behind my postings,

Wrong again. I could care less what you stand for. :)

NALs said:
in other words they are trying to figure out who I am in terms of analyzing things.

I know who you are. Some guy in Connecticut who thinks he knows everything.

NALs said:
Everyday I feel as if I am going to have to publish a "How to read and interpret NALs postings" manual. ;)

Don't bother. It won't sell.

Have a great weekend.

Scandall

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Scandall said:
So what, Nals? It's academic horse****.

Can you honestly say that you would prefer this great "return" on a few people over having a generally better educated population?
I never said that.

And, if you want my belief in this, then no. It's better to have an educated population than a few.

But, so does everybody else on this board.

For this reason I detach from what I truly think about this and simply post a question that will either make or break the argument. The purpose is always to help the argument gain momentum to eventually lead to some form of action.

But, some people can't see beyond that and resort to personal attacks.

People need to realize that my posts are not about me, it's about the issue. So please, treat them as part of the issue and not as a representation of my beliefs or anything about me.

Scandall said:
This is why you are against putting more money into education? Please tell me you have something more.
I am not against putting more money into education.

What I am trying to do is find an answer as to why would anyone would want to complaint about the system into thin air. For this reason I engage in debates, making sure people have something else behind their statements other than monotonous rhetoric that someone else invented.

Scandall said:
And your question of "How long would 800 million last in the DOE anyway?" is another weak excuse to not give them the funds that they so desperately need. You would prefer to **** it away on a metro that will not benefit anybody.
Such questions are meant to encourage the other poster to justify his/her position in this or any subject. If you say we should invest x amount, I want to know what are your plans as to how those x amounts should be spent. Lump sump or installments? For the beginning or only the end? Or maybe keep a constant flow of funding that would amount to the x amount?

Scandall said:
Go ahead and add "elitist" to all the other names I have called you in the past. It sure is nice of you to sit in your comfortable seat in Connecticut and deny your countrymen an opportunity of someday having the same.
What I don't know is whether education leads to initiative and thus, greater wealth or initiative leads to education attainment and thus, greater wealth.

If its the first one, then by all means pour all the money in the world. If it's the latter one, then let's think this through very well.

Does a college graduate becomes successful (and not all do) because he graduated or simply because of his tenacity and ambition which lead to graduating and thus, lead to him finishing everything he started?

These are legitimate chicken and egg questions, particularly for this subject of education.

I will finish with this, those kids that dropped out of school did not dropped out because the schools were not financially secure. They dropped out for other reasons, let those reasons be personal finances, personal lack of ambition, missplaced priorities, and such.

Those kids that are graduating, the extreme minority among all school age kids in the DR, are they graduating due to their own ambition and tenacity? Are they graduating because they are responsible and have goals and good priorities? Good time management?

These are legitimate questions that often get ridiculed on DR1, but these questions have merit, especially when it concerns the graduates of all those schools that are underfunded.

Why did they manage to graduate from the schools over 90% of the students dropped out from?

What made them graduate and not the rest?

Will any DR1er ever care to offer an answer to these questions rather than personal attacks or ridicule?

-NALs

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Simply hellerious! ..

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by NALs

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Don't bother. It won't sell. (D-of-D)

..hellerious!

Last edited:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
NALs said:
The purpose is always to help the argument gain momentum to eventually lead to some form of action.

Gee, thanks. What would we do without you?

NALs said:
But, some people can't see beyond that and resort to personal attacks.

You make it very easy.

NALs said:
For this reason I engage in debates, making sure people have something else behind their statements other than monotonous rhetoric that someone else invented.

Again, on behalf of all DR1ers, thanks for your selfless service to our collective education.

NALs said:
What I don't know is whether education leads to initiative and thus, greater wealth or initiative leads to education attainment and thus, greater wealth.

The most prosperous countries in the world have above-average education levels. Isn't it worth it to have a decent system in place? We see the penalties of not having one every day.

NALs said:
Does a college graduate becomes successful (and not all do) because he graduated or simply because of his tenacity and ambition which lead to graduating and thus, lead to him finishing everything he started?

There is a small glimmer of reason in this comment. The actual academic degree itself often does not matter. Employers seek college grads because they have shown their ability to learn new things and demonstrate their mastery of those things in written and oral form. Thus, most college grads have demonstrated a higher level of intellectual capacity than non-grads. (Obviously, this is not 100% true in every case)

NALs said:
Those kids that are graduating, the extreme minority among all school age kids in the DR, are they graduating due to their own ambition and tenacity? Are they graduating because they are responsible and have goals and good priorities? Good time management?

Probably a combination of all those reasons.

NALs said:
Why did they manage to graduate from the schools over 90% of the students dropped out from?

Because the society does not place importance on education. It's that simple.

I argue that if we did (I say "we" because I live here and consider myself part of the system), we would be much better off.

I still cannot believe that you are actually questioning whether or not a higher educated society would benefit the DR.

PS: Please take note that I called you less names in this post. ;)

Scandall

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Scandall said:
The most prosperous countries in the world have above-average education levels. Isn't it worth it to have a decent system in place? We see the penalties of not having one every day.
The most prosperous countries in the world also injected greater investment in education after those countries started to become capital intensive regions.

