Tiny kitten needs a home fast.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Why nobody recommended to give raw ground lean beef or chicken? I have a litter of kittens every 6 months and mother cat usually had very little milk. So i always started to wean babies to raw meat as early as 3 weeks of age. If your kitten is walking after you its over 3 weeks for sure! Give him a tablespoon of raw chicken breast cut in thin slices, and watch hiw saying omnomnom!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not even give raw chicken to the dogs, let alone cats. nature and hunting is one thing and i understand that stray cats eat raw birds. but they do not really hunt for pre-packed, frozen and defrosted, water and antibiotic injected mass produced chickens. i would stick to milk and then some cooked, shredded meat. maybe just broth even.

Zerophsychotic

Aug 28, 2013
Hi,
I have been trying to feed Jemima every 3 to 4 hours, infact I just popped back from work to give her a syringe of milk and a belly and bum rub. I fed her before bed last night and she seemed to take quite a bit down, I then got up at around 4am to try to feed her but she wasnt interested and I dont think taak more than 1ml. This morning at 6 before work she wasnt interested either and so I left a dish of milk with her hoping it will help itself.
As far as walking around, she follws me around the kitchen, wobbles around that is. I think she is getting some strength because she is now clumbsily trying to scratch her face with her back leg and doing amusing rolly pollys around the living room. Sizewise, she is about the size of my hand, and so I dont think she can be much more than 3 or 4 weeks.

I am worried that she doesnt have a pot belly, most pups have pot bellies and is a sign well fed, she is so skinny I dont know where she is getting the energy to go on from. I dont think she is sick, I think she is just weak, dehydrated and had a very nasty start in life.

My idea that I was going to put her on the street today if no one took her has passed, and i dont like the idea of putting her in a cage with no attention in a rescue center and so Im hoping an experienced foster parent will come along to our rescue. SO I hope the thread keeps some attention so she isnt forgotten.

I didnt think any animal so young and underweight should be eating solids, and so I will hold on with the meat until I think her system can take it. I am no vet but I am a Dad and just using those old techniques and logic at the moment.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
keep up the good work. try to give her something smelly, like water from a tuna can or some broth. both should be room temperature or warmish. also, provide a water dish, just in case. and make sure jemima is warm, this is most important. she's been with you for a while and she is pulling through, it is a good sign. i so hope for the best for her and for you. if you are willing to invest money in her you can get a can of condensed goat milk, i started seeing it in supermarkets now. mix it half half with hot water and use to feed when it cools down a bit. you can add a drop of baby vitamins in it, a small spoon of oil or a yellow of an egg (raw). this is per about 100 mil portion.

i regret i cannot help more. one we are in POP and two we already took on another cat, the mother we were fostering. we really cannot have more :( but my thoughts are with you. if you are on FB check amigos de 4 patas. they are in POP but they have supporters in other places. they may post jemima's plea for help on their website ot FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Asoc...nimales-Amigos-de-4-patas-POP/119438054780507
Mission Statement

lots of good wishes from us.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Malnourished cats born to malnourished mothers are usually very small and skinny. Don't worry if you don't see a potbelly. I rescued a little kitten and gave it to my mother, whose ancient pussycat (16) had just died. She was the size of my hand also, and so skninny that I thought she was younger than she really was. After only 2 or 3 weeks of being regularly fed she did get bigger, but still skinny. She is 2 years old already, and even though she's spayed and very well fed, she's still very skinny.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
I wish I lived closer, I am in Sosua.......Do as Dv8 says and keep the kitty warm!! .....we took in a 3 week old kitten back in the States, it was so thin (never did get a belly) and wobbly.....We would sit with it between us or in our lap on a nice fuzzy blanket, it would only eat after it had curled up under the blanket and slept .....maybe it is not warm enough...somehow cats can take the heat! Good luck and keep everyone posted

Zerophsychotic

Aug 28, 2013
Thankyou both.
I just had a bit of a breakthrough. I kind of force fed her an hour ago as she hadnt taken much over the last 10 hours. She got a good guzzling, against her wishes but about 20 minutes after i gave her the belly bum rub she sat in the lounge and did a poo, then another one, and then staggered forwards a bit and popped out a little bit more, I was astonished as it was not liquid, it was pretty solid ish.

So I have now cut up salami and left a bit for her if she feels she can. I would never have thought the tiny bit has taken in could create poo, but its good news i expect.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
good job! and she did it on her own too! solid is a good sign, really small kitties do more of a loose stuff. chop salami in tiny pieces then, she cannot have many teeth yet.

for the future you can use a shoe box or shoe box lid lined with newspapers. put jemima inside after every meal, at least 2-3 times. she will realize it's the pooping place :)

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Why nobody recommended to give raw ground lean beef or chicken? I have a litter of kittens every 6 months and mother cat usually had very little milk. So i always started to wean babies to raw meat as early as 3 weeks of age. If your kitten is walking after you its over 3 weeks for sure! Give him a tablespoon of raw chicken breast cut in thin slices, and watch hiw saying omnomnom!
Did you actually breed cats as a business or did you just allow her to keep on having babies rather than getting her sterilized?
I would agree with dv8....raw chicken with fragile kittens is a no no in my book too

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
The shoebox idea with shredded paper is great......cats do not like to poop where they live!....Have had cats for over 35 years and once they know where to go they go! Sand also works! No raw chicken I used to mix rice with chicken broth and it seemed to be appealing....