In other words, only after the wealth of those countries began increase, did those countries began to effectively invest in massive higher education for everybody.

Such initiative took place after World War 2 which was also the precursor to the economic boom experienced during the 1940s and 1950s which is a boom that much of the first world is still in due to economic inertia.

The question is whether the DR should first focus on becoming a capital intensive country prior to massively investing in public education? I will reiterate, public education up to the 6th grade should be well funded, it's beyond that which I am referring to.

Scandall said:
There is a small glimmer of reason in this comment. The actual academic degree itself often does not matter. Employers seek college grads because they have shown their ability to learn new things and demonstrate their mastery of those things in written and oral form. Thus, most college grads have demonstrated a higher level of intellectual capacity than non-grads. (Obviously, this is not 100% true in every case)
Since you recognize this reality, then you very well know that simply investing in education in itself will not reap the benefits people wish it would if the students don't have the will to actually take advantage of such opportunities.

Scandall said:
Because the society does not place importance on education. It's that simple.
I agree here all the way.

The question is what will investing in education do to change this? It sounds as if investing in changing the priorities of the population will be of greater concern prior to investing in public education to the degree being portrayed here.

Scandall said:
I argue that if we did (I say "we" because I live here and consider myself part of the system), we would be much better off.
Let's change the "if" to "how will you make it become such?"

Ifs are wonderful for discussion, we can if all we want. What matters is what is actually happening.

Scandall said:
I still cannot believe that you are actually questioning whether or not a higher educated society would benefit the DR.
I'm questioning whether more money thrown into education will result in what people expect it will.

If the problem is not merely financial, but rather cultural and/or a lack of ambition on the part of the students, all the money in the world will not make much of a dent in the current trends.

Please advise me when the Dominican masses protest due to lack of scholastic opportunities. Don't worry about protest about electricity, water, and roads (which they want for it to be free and constant) because whenever they do protest for that I become aware. It's those protest for better education that I am not hearing or seeing or being aware of and the reason is because people are not demanding that from either the government, the elites, not even from the expatriate community which, I suppose, has more money collectively than any given rural Dominican town.

-NALs

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
NALs said:
If the problem is not merely financial, but rather cultural and/or a lack of ambition on the part of the students, all the money in the world will not make much of a dent in the current trends.

I wholeheartedly agree with you here and addressed this issue on the latest episode of the Mangu Minute (cheap plug ;)).

Yes, the problem is not just financial but also cultural. It is a mindset that needs to be changed too. Having said that, they also need the basics...a school room with chairs, desks, supplies and teachers. Many schools do not even have those things. But we broke ground on a Metro.

Please take note that this time I completely resisted the urge to call you names. Que cosa, no?

Scandall

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Paris' Eiffel Tower??

What the hell is he smoking? Before I begin this little tirade I will just say,'Yes. I been to the top of the Eiffel Tower."

My understanding is the tower was built for the World's Fair. The only opposition I recall was that the top would not service many visitors (i dont remember whether it was built with elevators which would mean a long-ass walk up) and it would take an even longer time to dismantle the structure after the fair. You see, all the other pavillions are gone.

The Effiel tower does NOT: (1) move; (2) employ people; (2) require ventilation; (3) require seismic and water drainage; (4) require a MASSIVE energy source to operate.

(Yes, I know the Tower employs people for ticket sales and tourists crap, and elevator does move, and the restaurant near the top is tacky)

If you want a subway despite common sense....then just build the damn thing! It wont be the first DR public works project not to see completion. I KNOW, as I have worked on many light and heavy rail systems, that will be one muddy gopher hole. If they breakground and start the project near your home...SELL AND MOVE! It will not be completed for atleast 20 years (if at all) and it will be a nasty looking mess.

I like the President. He is much better than the last guy. But some things he says only confirms for me that his "Harvard" degree is definately honorary. And even that is suspect at times.
TEHAMA

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Hence my two words, ..

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by NALs

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I wholeheartedly agree with you here and addressed this issue on the latest episode of the Mangu Minute (cheap plug ;)).

Yes, the problem is not just financial but also cultural. It is a mindset that needs to be changed too. ...

Marketing Education

aegap,

-off to buy my peace of Rinc?n Bay, ..

Last edited:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
TEHAMA said:
I like the President. He is much better than the last guy. But some things he says only confirms for me that his "Harvard" degree is definately honorary. And even that is suspect at times.
TEHAMA

Funny you should mention that. I always assumed he had higher degrees but it turns out he just has a law degree from UASD. He is almost entirely self-educated beyond that. No doubt a smart guy but JFK he ain't.

Scandall

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
to add a few more:

Purchasing VERY EXPENSIVE vehicles from Germany, France or Japan.
taking vehicles in and out of service for repairs
a rail yard and keeping yard equipment from THEFT
track repair
tunnel inpsections
electrical repair

I just my biggest concern is that they will build a "death trap" underground and people will be killed. Above ground? Atleast you could jump and maybe only break a leg or arm.
TEHAMA