Zerophsychotic

Aug 28, 2013
I have had a great day. We took the cat to the beach, and soon realized that you do that with dogs, the cat just kept jumping back in the towel and I had a fight with a tough guy with a dog he could not control.

You see, headaches!!

But I have kind of fallen in love with little Jemima, and if someone was to take her from me, I would have strong motions (as on the beach).

Cats are not beach animals!!!!

My daughter will not alow me to rehome her, ..........................................................disaster.

Really, I do not want this cat, if someone wants her please tell me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha ha ha, trapped in a cat love, i see? :)

cats are definitely NOT beach animals. you can teach them to accompany you on trips out, ride in cars with no cage, go out for walks on a leash. if you decide to keep jemima and make her a dog-cat i suggest you give her time to recover, recuperate and perk up. maybe 2 more weeks so she is stronger, fatter and more sure that she will not be thrown away again. then teach her slowly and she may make a great animal to accompany you on short outings (although never as much as a dog).

i fully understand you... we took in a homeless pregnant cat. we were supposed to help her with the kittens and then release. the kittens are now gone and poor puryear slaves away as their human minion. and the mother... she's like "no, i'm good here, thanks for asking". she spends whole day napping and begging for treats. we did not want another cat. but we cannot just toss her out after the hell she's been through (she was very sick as two kittens were stuck dead inside, a surgery saved her life). and she is such a cool, loving and tender animal, who likes to be petted and in the mornings she is so overjoyed to see us it's almost comical.

so yeah, i know the feeling. on one hand you really do not need anymore trouble and on the other hand the little bastard has already stolen some hearts :)

my best advice is to keep working on her for now so she gains some weight and strength. ideal time to give away a kitten is at 2 months. it will be fully litter trained, eating dry food and capable of being on its own: going out in the garden, playing and so on. keep this thread going to soften hearts :) post few pictures. this will also give you time to decide whether you want the kitty or not. and it will also give dr1ers time to ponder if they need a kitty who has beaten the odds :)

good luck yet again.

Maco

Apr 6, 2008
I have had a great day. We took the cat to the beach, and soon realized that you do that with dogs, the cat just kept jumping back in the towel and I had a fight with a tough guy with a dog he could not control.

You see, headaches!!

But I have kind of fallen in love with little Jemima, and if someone was to take her from me, I would have strong motions (as on the beach).

Cats are not beach animals!!!!

My daughter will not alow me to rehome her, ..........................................................disaster.

Really, I do not want this cat, if someone wants her please tell me.

This kitten is now officially yours! LOL! Embrace her...you are her hero!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
But I have kind of fallen in love with little Jemima.

and you wanna know why? this is why:

2iay6ix.gif

:)

inet

Aug 31, 2013
Hi Zero!
I'll take it if you're still looking for a new home for her. I live in calle Las Damas in the colonial zone. PM me for address and phone to get in touch.
Slds!!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Danilo killed his first mouse yesterday. And for two nights in a row, I have not had cat claws in my butt while sleeping. And they sleep in the bed in between the dogs. I'd say all is well, but I know that they are only trying to get me to let my guard down while they plot.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it may be silence before the storm :) they are now plotting against you. and there is only one of you and five of them.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Yes i breed cats, i have Sphynx, those bald kitties. Remember, cats are carnivores! they are made to eat raw meat! im pretty sure mother cat doesnt cook mice or birds for her kittens. I feed my dogs and cats raw and they are healthy and happy. I raised many litters of kittens on raw starting at 3-4 weeks, none died or had health issues! Salami can cause way more harm because it contains too much stuff besides meat (if any), fat, plus spices! Raw meat is most natural and healthy food after mother's milk to kitten. You will see how much faster she will grow and how strong she will become after she will start eating meat! i talk from experience! they are not human babies! we are different cmon!

8659b9bdb6e8.jpg

Thats my 4 weeks old kittens eating raw! plate was full!

Did you actually breed cats as a business or did you just allow her to keep on having babies rather than getting her sterilized?
I would agree with dv8....raw chicken with fragile kittens is a no no in my book too

Last edited:

Zerophsychotic

Aug 28, 2013
The kitten has made real progress, she is eating solids constantly, she eats more than our toddler, she has figured out how to climb onto the bed, and up and down the back of the sofa, she is a real bundle of energy and doing all the things I expect any other kitten does. So she is ready to go, so like I said, we can drop off anywhere in Santo Domingo.